Alcohol and concealed carry

This is a discussion on Alcohol and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldMick Interesting difference in Ohio, Jofrdo - the law here says, "under the influence of alcohol" vs. "legally intoxicated". While that may ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry while consuming alcohol?

Voters
458. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

43 9.39%
  • No.

227 49.56%
  • I don't drink.

89 19.43%
  • Only if it's a single drink.

99 21.62%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    Interesting difference in Ohio, Jofrdo - the law here says, "under the influence of alcohol" vs. "legally intoxicated".
    While that may be true, the Ohio Basic Code also states*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    73.01 DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS.
    (A) (1) No person shall operate any vehicle within this municipality, if, at the time of the operation, any of the following apply:

(a) The person is under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or a combination of them.

(b) The person has a concentration of 0.08% or more but less than 0.17% by weight per unit volume of alcohol in the personís whole blood.

(c) The person has a concentration of 0.096% or more but less than 0.204% by weight per unit volume of alcohol in the personís blood serum or plasma.

(d) The person has a concentration of 0.08 grams or more but less than 0.17 grams by weight of alcohol per 210 liters of the personís breath.

(e) The person has a concentration of 0.11 grams or more but less than 0.238 grams by weight of alcohol per 100 milliliters of the personís urine.

(f) The person has a concentration of 0.17% or more by weight per unit volume of alcohol in the personís whole blood.

(g) The person has a concentration of 0.204% or more by weight per unit volume of alcohol in the personís blood serum or plasma.

(h) The person has a concentration of 0.17 grams or more by weight of alcohol per 210 liters of the personís breath.

(i) The person has a concentration of 0.238 grams or more by weight of alcohol per 100 milliliters of the personís urine
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is also the only reference to "Under the influence" that I could find with a basic search, (there may be different definitions when it comes to boating), but didn't find anything defining "Under the influence" as relating to firearms, so this would be a fair comparison as a starting point. If you can cite a different code pertaining to Alcohol and Firearms, please do as I'd like to see it.

*As relating to Driving "Under the influence" per the basic state code, local ordances may vay

2. Remove Ads

i voted no even though i do drink at home and carry. if i'm out drinking it's usually at a bar with friends and i don't carry at bars. it's not worth it even though the catch 22 is that it's probably one of biggest place i go where i think i would need to defend myself. still not worth it though.
    What's this button do?

If I plan to go ....say.... out to dinner and drink I dont carry. Not a big drinker anyway. I just dont consume alcohol when carrying.
    Best,
    JP
    D/FW, TX

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I will do what in my opinion most refuse to do. I voted yes...with a stipulation, if I choose to have 2 or 3 beers in the comfort of my own home I will NOT disarm myself. I am convinced that those of you that choose to drink in your home feel likewise, and if you do not choose to admit to that I pass no judgement. I do not drink to excess, if I were in public it would be a different story just based on the potential public outcry if found out.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I never drink to get drunk anyway and I only drink in the house, not in public so I don't feel I should disarm. I'm not even sure if I would disarm if I was to go drinking in public. Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but from my experience, alcohol doesn't really seem to have that much of an effect on my judgment or motorskills, at least enough for me to consider disarming. But like I said, I don't drink enough get drunk so the most I ever really have is a few beers or what have you.
    What gun would Jesus Carry?

You left out:

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

No.

Why would a person do this and unnecesarily expose themselves to criminal if not civil liability, or worst reduce their physical sharpness on the off chance that they need to ude their defensive arm while having alcohol in their system. Effects of alcohol begin with a single drink even as we might not 'feel' or notice as much.

When carrying I drink juice and root beer only, and even that in limited amounts thanks to the effects of the sugar.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I don't imbibe. I'm extremely introverted and it reduces my shyness.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I drink and carry.

at home.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I enjoy a good import beer with a good steak or a good gourmet burger or some mexican food, I enjoy a good wine with good Italian food.

I will only drink either one beer or one glass of wine at certain meals, not because of the alcohol per se' but because the flavors go well with certain foods.

I am an adult with good judgement and I am not going to deny myself the opportunity to fully enjoy a $30 meal as rare as they are and feel I must give up my ability to defend myself or my wife to have a nice dinner every once and a while.

If I am armed it is never more than one! Period! I do have self control!

And again, it is rare when I do that. Maybe 4 or 5 times a year will I have a drink with a meal and be armed at the same time.

If I have more than one drink, I won't be driving and I won't be armed.

I see no problem with that, and my attorney who would be used for a self defense shooting has no problem with that. I have checked into that situation during my pre-planning strategy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I do my drinking at home. Driving or carrying while drinking carry too much negitive potential. John Barleycorn and I are good friends, John Browming and I are good friends, Henry Ford and I are good friends. ONE FRIEND AT A TIME!!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    It dulls my edge too much, so no.

I drink but very rarely and even then, it is very little. Never get drunk, not since I was 22 or 23 and in the Navy. Actually, the last time I was drunk was in Jebal Ali, a port in the United Arab Emirates, and that was the night that the Iraqi forces surrendered in 1991. There was an Australian supply ship on the same pier as us and they started handing out Fosters and everyone got pretty drunk.

But, never drink while I have a gun on my hip. Never.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I'll drink my physician-recommended two glasses of (icky..very icky..."tannat") red wine per day just before I go to bed.

Sometimes I am still carrying, sometimes not. Either way, a gun isn't far away.

But other than that, that's it. Alcohol and guns do not mix well.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Actually, the last time I was drunk was in Jebal Ali, a port in the United Arab Emirates
    God, I thought I would never hear the name of that God forsaken dung hole again.

Thanks for the memories, shipmate!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links