Alcohol and concealed carry

This is a discussion on Alcohol and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; North Carolina has 0 tolerance regarding the use of alcohol while carrying. Even if they didn't I wouldn't drink even one beer when carrying. At ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry while consuming alcohol?

Voters
458. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

43 9.39%
  • No.

227 49.56%
  • I don't drink.

89 19.43%
  • Only if it's a single drink.

99 21.62%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

North Carolina has 0 tolerance regarding the use of alcohol while carrying. Even if they didn't I wouldn't drink even one beer when carrying. At this point in my life I drink very little and I can "feel" the efects of just one and don't want to reduce the acuity of my senses.

Jim

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    No way, don't even get near a firearm with a drop in me. It's akin to drunk driving, and that is one restriction the state put out that I agree with.

However, I believe that it should be modified, so that patrons that are not drinking can carry in restauruants and pool halls, etc..
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I seldom drink these days...but I had plenty in my youth. If a beer a day was healthy, I'm probably good through the year 2087...

ret
    THANKS RET
    HA! You reminded me of my past. I was just reading the rest of the posts after voting and writing that I wouldn't drink and carry, but failed to say I'd already drank a gasoline tanker full earlier in my life! Thank goodness things changed for the better.

Jim

this reminds me of another discussion i took part in. i belong to another forum, THR, and someone there complained that because he had 3 DUI arrests, he is barred from ever getting a CCL. my response was, "well, duh!" he thinks that because he's (finally) rehabilitated, he should now be allowed to carry. maybe i'm wrong, but i think three arrests for DUI show a pattern of irresponsible behavior and a total lack of judgement.

drinking and driving is illegal for a reason. i think the same rationale should apply to drinking and carrying. a person maybe a perfectly responsible carrier, but alcohol effectively negates your ability to act and react responsibly. if i were a drinker, i would not even think about carrying a loaded gun.

VIP Member
    I voted no , but have carried while at home and have a few..If I'm out and carrying, I never drink at all.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I do drink (the best vodka in the world Tito's Handmade Vodka made right here in Austin).

The Texas CHL law prohibits any alcohol at all so I never drink out of the house anymore. Now my wife does not drink at all, and is getting her CHL in July so then I can hand her my weapon and have a drink with dinner.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by yci View Post
    I do not have any alcohol when I carry. Because of that, I almost never have any alcohol any more. Maybe half a beer every six months with friends, and then I make sure I don't have my guns around. Just don't want the two to mix.

As I just got my CCW today I think this is the road I am going down.

Not that I feel that one drink bothers me at all, but I don't need the liability of that to be compounded on me for having to use my weapon.

If I am to drink, I will be at my home or another friends. At that point, the guns are put up and the wife drives.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Honestly, this is the kind of thread I wouldn't respond to but after reading it I feel I have something to add that no one else has so I will... Here goes,

I am a brewer... I started as part of a job I once had and continued because it was a fun and tasty challenge. In that time I have converted many friends to home brewing. We all CCW. In CT it's kind of a requirement (check the stats). We all carry whenever we're awake and we all brew beer. Occasionally we do tastings...It's simply in the very nature of circumstance that we carry and drink... For us it is a simple matter of:

Drink + Brewing log (notepad) = probably carrying
    Drink - Brewing log = absolutly no carrying ever!!!

I do believe there is a difference between Tasting and Drinking. At least that's how I behave.

APBT

Away from home, I will allow myself a single drink while carrying. I've been carrying a year, and it hasn't happened yet...
    At home I drink fairly frequently but not very much at a time. On the rare occasions I have a third drink I'll put it away. Drink here is a beer, or a mixed drink with a measured 1 ounce shot, and I'm 250 lbs.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I stopped drinking alcohol about 6 years ago, so now it's a non-issue.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Don't drink, but as John Wayne said in the Shootist "This Who hit john doesn't mix with guns."
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

DC Founder
    I'm similar to several above. I said no, but have, occasionally, in my own home had a glass of wine while carrying. Never while away from home or while driving. My drinking is very infrequent; a six pack of beer takes me months to finish. I also never have enough to get drunk or even feel like I am under any artificial influence. If I ever do, I won't be carrying.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

This came up on another forum & the general consensus was if you shouldn't be driving (booze, prescription drugs, etc) then you shouldn't be carrying.

Sometimes I drink like a fish
    BUT
    I dont mix Guns and Booze
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links