Next up on Fox News (Fox and Friends)

This is a discussion on Next up on Fox News (Fox and Friends) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I worked with Suzanna on her first run for the Texas Legislature. She is a fabulous person!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next up on Fox News (Fox and Friends)

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I worked with Suzanna on her first run for the Texas Legislature. She is a fabulous person!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    More power to the girl - her tragic story carries more weight than about anything else, in its own way.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    If you have trouble viewing off the link then try going through the foxnews website. That worked for me.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    She is just amazing and very convincing.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    This is copyrighted but I believe as long as I tell you where it is from and since it is just 3 1/2 pages from a 440 page book it is ok to post it. If I am wrong moderator please forgive me!

The following are the opening three and half pages of chapter 2 from the 440 page book written by Chris Bird, “The Concealed Handgun Manual

Chapter Two

WHY CARRY A GUN?
    THE POLICE CAN'T PROTECT YOU

It was a sunny fall day in central Texas when Dr. Suzanna Gratia walked into the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas, with her mother and father. As they entered the restaurant, Gratia had no inkling that she would be the only one of them to leave there alive.

October 16, 1991, was Bosses' Day, and the cafeteria was packed with employees taking their employers to lunch. Gratia, then 32, was a chiropractor in nearby Copperas Cove. "She and her parents were waiting for her friend, the restaurant manager, to return to their table. They had just finished eating, and were dawdling over coffee.

The pleasant atmosphere was shattered when a pickup truck burst through the window into the restaurant, smashing into customers and showering them with broken glass.

At first, Gratia thought it was an accident. She started to go over to help the people knocked down by the pickup.

Then she heard a flurry of gunshots.

Immediately, Gratia and her father tipped over their table and, with her mother, took cover behind it. Gratia decided it must be a robbery, but the shooting continued. Then she thought maybe it was a hit. Perhaps someone important was in the restaurant because it was Bosses' Day. But the driver of the pickup was walking unhurriedly from one person to another shooting them.

“It took a good forty-five seconds, which is a long time, to figure out that the guy was just going to walk around and shoot people;" Gratia said. "You kept waiting for him to stop and give some sort of explanation, but he didn't."

By this time, the gunman, later identified as George Hennard, was standing at the right-front fender of his truck, about fifteen feet from Gratia, still shooting people.

"I thought, I got this turkey. I reached for my purse. I had a perfect place to prop my arm; everybody in the restaurant was down; he was up. Then I realized that a few months earlier 1 had made the stupidest decision of my life. My gun was one hundred yards away, in my car, completely useless to me. I had made the decision to begin leaving it in my car because I was concerned about losing my license to practice chiropractic.

"In 1991, Texas had no concealed-handgun carry law. Only law-enforcement officers could carry concealed handguns legally in the state.

Gratia was appalled. She groped for something to do to stop the carnage. She thought about throwing her purse at the gunman. She eyed the sugar container and the butter knife, but Hennard had two semi-automatic handguns and was in complete control of the situation. Any attack would be suicide.

Meanwhile, Gratia's father, Al Gratia, was getting increasingly frustrated.

"I've got to do something. I've got to do something. He's going to kill everybody in here," Gratia remembers her father saying, as he started to rise to his feet.

Suzanna grabbed him by the shirt collar and jerked him down, cursing at him and saying: "If you go at him, he's going to kill you, too." But he shook her off and, when he thought he had a chance tried to rush Hennard.

"I remember ducking down because I already knew what was going to happen. He didn't have a chance. The guy could see him coming half a mile away.
    Dad probably covered half the space, when the guy turned and shot him in the chest. My dad went down in the aisle. He was still alive and still semi-conscious, but he was maybe eight feet from me. 1 saw the wound and as horrible as it sounds, I basically wrote him off at that point.

After shooting Gratia's father, Hennard changed direction away from her and her mother. For the first time she looked at the gunman's face.

"You think the stupidest things. I remember looking at this guy, thinking, this is a good-looking guy with a
    new truck~ what could possibly be so wrong in this guy's life that he s doing this.

Hennard reached the wall and fortunately turned away from Gratia. She and her mother were in the front part of the restaurant and were trapped until somebody broke a window near the back. Her first thought on hearing the crash of the breaking glass was that Hennard was not alone. Perhaps it was a terrorist attack. But she saw people escaping through the broken window and knew it was their only chance to get out. Gratia kept peeking around the table, where she and her mother were crouched, until she saw an opportunity. She stood up with her back to Hennard who was still shooting people, expecting at any moment to be shot.

"I remember standing with my back to the guy, and I kept hearing the gunshots. I kept waiting to feel the impact. I remember feeling that so vividly."

Gratia grabbed her mother by the shirt, pulling her to her feet. "Come on, come on, we've got to run; we've got to get out of here;' she urged.

Her feet grew wings and she ran, not stopping until she was through the window and outside in the sunshine. The restaurant manager, Mark Kopenhafer, met her outside and asked if she was all right." I said, 'Yeah, but Dad's been shot.' And I turned around to say something about Mom or something to Mom, and she wasn't there.'

Her mother had not followed her out of the restaurant.

Gratia learned afterwards from the police what had happened. When they arrived on the scene, the officers knew a man was inside the restaurant shooting people. Earlier, while Hennard had been systematically executing people, everybody was hugging the floor, and it was quiet except for the sound of the gunshots. But when the police arrived, people were scrambling to get out, and pandemonium reigned. The officers could not see who was doing the shooting. "My mother, according to them, had crawled out into the open where my father was and was cradling him until the gunman got back around to her."

According to the one cop, he didn't realize who the man was at that point, and he saw the guy look down at my Mom. He said, she looked up at him, put her head down, and then he put the gun to her head and pulled the trigger.

"My parents had had their forty-seventh wedding anniversary a week and a half before, and she just wasn't going anywhere."

Hennard killed twenty-three people and wounded another thirty-three before he put one of his pistols to his own head and pulled the trigger.

Since that day, Suzanna Gratia, now Suzanna Gratia-Hupp since her marriage, has testified before Congress and numerous state legislatures, urging law-makers to allow law-abiding citizens to carry guns for self defense. She is acknowledged to be one of the most compelling witnesses in the gun-control debate. Hupp has been elected to the Texas Legislature and as a politician is a champion of gun rights.

"I'm not a crack shot, but I can definitely hit what I'm pointing at," she says.

When legislators ask her what would have happened if she had shot at Hennard and missed, she answers: "It's possible, but if nothing else, it sure would have changed the odds, wouldn't it? Because, as it was, I can't begin to get across to you or anybody else what it's like to sit there and wait for it to be your turn. I get very angry right now even thinking about that. Can you imagine not being able to fight back?

Hupp's testimonies in February 1995 before the Texas Senate committee looking at a proposed concealed handgun carry law undoubtedly helped sway lawmakers to the reality that the police and the justice system cannot protect people. Although the justice system is supposed to deter crime, it hasn't been doing a very good job. While patrolling police officers do deter some it is difficult to determine how much. Most often they take reports of crimes after they happen and then try to catch the perpetrators.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links