Alcohol and concealed carry - Page 4

Alcohol and concealed carry

This is a discussion on Alcohol and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nope. Only if at home, might have a beer. Out and about never. SY...

View Poll Results: Do you carry while consuming alcohol?

Voters
458. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

43 9.39%
  • No.

227 49.56%
  • I don't drink.

89 19.43%
  • Only if it's a single drink.

99 21.62%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

Nope. Only if at home, might have a beer. Out and about never.

SY

I never drink and carry. Yesterday I stopped on the way home to have a beer with a friend I haven't seen in a while.

Before I left work, while still parked, I unloaded my handgun and stored it in the trunk. I did this knowing I was only going to have one beer.

It may seem silly to disarm just to have one beer, but I value my license to carry, and I wouldn't risk any behavior that could get it taken away.

As a larger issue, I believe judgment is the first thing lost under the influence of alcohol - and judgment is a pretty critical component, while carrying a firearm.

In NC, we cannot carry inside a facility that serves alcohol, so that limits severely regardless.

I voted yes. By law I can't carry in bars (haven't been to one in years anyway) or resturants that serve (hope this changes soon) but have had a couple of drinks while at friends houses (not to mention at home)
    Personally if you're going to put a restriction on it, then I think the same laws that apply to DUI's should apply to peoples carry permits and if you break those law's, then be punished for it (like any other crime).
    Last edited by Rotorflyr; April 22nd, 2007 at 11:27 AM.

When I am in a restaurant that serves alcohol, I am open carrying (can't carry concealed there in Virginia) so I have to think of the image I am portraying to the public of our defensive gun carrying community. Nevertheless, I will consume a light beer with my meal, but never more than one; when it's gone I switch to icewater. That's really not much different than my behavior before I carried. Virginia law prohibits me from being legally intoxicated while carrying; it does not prohibit having a drink.

Administrator
    I've occasionally had a beer or or one mixed drink with a meal while carrying concealed and out to dinner.
    It's a perfectly legal thing to do in Pennsylvania.
    I'm a responsible adult.
    I like to go out and enjoy a complete meal.
    I sure do know how to count to the number "one"
    If that bothers anybody then please remind me never to buy you dinner.

Sometimes I do have two desserts though.
    Especially if they serve good pie.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    I have to correct a previous post.

I said I don't drink and carry

Well today I had a beer (Only one left now) while I was grilling and my trusty .380 was (and is) on my hip.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    When I am in a restaurant that serves alcohol, I am open carrying (can't carry concealed there in Virginia) so I have to think of the image I am portraying to the public of our defensive gun carrying community. Nevertheless, I will consume a light beer with my meal, but never more than one; when it's gone I switch to icewater. That's really not much different than my behavior before I carried. Virginia law prohibits me from being legally intoxicated while carrying; it does not prohibit having a drink.
    Same quandry I'm in(the restaurant thing). So I don't have more than one drink when I'm out. I feel as a responsible adult I can enjoy one or two drinks without allowing myself to become impaired and since I never take my gun off except for sleep and shower, that means I have on occassion had more than one drink while I'm carrying at home. I find others interesting in that they seem to have this odd theory that as soon as anyone has one sip of an alcoholic beverage that suddenly they're going to loose all sense of reason. Alcohol is just like anything else we put in our bodies. It can be and is ABUSED. The difference is where each of us knows where and when to draw the line. A reasonable person knows their own limit and STOPS long before they reach it. Something to think about...one drink for a 5'6 130lb'r is going to affect them a whole lot differently than say someone like me at 6'1 220lbs and in very good health. My sister would be a clear example of that one. If she carried I would advise her not to drink AT ALL. She's one of those unfortunate souls that seems to loose herself after one dose of NightQuil while sick. Others clearly think differently and that's fine for them. Everyone is entitled to there opinion so I'm not going to attack anyone over it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Interesting difference in Ohio, Jofrdo - the law here says, "under the influence of alcohol" vs. "legally intoxicated".

Doc

Poll Qualifiers

I typically don't drink, and have not been drunk in 15 years.

It would be rare for me to order a drink out in public, but I retain the liberty to do so.

If I did order, it would typically be a beer -- one beer only and then I remind my self that my judgement and reaction time might be impaired for the next half hour or so.

I don't hang out in bars and I don't hang out with drunks.

As a timely illustration: I was supposed to have dinner with a friend last night. When I got to his house, he was ripped. It's pointless to argue with a drunk so I asked him to get me something from another room and while he was gone I left.

I don't get drunk and I don't hang out with drunks, but I retain the liberty to have a beer with a meal.

Florida prohibits firearm use while under the influence (which I think means > 0.0%, ANY alcohol). BUT, self-defense is specifically exempted.

I answered NO.....Im 23 years old and like many my age tend to drink heavily when Im out with my buddies. Even tho this may render me less able to defend myself if something would go down I feel there certain things you never mix with alcohol......1 being a car, and 2 guns. Mixing those usually is a recipe for disaster.

In my experience most people who legally carry are very responsible and alcohol is not a problem. I answered one drink because I used to shoot at the overseas military rod and gun club with a beer setting next to my pistol at the range. Everyone did and we never had a problem. Later someone made a rule and booze was banned from the range area. No problem. That was in my younger days. Now I have a drink about 3 or 4 times a week just one, for medicinal purposes. I don't even feel it but my wife and I enjoy a cocktail at night. I drink a Gin and tonic to protect from malaria. Ergo, I have never had an attack of malaria.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I'm a college student, what can I say? Actually, I do drink once or twice every couple months, staying the night at a friend's house with the car keys, gun safe and keys to that in whoever is not drinking possesion. No reason not to have a little fun while I'm young and stupid.

I have had ONE drink ONCE while carrying. A super weak small Bahama Mama at a bowling alley, LOL. And vowed never to do it again for just reasons. I know when to say no, but I'd rather not play with fire just the same.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I am responsible enough to have one drink while out to dinner with my wife while carrying. And I will even drive home.

I have had my BAC tested a half hour after eating dinner and consuming two beers. It was a 0.01... That is cough syrup territory... We all know how BACs work and everyone is different, but since I never drink more than two beers whether it is dinner or a fourth of July party, I think I am ok.

The question should be; Are you responsible enough to consume a serving of alcohol while carrying or before driving? If you can't say no to someone buying you a beer, the answer is no.

I can't count the number of free drinks that I have either turned down or left sitting on the table.
    Last edited by American Pit Bull; April 20th, 2007 at 11:53 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links