how to counter this anti-gun argument?

This is a discussion on how to counter this anti-gun argument? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chris, So have you had a chance to use any of the many excellent arguments provided here on your sister? If so how did she ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: how to counter this anti-gun argument?

Chris,

So have you had a chance to use any of the many excellent arguments provided here on your sister? If so how did she respond. I think we need an update :)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    heres a nice little clip. every once in a while something that isnt stupidly liberal shows up on tv. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9RN_iSKtg
    awesome clip!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

As a result of the Virginia Tech shootings, I've been in a discussion with my very anti-gun sister. She wants all guns abolished in the US. I made the point that if all guns were removed from the US, then criminals would use axes. If axes were gone, then criminals would use knives. If knives were gone, they'd use bats, etc...

An argument she made against this goes something like this:

"An unarmed person is much more able to defend themselves against an ax than a gun. A gun can be used to kill multiple people from 50 feet away in a short amount of time. But an ax must be used up close and people have time to react and either stop the threat or run away. Yada, yada, yada..."

While I disagree with her, I'm not sure how to respond to this argument. Can could someone please help me out? Thanks.

Chris
    Take an ax, totally blunt the end of it, and invite her to a sparring session; a mock attack in which you will try to "harm" her with the now non-lethal ax and she will try to disable you or take it away from you.

See how quickly she rushes to do it.

Next, suggest that you try the same exact exercise, but this time suggest that you "attack" her with a WIFFLE BALL BAT.

When she again refuses, ask her why.

Ask her what could possibly be so difficult about stopping you from hitting her with a wiffle ball bat.

And then ask her again why she thinks people would fare so well if "all" a psychotic attacker had was an ax.

I'm sorry, but your sister doesn't sound too bright; the typical anti-gunner who has no clue what is real, and how the real world works.

Oh, and you might want to ask her what would prevent people from buying black market guns; from ambushing cops using fake 911 calls and killing them and stealing their guns; from manufacturing new guns after the ban/roundup.

Seriously, imagine that not one single gun existed in this country except for those belonging to cops.
    Here's what would happen:
    Criminals who want guns would place calls to 911, asking them to come because a home was broken into or some such. Some nothing crime, like a car window was broken. Then when one cop arrives, at a decoy location given (so as not to lead to the real residence of the caller), the criminal (and possibly his cohorts) bashes the cop on the head with a wrench, kills him, and takes his gun.

Then they do it again, but this time they can just shoot the cop. Then they have two guns, and can branch out.

The result will be that cops either will stop going to ANY calls, or every single call will be handled with a SWAT-like response, and "the People" will certainly not like that -- especially those who called for a gun ban in the first place. They'll all be trying to think of excuses to give when we accuse them and their idiotic gun ban of causing all this to happen.
    Last edited by peacefuljeffrey; April 30th, 2007 at 12:15 AM.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    IMO, there is no way to win a rational argument with someone like that. they'll always come up with some half baked or plain crazy rationale why guns should be outlawed, so why bother? just smile and nod your head...

Ding ding ding! Close the thread. BEST ANSWER EVER! No more need be said.

The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Apt quote, even for the wordsmiths seeking the destruction of upstanding people (those attacking the rights of others).

Not acknowledging the barbarians at the gate results in the gate being burned to the ground. So, I lobby, I write, I learn ... and I keep my left up. But evil-minded people bent on controlling others have won with less ammo than those bandying such arguments today. Here we are with a mere shadow of the Constitution, dangling by its threads. Enough is enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

my argument against gun control is always
    "do you think criminals are for or against gun control"

I would ask her if she and her cronies were to get guns outlawed how much luck they would expect to have with bad guys just turning them over? Technically most folks with a criminal past are already banned from gun ownership so why don't she and her buddies just enforce the laws already in place if all we need are laws to accomplish this "wonderland" train of thought.

Seems to me that if laws that "prevent" repeat offenders from gun ownership don't currently work then you don't really have to argue with her much more. Her theory of merely puting laws in place for protection has already failed miserably.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links