Smooth pocket pistol draw

This is a discussion on Smooth pocket pistol draw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My LCP started hanging up in the holster when I would draw it from my front pants pocket. I started finding out why it was ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Smooth pocket pistol draw

My LCP started hanging up in the holster when I would draw it from my front pants pocket. I started finding out why it was catching and took care of those problems. I searched the pc to find tips about smoothly drawing a pistol from a pocket holster and I found a couple of helpful ideas. Some people like to repeat the same advice over and over like always carry the gun in a holster to keep it upright in your pocket. If I read the same tips about pocket carrying in one article I read the same ones in ten more. Another thing that was very repetitive is a saying about -slow is smooth-smooth is fast. There might be some truth to that but they don't usually give you any tips on how to draw smoothly or to even check to see why you can't draw the gun smoothly from the holster. So that gets worn out pretty quickly. I used some ribbon epoxy to cover the adjustment screws on the laser sight that were dragging on the inside of the holster and I made a ramp on the back side of the front sight to keep that from dragging too. I even chamfered the top corners of the ejection port slightly and now the gun comes out smoothly and quietly. Make sure that the assembly pins don't start working out after range practice that will make a gun hang up very quickly. From what I have found out smooth is a lot faster.
    Haywood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    My LCP started hanging up in the holster when I would draw it from my front pants pocket. I started finding out why it was catching and took care of those problems. I searched the pc to find tips about smoothly drawing a pistol from a pocket holster and I found a couple of helpful ideas. Some people like to repeat the same advice over and over like always carry the gun in a holster to keep it upright in your pocket. If I read the same tips about pocket carrying in one article I read the same ones in ten more. Another thing that was very repetitive is a saying about -slow is smooth-smooth is fast. There might be some truth to that but they don't usually give you any tips on how to draw smoothly or to even check to see why you can't draw the gun smoothly from the holster. So that gets worn out pretty quickly. I used some ribbon epoxy to cover the adjustment screws on the laser sight that were dragging on the inside of the holster and I made a ramp on the back side of the front sight to keep that from dragging too. I even chamfered the top corners of the ejection port slightly and now the gun comes out smoothly and quietly. Make sure that the assembly pins don't start working out after range practice that will make a gun hang up very quickly. From what I have found out smooth is a lot faster.
    Not sure this will help but revolvers have been much easier for me to draw then micro 380's

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

^^^
    Agreed, I much prefer a J Frame for pocket carry.

VIP Member
    The hand-on-gun pocket draw is the fastest one in my repertoire. In order to pull it off, it requires a pocket holster with very little actual retention. Mine is molded kydex with all the friction points loosened. It also has a firm leather band attached to act as an anchor when the gun is drawn, keeping the holster in the pocket and allowing the gun to easily separate. Large, loose front pockets are also critical.
    GpTom and farsidefan1 like this.
    "To reject the notion of expertise, and to replace it with a sanctimonious insistence that every person has a right to his or her own opinion, is silly."

Tom Nichols

Sponsor
    The hand-on-gun pocket draw is the fastest one in my repertoire.

Student/fellow instructor in Fla timed at .23 seconds to first shot from hand on gun in front pocket using 1/2 hip at 6 feet.
    Mike1956, molleur and Gabill like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Rock_Castle's Avatar
    I traded my LCP for a 442, and I like pocket carrying the J Frame much better. Carry it in a $10 Walmart Blackhawk #3 pocket holster. It just works.
    AzQkr and GpTom like this.

I saw a video of the older fellow doing a pocket carry draw, on someone he was arguing with. It was pretty funny, because the holster came out with the gun, it took a little bit for him to realize it, then he pulled it off the gun. I think a little practice would have prevented that from happening.
    GpTom likes this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The hand-on-gun pocket draw is the fastest one in my repertoire.

Student/fellow instructor in Fla timed at .23 seconds to first shot from hand on gun in front pocket using 1/2 hip at 6 feet.
    Fast, fast, fast.
    "To reject the notion of expertise, and to replace it with a sanctimonious insistence that every person has a right to his or her own opinion, is silly."

Tom Nichols

Sponsor
    He ran it several times, he thought the timer was messed up. Took about everyone there by surprise, him most of all. He did it wth his Kahr pm9
    Mike1956 and Gabill like this.

I like Ruger revolvers in general, yet I've noticed in my reading that (on the subject of pocket-carry), I seldom hear of anyone going FROM a 442/642 TO an LCR. Yet I regularly hear/read of pocket-carriers going...the OTHER way. Me? I'm a 642 fan!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    He ran it several times, he thought the timer was messed up. Took about everyone there by surprise, him most of all. He did it wth his Kahr pm9
    No doubt. .23 is right out there on the far edge of possible, given even the fastest human reaction time.
    AzQkr and Gabill like this.

Tom Nichols

I think a video is necessary with this one.

Sponsor
    Witnessed by no less than 5 people there. Multiple tries, all within that mid .2 time. He was about 53 when he was timed, mod another another site and long time student of mine who now offers the core f/s skills in Fla.

YES, you can get better with age. Some of the fastest shooters were and are in their 40-50's when they were/are timed even going back to the 30's with McGivern

I draw the holster and the gun at the same time. I then take off the holster and throw it as I put the second hand on the gun. I tried to leave the holster in the pocket but could just not get it consistent. I have done the draw and throw a number of times with others there and they always follow the holster to where it hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I draw the holster and the gun at the same time. I then take off the holster and throw it as I put the second hand on the gun. I tried to leave the holster in the pocket but could just not get it consistent. I have done the draw and throw a number of times with others there and they always follow the holster to where it hits the ground.
    I would look into a different holster. Check out the Mika. If I am pocket carrying I want to be able to draw and shoot one handed. I figure most draws will be at contact distance where I will be fending or blocking with one hand and drawing with the other.
    forester58 and arizona like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links