Best way to respond to CCW questions?

This is a discussion on Best way to respond to CCW questions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've spoken to several people about gun control, laws, obtaining a gun and even a concealed carry permit. Since some of the less knowledgeable people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to respond to CCW questions?

Best way to respond to CCW questions?

I've spoken to several people about gun control, laws, obtaining a gun and even a concealed carry permit. Since some of the less knowledgeable people have no idea carry laws even exist, they ask how can you protect yourself if you don't have gun with you, I respond by recommending a concealed carry permit, and the natural evolution of the conversation leads to the inevitable questions:

"Do you have a carry permit?"

... followed by ...

"You 're wearing a GUN?!?!"

Refusing to answer the question more or less confirms that you have a permit and/or carry a gun. I'm not going to lie, and since these are friends/associates I don't want to say "that's none of your business" (which would also confirm the question).

Any suggestions as to how to tactfully evade?

Also, I wouldn't put it past some of them to make an attempt to pat me down, thinking it was "cute" or "funny" to do so. Short of snapping the wrist of the first person to try, any ideas here?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I would say yes, becuase I can't carry a cop.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Tough one, but if they asked you "how can I protect myself?" they are already of the proper mindset. Admiting that one would have to take care of oneself is a huge step in the right direction. When they ask "do you have one now?" you can just lead them down the path of "concealed means concealed" and "it's best if everyone doesn't know"

And the always useful...

"why do I carry a gun, because you don't."
    -Biker

Senior Moderator
    I would have no problem saying, "Yes. I carry a concealed firearm."

If you are trying to convince someone of the benefits of concealed carry and you are going to tell them to get a concealed carry permit but you are unwilling to tell them that YOU carry, it's kind of detrimental to your cause.

I keep my carry status pretty quiet, but if the conversation is brought up I'll share. Most of the time people are VERY surprised to find I carry, but whether I like it or not, I'm an ambassador for the concealed carry argument.

When people start to talk about concealed weapons either in a positive or negative light, I feel obligated to take part in the conversation and stick up for our side. I don't tell everyone that I talk to about the issue that I carry, but there are a few people I have told. At first they are usually surprised, they ask questions, I answer them to the best of my knowledge and they go away possibly thinking about how pleasantly surprised they are that they met a good, kind young lady who was also carrying a gun. It can show them that not everyone who carries (in fact a very very VERY small percentage of us) is uncouth, rude, ignorant, backward and offensive people who sit around kissing our guns and waiting for the chance to blow someone's head off.

I used to wonder where that image of us came from until I watched snippets from the movie "Bowling for Columbine."

I'll admit, I do not like Micheal Moore AT ALL but he does one fine job of digging up and displaying the absolute worst of any people he decides to pick on that day.

In some of the movie that I saw he interviews "gun" people and I swear he worked HARD to find THE MOST idiotic gun people he could find. I was sitting there CRINGING as I was listening to what some of these people were saying. No wonder the average citizens looks at us negatively. Our "spokespersons" on these movies, shows, and media are the worse gun advocates you can find in any state.

We need to counter that and the only way we CAN counter it is by showing our cards every now and then.

I'm not going to open carry or paint a sign on my back, but if it comes up in polite conversation I will at least stick up for concealed carry and if appropriate in the scope of the conversation and the audience present, share my status as a concealed permit holder.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Any suggestions as to how to tactfully evade?

Also, I wouldn't put it past some of them to make an attempt to pat me down, thinking it was "cute" or "funny" to do so. Short of snapping the wrist of the first person to try, any ideas here?
    I'm not ashamed of the fact that I carry a handgun, and will always be happy to inform a friend or even an acquaintance that I freely and proudly carry to protect myself and my family. I might inquire why they don't care as much about their own lives and the lives of their family (depending on their attitude.) If they choose to end a friendship over the matter, then it really wasn't a friendship to begin with and I'm better off in the long run.

As far as someone attempting to "pat me down". I would place my elbow over the handle of my handgun and step away. If they wish to see my handgun, I'd be happy to invite them to my next range visit so they can view it up close and even fire it.

Thanks!
    Greg

When asked if I carry, I try to discern the person’s intent. If we are out of earshot, and the person is sincere, I may tell them I carry and invite them to the range with me.

If, however, I don’t know the person’s intent, or we are within earshot of others, I will respond by saying, “that’s not a question a gentleman (or lady, as the case may be) asks a gentleman in polite society.” If the person is a gun person, he or she may recognize the reference to the Heinlein quote, and leave it at that, or strike up another conversation later in private. If he or she is not a gun person, it tends to stop further pursuit of the question.

If the person continues to ask, I usually say, “if you are rude enough to continue to ask, I’ll be rude enough to answer.” If they ask again, I tell them it’s none of their d--- business. I’ve never had anyone pursue the question beyond this point.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Since I am an instructor for the MN carry permit it would be kind of hard to say I don't carry. Also bad for business. If I am talking to a total stranger it is usually because they called me asking about my course so they assume I carry from the start. As a result I am not as worried about people knowing I carry.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I would have no problem saying, "Yes. I carry a concealed firearm."

If you are trying to convince someone of the benefits of concealed carry and you are going to tell them to get a concealed carry permit but you are unwilling to tell them that YOU carry, it's kind of detrimental to your cause.

I keep my carry status pretty quiet, but if the conversation is brought up I'll share. Most of the time people are VERY surprised to find I carry, but whether I like it or not, I'm an ambassador for the concealed carry argument.

When people start to talk about concealed weapons either in a positive or negative light, I feel obligated to take part in the conversation and stick up for our side. I don't tell everyone that I talk to about the issue that I carry, but there are a few people I have told.

We need to counter that and the only way we CAN counter it is by showing our cards every now and then.

I'm not going to open carry or paint a sign on my back, but if it comes up in polite conversation I will at least stick up for concealed carry and if appropriate in the scope of the conversation and the audience present, share my status as a concealed permit holder.

Well said +1.

I have no problem saying "yes I carry".
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

If ask if I carry I wouldanswer as long as I'm not in a croud of people.I would ask this person if he or she would like to accompany to the range sometime. Then I would ask if they carryand if not why.

'As long as you don't try to harm me or my family, you will never know for sure!'
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I'd also answer if not in a crowded place, and I'd try to answer in a lighthearted - no big deal -way. Not a hint of apology or menace in my voice, tone, or mannerisms. Then I'd tell them that it's no big deal for normal folks to decide not to be helpless, that they would be suprised how many times a day they come in contact with a licensed hangun carrier.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

'what? you don't??" while stepping back, looking like in extreme fear...

or "I have to, I'm allergic to the chalk they use to outline bodies..."

I would also have no problem saying "yes I carry". It is my right to carry and I would let them know that because I am a law abiding american I exercise that right to carry. (also I carry to protect my wife and the new one on the way - pictured left)
    "The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."
    - Patrick Henry

Depends on the person, situation, and my relationship with that person. If it's a good friend in private, I certainly tell them if I'm carrying, although most of that group already know I often do. If it's anyone outside that group, my standard response is "I don't always carry." If they ask again if I am now, the next response is: "Sometimes I carry, sometimes I don't. If I tell people when I'm carrying, that defeats the purpose of concealed carry."

I've got a standard answer, since sometimes as a result of a speech I give they figure out where my values are at regarding self-defense.

They ask...I answer in a bit of a joking manner, "Hey, that's kind of personal, almost like asking a lady her age...heh heh." They don't know quite what to think, which is just what I want.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links