Discrete LEOs?

Discrete LEOs?

This is a discussion on Discrete LEOs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After all the traffic stop threads, the only question unanswered seems to be about officer tact in the presence of a passenger. If pulled over, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discrete LEOs?

Discrete LEOs?

After all the traffic stop threads, the only question unanswered seems to be about officer tact in the presence of a passenger. If pulled over, and I hand my permit and info over on first contact, is there an unspoken understanding (no duty to inform here)? It should seem that in this instance I am clearly saying "I'm packing, and only you and I need to know". I just imagine an officer dropping the question and possibly ruining a nice date or being outed in front of an acquaintance or whoever might wind up riding shotgun in my car. I understand that officer safety is paramount, but of all people, an officer should appreciate the tactical advantage of concealed carry, as most do not see any reason to advertise being armed (open carry), and if the officer wants to chat about it in front of a random passenger it is as good as making you OC for the rest of that ride. Any experiences with this? Good, bad? I cant help but imagine something unnecessary occuring if the circumstance arises.

If there is no duty to inform why would you want to complicate the stop by informing?

I'm talking about a "typical" traffic stop where you give your license, registration and proof of insurance and are not asked to "Step out of the vehicle".

I personally do not inform unless I have to for some reason. I figure the movement of me stepping out of my vehicle may reveal that I have a firearm on me and I will inform in those cases.

Biker

Good question titleist, I've been pondering this myself- living in a must inform state and all.

I would say don't count on the LEO being discrete. They will most likely assume that anyone in the car with you already knows you are carrying. They might even be inclined to ask your date if SHE is carrying! I think that if you get pulled over in a "must inform" state the odds are very high that your date is going to find out that you're carrying.

Assistant Administrator
    One could hope for discretion but IMO it would have to be extreme on the LEO's part to avoid ''spilling the beans''.

Even the most polite and sensitive cop might find it hard to keep such a thing strictly between the two of you. My take anyways.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

On a traffic stop if somebody did what you described , I would ask the driver if they are carrying now and if so where is the gun. This would be for my safety until I did a check on you and you came back clear and not a wanted person. If for some reason you did come back wanted I would at least have the knowledge that you are armed and where your weapon is. (plus I think it makes sense tactically instead of me wondering) If you didn't come back as americas most wanted I would finish my business and tell you to drive safe.I tend to error on the side of caution.
    If you do not live in a must notify state Don't tell them and the problem is solved!

Administrator
    Again, I think you guys are over thinking things.

If someone is going to spill the beans, its going to happen inside the offending vehicle, not the officer standing outside. As a passenger, its very hard to hear what someone outside is saying to the driver. If you (the driver) are keeping a low tone and profile, the officer will follow that tone for the stop. Its human nature.
    If you have nosy passengers, thats your fault/problem not the officers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was stopped by a Texas State Trooper last week for speeding. (Caught me passing a car that I had followed below the speed limit for 15 miles).

Anyway, he came up to the passenger window and I handed him drivers license, CHL and proof of insurance.

The first thing he asked is if the wepon was in my reach. I pointed to the console under my right arm.

He did not pay any attention to my passenger. He asked me to step out of the truck and led me to a place on the side of the road and asked me to keep my hands out of my pockets. He wrote up the citation and the final thing he asked was what type of gun I had in the truck. I told him it was a Taurus model 85 CH. He smiled and nodded his head and said "fine weapon".

There is some good information here. I would go along with not telling the officer anything beyond that legally required. You are protected in this under the constitution. The fourth amendment can only be changed by a constitutional convention or ammendment to the constitution.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

One problem is the LEO's do not always know the laws. I am required to notify when pulled over in UT if carrying. I was not carrying. He came back after seeing my permit on the computer just yelling at me. He yelled "Where is it??" I said "Sir?" He said "Your weapon". I said "Sir, I do not have one in the car". He said, "Have you forgotten what you learned in class about notifying me, I could have been shot.....(on and on). I said "Sir, it was my understanding that I notify you if carrying but I was not carrying". More yelling on his part and after a lot of "Sirs", and apologizing for not notifying him he let me go. I still beg to differ with him on the law.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Wow with all these bad cops out there harassing legally carring citizens I wonder how we'll ever survive. I still dont see the harm in thinking about someone other than yourself when your stopped. But oh well, guess I'll never understand it. Old poem I read once said that most folks dont like or want an officer around till the they need one or have a ticket they want fixed. To bad. Guess me wanting to make know where the guns are when I talk to a stranger that I have made contact with because they did something that was against a law (either traffic or criminal) makes me a bad cop.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Steve I'm nearly 60 in age and I have respected LEOs all my life. My parents had something to do with that. About the wors't thing a LEO is going to catch me doing is some type of traffic violation. I'm a factory rep and travel all over the state of Texas and I get stopped about once every three or four years. The last LEO that stopped me was a baby faced State Trooper, didn't even look like he needed to shave. I gave him the same respect. He was just doing his job, slowing drivers down on a wet highway.

I do not think police are bad for one minute. My cousin was #2 sheriff in a large city. My ccw instructor was a railroad cop. I respect them all, they do not get paid enough and I am thankful every day for what they do and put up with for us. That being said, if one individual policeman yells at me, I would prefer he not insult my intelligence by yelling at me until I agree that 'yes, the law says I have to tell him I am not carrying' when it does not. As far as him worrying about his safety when I did not state I did not have a legal firearm in the car, I have news for him. The BG will not tell him if he has an illegal firearm in his car. Just one individual. Thank you so much for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by longtrain58 View Post
    Steve I'm nearly 60 in age and I have respected LEOs all my life. My parents had something to do with that. About the wors't thing a LEO is going to catch me doing is some type of traffic violation. I'm a factory rep and travel all over the state of Texas and I get stopped about once every three or four years. The last LEO that stopped me was a baby faced State Trooper, didn't even look like he needed to shave. I gave him the same respect. He was just doing his job, slowing drivers down on a wet highway.
    +1

fed wif a sig,
    Of all the places to defend the duties and decisions of police, here you are speaking to the choir. My father works for Houston PD, and most others here know or are LE themselves. No where here were the reponsibilities or any aspect of a good cops motives attacted. Your banner or icon or whatever bloggers call their picture says all cops are equal. I was arrested in Denton, TX, where you hail from, by a punk with a badge on false premise with false charges, and do not believe (and most can sympathize) that all cops are equal. This event has not detered my respect for the badge or the men who wear one. I hope your insight of everyones contempt for LE is not an accurate census of all LEOs views, and that the "us vs. them" mentality is an isolated phenomenon. Some posts have helped, and since there is no need to inform, I will keep quiet if I have company. I spoke with a state trooper who confirmed it would be in good taste to inform, and I would like to go at least half way by showing a permit if I dont find it appropriate to verbalize, but seems this isnt a reasonable compromise and the men in blue will have to be excluded from assurance unless a direct question changes the situation. Thanks for the replies fellas, may have saved me from an undesireable explanation to a passenger.
    -titleist the naive
    Last edited by titleist; April 18th, 2007 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links