Alcohol and concealed carry

This is a discussion on Alcohol and concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this topic has been done before, but I want to do a poll on it. How many here drink, and if you do, ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry while consuming alcohol?

Voters
458. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

43 9.39%
  • No.

227 49.56%
  • I don't drink.

89 19.43%
  • Only if it's a single drink.

99 21.62%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

Alcohol and concealed carry

I know this topic has been done before, but I want to do a poll on it.

How many here drink, and if you do, do you carry when you drink, leave it at home, etc...
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

2. Remove Ads

I had a sip of a margarita the other day and that is it in the last 6 months while carrying.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

No way, don't even get near a firearm with a drop in me. It's akin to drunk driving, and that is one restriction the state put out that I agree with.

However, I believe that it should be modified, so that patrons that are not drinking can carry in restauruants and pool halls, etc..

I never drink to excess these days, but I won't have even a single drink if I'm carrying out and about.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Thanks for the responses, guys. There's actually a good reason for this poll; while not scientific, it could be referenced as a good indicator of prevalence of alcohol consumption among those of us who carry on a regular basis.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

This is a very touchy subject for most. There is a lot of opinion involved in this realm.

Yes, I will say I have and I do. Personal limits are one thing, but one's thoughts on the coming together of alcohol and firearms should be considered something different.

Instead of trusting one's self and one's limits in this arena (which I would never recommend), I would strongly encourage studying and following the laws/statutes/ordinances of your local jurisdiction. They act as a third party check system if you will.

One should never trust themselves while under the Influence of alcohol, But instead be wise and in control of intake.

The state of Florida has very specific laws that apply to alcohol and firearms, which I will spare you all of right now . I let them be the judge!
    Above all else... Prioritize.

Assistant Administrator
    I answered NO but - have to add a rider to that.

I carry from getting up to going to bed, but much of this is in my own home and office .......... and around 9pm most evenings I indulge in a shot or two (booze - not gun LOL). So technically I am carrying when having a drink!

I am however dry all of every day - not even a beer with a lunch when out - plus I am totally non drink/drive too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I recently re-discovered non-alcoholic beer. I've decided to like it, even though I don't. I just don't think gunpowder makes a good mixer.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Sometimes (not often), I will have ONE glass of wine with my dinner when out at a restaurant. I don't think that should preclude me from still having the ability to defend myself or my family. If I intended to become intoxicated (I haven't been intoxicated for about 25 years), I would chose to leave my weapon at home. If I couldn't trust myself to *not* become intoxicated then I wouldn't ever carry.

Thanks!
    Greg

Senior Moderator
    I voted, "Only if it's a single drink," because I have in the past.

Not long ago, my husband and I were out together and I had had a pretty BAD day and a very sleepless night. He said, "You should have a drink. Calm yourself down. Maybe it will help you sleep a little better tonight."
    I said, "But I'm carrying."
    He said, "I'll get it from you when traffic dies down around our table."

I had a couple sips, we talked and then did a few sneaky moves and he took possession of my gun.

Technically I drank while carrying, but gave up possession of my gun.

I agree. Alcohol and guns do not mix.

I've had a glass of wine at a friend's/neighbor's house while carrying and walked across the hall to my apartment and not thought anything of it. First, it was a single glass of wine and second, our front doors are a grand total of six feet away from each other in an enclosed apartment, but again, technically I was carrying after having drank.

Now, I WOULD NEVER drink alone and carry. Every time I've had even one DROP of alcohol while carrying I have been around responsible individuals who knew I was carrying and could take possession of my weapon at any time and I have ALWAYS handed over my weapon at the slightest possibility that what I'm drinking may even eventually give me a buzz.

If I'm drinking a long island iced-tea, my gun is getting handed over before I even take a sip. If I'm drinking a glass of wine I'll hang onto it, but my husband won't drink, just in case. Likewise, if he's going to have a single beer he might hang onto it, but if he's having a shot he'll hand his gone over to me and I will not drink.

Administrator
    Thats just it... the person who is drinking does not know the extent of their impairment until its to late. I wish I had a nickel for every drunk I pulled out of a car who told me they were fine, they only had one drink etc. when its painfully obvious they had more than one and they were not fine. In their mind, the honestly believed they were but to the sober mind judging them, they were far from fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    It is be far safer for me not to drink and CCW.

I don't drink and drive either.

I do drink I have 2 beers left from a 6 pack I bought at the start of March. I just don't drink much.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

They've structured the law in Michigan so that you're risking your license any time you drink any amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertramp View Post
    They've structured the law in Michigan so that you're risking your license any time you drink any amount.

Same in my county of California. Not ONE drop while carrying. Even prescription drugs that can impair you are listed.

If you are in a shoot one of the first things they are going to do is take a blood test. Heck even LEO's have to. One thing you don't want coming up is alcohol in your system. You just opened up a whole can of worms for yourself if you did drink.

Never liked the tast much. If I do drink it's very little and never when I carry. I like having the right to carry and I don't want to risk loosing it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links