Best way to respond to CCW questions? - Page 2

Best way to respond to CCW questions?

This is a discussion on Best way to respond to CCW questions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JohnKelly Any suggestions as to how to tactfully evade? I know you said you didn't want to lie, but just say no ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to respond to CCW questions?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Any suggestions as to how to tactfully evade?
    I know you said you didn't want to lie, but just say no or "I do sometimes". The only time anyone (-police) needs to know you have one is if you were unfortunate enough to be in a situation to use it.

Besides, what are they going to do, pat you down? :)

I'd answer "No" and state that I endorse and support the rights of citizens to do so, because to answer yes would mean that...I just gave up my concealment.
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

You Carry a GUN?

"Only when I'm wearing pants."

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Are there legal ramifications to telling that you are carrying? Is it part of concealment to not let anyone know? I dont remember reading anything in WA state law that addressed it. It only addressed when you must reveal it it (police, when asked).

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Holyroller

You can tell anyone you want.

Do you remember the meyers brigg that most everyone in here took not to long ago and the majority of people on this forum are introverts.

As an extrovert, I pretty much tell anyone anything they ask me. There are 20 people in my office I love most of them like family so I have no secrets from them!
    Last edited by Timmy Jimmy; April 19th, 2007 at 04:24 AM.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I frequently inform people of the steps involved in obtaining a CCW, which inevitably leads to the "Do you have one?" question. To which I will either relpy "Yes", or show them my permit, sometimes both. It isn't like I am trying to brag about having one or impress anyone. (If you were to ever meet me, you will likely not be impressed either, at least my wife doesn't seem to be.)

It is this type of thinking that prompted a co-worker to go get his CCW. This is also the guy that two years ago said to me that the gov't will never try to take away guns because too many people have them. Monday morning, before the shootings had stopped he looked at me and asked "You know what "they" are going to try to do now?"

If the conversation becomes confrontational, I simply let them embarass themselves. It usually happens.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

i agree with most here. if it's "cool" to say i am, i will. but this is where you have to give your own interview. i know i don't want the hassle of the ignorance and paranoia of an individual who might involve me in a detaining conversation where in the end, flashing lights blind me as it happens.

it has never come up personally, for me. I'm so concealed most of the time now... i forget.
    What's this button do?

Generally I'll say yes. If I don't feel like answering, I'll say "That's kind of like asking about my underwear" with a smile.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I usually tell people it takes thirty seconds to bleed out if your neck is slashed. It can take 15 minutes for the police to respond. SCOTUS has determined that police don't have to respond to a call. I told my mom Monday that's why I carry, I may die but I want a chance to survive and that is why I don't go to free fire zones. For those that want to know about the laws I direct them to the state's website.

I then answer any question to the best of my ability, if I don't have an answer I'll tell them that I will get back to them.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

If we can't talk about it quietly I will tell them "Yes I have a permit and no I am not wearing a gun." I would then try to change the subject. When we could speak privately I might explain that I am wearing a holster and I am carrying a gun in the holster I am wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    Are there legal ramifications to telling that you are carrying? Is it part of concealment to not let anyone know? I dont remember reading anything in WA state law that addressed it. It only addressed when you must reveal it it (police, when asked).
    You can tell anyone you want. In fact you don't even *have* to conceal if you don't want to. WA is a state where it is perfectly legal to open carry if you wish.

Thanks!
    Greg

Thanks everyone... I too feel like a sort of "ambassador" for CCW. Especially after the Virginia Tech massacre.

I think I will allow conversations to take the natural course, providing the person I'm talking to is genuinely seeking information. Being evasive (other than on the "are you carrying now" question) only serves to dissuade potential future CCW'ers. Too much at stake anymore these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links