How many at Tech would carry?

This is a discussion on How many at Tech would carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just heard Colbert I. King on WTOP radio with his commentary trashing the idea of arming students. He said something to the effect of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just heard Colbert I. King on WTOP radio with his commentary trashing the idea of arming students.

He said something to the effect of "imagine 20,000 students getting up in the morning and arming themselves with their pistol or rifle and then heading out to class. Just think about that image for a moment."

Well, I thought about it and even though I found it comforting it is extremely far fetched.

The population of Virginia as of 2005 according to the US Census Bureau was 7,567,465. For my purposes, I will use that as the current population.

The current number of concealed carry permits in Virginia is less than 140,000 (closer to 135,000 actually).

This comes out to 1.85% of the general population.

Virginia Tech has approximately 29,000 students. 1.85% of this is 537.

So if Tech would get rid of its stupid rule against guns, you would probably see only a very small percentage of the students who would actually carry.

Sad how the anti's have to bring up extremely exagerated gloom and doom examples to try to futher their cause.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

He said something to the effect of "imagine 20,000 students getting up in the morning and arming themselves with their pistol or rifle and then heading out to class. Just think about that image for a moment."
    Ok, I just pictured it, now what?
    It reminded me of living in Israel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    The population of Virginia as of 2005 according to the US Census Bureau was 7,567,465. For my purposes, I will use that as the current population.

The current number of concealed carry permits in Virginia is less than 140,000 (closer to 135,000 actually).

This comes out to 1.85% of the general population.

Virginia Tech has approximately 29,000 students. 1.85% of this is 537.

So if Tech would get rid of its stupid rule against guns, you would probably see only a very small percentage of the students who would actually carry.

Sad how the anti's have to bring up extremely exagerated gloom and doom examples to try to futher their cause.
    Also, consider that a large percentage of the students aren't yet 21, and wouldn't be legally able to carry, and you're cutting the numbers much further. I think the common thread to all of these reactions is this: antis are stupid, malicious, or both.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Dad tried to pull the same crap on me yesterday. I said if something like VT happened on a campus where everybody was armed, it wouldn't have lasted, and he agreed that there would be less loss of life.

The then tried to illustrate a social issue, or a classroom with a student unhappy about their grade, loosing it and starting to shoot. I told him the student/person obviously doesn't care about the laws or the well being of himself or others, and would have done that whether or not everybody else around him was armed. On one hand, everybody else is unarmed and runs a very high chance of being seriously wounded or killed, and on the ther hand there is one loss of life, and hopefully little to no collateral damage to others from stray bullets.

I for one, would LOVE to see armed police around campus that aren't over weight and incampable of securing a campus. For that to happen though, they'll have to hire more than 6.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    The then tried to illustrate a social issue, or a classroom with a student unhappy about their grade, loosing it and starting to shoot.
    That's the typical anti argument brought up every time a state enacts a concealed carry law.

They talk about blood in the streets and how people will kill others at traffic accidents, etc.

Then. . . . . nothing happens. The anti's slink away and hope the media doesn't mention this fact.

.02 - it's sad that you don't hear more about gun ownership in Israel from our biased media.

OPFOR - the stupid ones or the stupid and malicious ones don't worry me nearly as much as the smart and malicious ones.

Sarah Brady, Diane Feinstein, Chuck Shummer, etc. - they are malicious and elitist. As long as they are safe, who cares about the peons.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    As far as the 18 year old law I think that should be changed.

Then again you have to understand that I think 18 year olds should be able to drink as well.

I pretty much think if a person is old enough to die for their country in the military, if they are old enough to vote, if they are old enough to get married then they are an adult and should be allowed, no make that forced to be an adult in every way.

I think the law needs to be changed and 18 year olds should have the same rights as a 25 year old.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

The police sure did not prevent this nor did Mental Health. Protection from the goverment is only reserved for the elite and the any state Governor or President/Vice president. The rest of us have to defend ourselves. VT students were like shooting fish in a barrel. Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Dad tried to pull the same crap on me yesterday. I said if something like VT happened on a campus where everybody was armed, it wouldn't have lasted, and he agreed that there would be less loss of life.

The then tried to illustrate a social issue, or a classroom with a student unhappy about their grade, loosing it and starting to shoot. I told him the student/person obviously doesn't care about the laws or the well being of himself or others, and would have done that whether or not everybody else around him was armed. On one hand, everybody else is unarmed and runs a very high chance of being seriously wounded or killed, and on the ther hand there is one loss of life, and hopefully little to no collateral damage to others from stray bullets.

I for one, would LOVE to see armed police around campus that aren't over weight and incampable of securing a campus. For that to happen though, they'll have to hire more than 6.

Uh....does he realize that if idiot student unhappy with his grade realize that he probably wouldn't be able to get a shot off because of the other armed students in the classroom?...this is a lame arguement

Do all students unhappy with their grade get into fights with instructors to cause bodily harm?...Doesn't fly with me.

I doubt if more than a half dozen or so out of the 20K students would actually carry. Possibly some ROTC students but most are too PC to do so.

I doubt if more than a half dozen or so out of the 20K students would actually carry. Possibly some ROTC students but most are too PC to do so.
    I'd say more than a 1/2 dozen. It would probably be about the same as the rest of the general population. A lot of guys in ROTC have permits here, mostly the type that are on Ranger Force or in Marine NROTC. I also know of a fair number of other students who carry, several because I have helped them with the process. There are also college students who think "Why should I get my CHL, if I can't ever carry anyway since I'm always at school." Who would probably get their CHL if they could carry at school.

Also there is a large number of veterans of the current war who are coming to college now, and I know a good number of them who carry.

Probably 1-2% of the population would carry, about the same as anywhere else.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Just to put this in perspective... Let's just say, hypothetically, that a recently discharged former Ranger was going back to college. He is licensed in his state to carry concealed. His school is a "victim disarmament zone" by policy, not by law. He chooses to carry anyway (more so during the last half of his senior year, which happened to be immediately following 9/11).

Let's say this guy - we'll call him OPFOR for the sake of the story - was in Norris Hall that morning. Do you think things might possible have turned out differently?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Just to put this in perspective... Let's just say, hypothetically, that a recently discharged former Ranger was going back to college. He is licensed in his state to carry concealed. His school is a "victim disarmament zone" by policy, not by law. He chooses to carry anyway (more so during the last half of his senior year, which happened to be immediately following 9/11).

Let's say this guy - we'll call him OPFOR for the sake of the story - was in Norris Hall that morning. Do you think things might possible have turned out differently?

Certainly would have taken all the enjoyment out of entering the classroom OPFOR was in............not hiding under the desk.

Suprize!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My opinion is that it wouldnt have mattered if only one chose to carry as long as the shooter knew that one person . A bully is a coward at heart , and only picks on the defenseless. Had this waste of space known he might be effectively resisted no shooting would have happened , after all he chose not to assault the local or university police dept didnt he ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

I think it would have turned out differently

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

I think it would have turned out differently even if this OPFOR person had not had his weapon. I think the ex ranger OPFOR person would have saved the day or died trying.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

me
    I agree with the thought that the carry would be about the same as the population. Which in this case is about 270 students, taking away the freshman and sophomore classes due to normative age. I also believe 18 (as long as they are out of High school) should be able to carry. I am on a small campus (1000 students) and have been talking to many other students lately about CCW. I can tell you that I have atleast one friend who is eligable to get his permit but has decided not to because he can not carry on campus. Additionally I have had 4+ other students I have talked to this week have said I plan to get my permit as soon as I am able (age wise).
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links