Hey MAINERS get off your butt !

This is a discussion on Hey MAINERS get off your butt ! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, After the shooting today we need to hammer home a point on pending bill LD1000. This bill gives state universities total power to regulate ...

Thread: Hey MAINERS get off your butt !

Hey MAINERS get off your butt !

Guys,
    After the shooting today we need to hammer home a point on pending bill LD1000.

This bill gives state universities total power to regulate guns on campus.

Based on the Utah ruling, Univ.Maine realized they could only ask students not to bring guns on campus. Pending law will give universities the power to make laws and penalties.

The argument was made that it's a contract between the student renting a dorm room and university. The supreme court struck down a similar plan- when renters in public housing were prohibited from owning guns.

This also goes into the issue of the delinieation between campus and city. Let's say you have a CCW permit and walk down the roads of Portland or Farmington.... Did you step on campus?

Do you visit your kids at UMaine ? Stop by the library? All will be impossible.

Current Maine State law does not allow for any local preemption aside from noise ordinances - why start now?

This bill is currently before the Joint Committe on Criminal Justice and Public Safety, and I have listed the board members below.
    Write letters, make calls, get the word out.

Senator Bill Diamond (D-Cumberland), Chair

Senator Earle L. McCormick (R-Kennebec)

Senator Roger L. Sherman (R-Aroostook)

Representative Stan Gerzofsky (D-Brunswick), Chair

Representative Patricia A. Blanchette (D-Bangor)

Representative Anne M. Haskell (D-Portland)

Representative Stephen P. Hanley (D-Gardiner)

Representative Dawn Hill (D-York)

Representative Bryan T. Kaenrath (D-South Portland)

Representative Richard M. Sykes (R-Harrison)*

Representative Christian D. Greeley (R-Levant)

Representative Gary E. Plummer (R-Windham)

Representative Joseph L. Tibbetts (R-Columbia)

2. Remove Ads

me
    what Utah ruling?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    The University of Utah was told they could not keep students from carrying a gun on campus. I don't know it would impact Maine, it should have just been a state issue- but I suppose I could remember wrong and it may have been in a federal court.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

This was the one thing I didn't (couldn't) hang out for when they had the hearing at the state house early this month . Will definitely be hitting up my reps on this issue to block this bill .

UT ruling has no direct bearing on Maine, but the circumstances are the same. It opened the eyes of a few folks in Maine, and the univeristy is trying to change the law to allow university control of firearm policy.

Under current law, the university can not outlaw / ban / regulate guns.

students, c'mon to maine.... just dont plan on finding a good job here !

VIP Member
    I had a good friend that played field hockey there in the mid-90s. Guess the lack of jobs explains why she left.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

PTMMATSSC,
    I also attended the work session last week and it was pretty revealing. While it at first appeared common sense to let them regulate, some big issues came up. Especially there is no precedent for local preemption, and the university would have power over the LAWS, not rules nor policies. Laws can thus be written and changed by non-elected non-officials. Also mentioned was the implication of walking down the street after the university implements some new gun rules...

Some members of the committe raised the point that there was no problem yet - and they were suspicious of the university pushing a law that would have "no impact" because they assume the university has something in mind.

We had some good support from Rep Hanley. He is very sharp. We chatted after the session and he's got a good sense of the severity of this bill, and the horrible precedent it would set.

However, this bill was the only anti-gun bill that wasn't killed. It is still tabled and will be up again. Potentially in late August or September, I don't know if it has been scheduled yet.

But with the oncoming press wave about the incident today, we need not be sheep on this one.

I do not mean to sound harsh or disrespectful, but the shooting today will gain massive momentum. Either anti gun, or possibly - maybe - give the pro guns a boost. Luby's did more for the pro-gun than anything else I can imagine. And I know that sounds awful.

So the trigger lock bill , CCW requirements , and reciprocity bill were all killed?

Again , I'm in the middle of writing my reps on this . Also am writing letters to both sun journal and kennebec journal against this bill . I'm sure this will be brought up at the next meeting my club has . Luckily we have a good number of very active people that will let their voices be heard on this issue , especially with current events showing what happens when schools dictate that students relinquish their right to self defense .

Let's see if I can get this to work - Maine Update

Links