No CCW for Me!!

This is a discussion on No CCW for Me!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; congrats....see all that kung fu stuff only gets you in trouble....you will be better off with your CCW...just kidding....glad to hear things worked out for ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No CCW for Me!!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    congrats....see all that kung fu stuff only gets you in trouble....you will be better off with your CCW...just kidding....glad to hear things worked out for you, but I don't think I will be moving to Nebraska any time soon.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

If this fist fight happened twenty years ago I may not be on record. you should check it out to see if it is still on record . You might have lucked out. Don't give up till you are sure.

I'm not an expert of your state's laws, but I would think that stating "yes" to that particular question doesn't necessarily automatically disqualify you from a concealed handgun license. I know of people in Texas who have had multiple crimes on their record but were still allowed to have a CHL because the incidents happened so long ago.

Don't give up. The administration that administers your state's concealed handgun licenses should have a hotline you can call for questions (check out their website). I know Texas has one and I have found it useful.

Assistant Administrator
    Runner - delight and pleasure from me too - what a relief.

Excellent news
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Congratulations Runner. We will wait for your WallyWorld Nacho Run coming soon!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

In Ohio, they will open sealed records. Does the agency issuing the license have discrepancy?
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Administrator
    He would still have to answer the question truthfully on the app...no matter if his fist fight is still "on record" or not.

Geesh...a 20 year old fist fight. That's crazy.
    I'd be ready to get into another one over this. That absolutely stinks.
    I would fight it. Either that or I would legally Open Carry.
    It does not seem Constitutionally Kosher to be eternally punished for a fist fight where no weapons were involved and nobody was permanently injured or killed.
    Two decades is a long time and folks (in general) DO settle down a LOT in 20 years.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well hell... If a "pardon is a pardon no matter what the source"... I could have given you one of those! All you had to do was ask! All kidding aside... Congrats!
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 11th, 2007 at 03:31 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Mike, I'm glad it worked out so well for you!

Now, I encourage you to remain active with this issue--you may be able to facilitate change that will help others in your same situation who are not granted a pardon. Good luck with this cause.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Utah Non-Resident Folks can for a small fee let ya know if ya qualify for a permit before ya go through the whole process of applying for a permit.
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

Now wait just a minute here....

Did you ever actualy apply? Or did you just conclude that you would be denied?

Does it actualy say "Check yes to any of these, just don't bother to send it in? Because I would be suprised.

It probably says "check yes explain on a sheet and give all details. Because thats the way it was here in SC. I had to check yes to the question because ours said (in part) "ever been arrested...". And I had been many years ago. 33 years ago to be exact. Never was convicted of anything but had to check yes, and explain all that to keep from being "dishonest" on the application (which would be automatic denial). So I was honest and said yea I was and I was innocent and they finaly dropped the case. I told them when and where as best I could. Didn't go into too much detail. And that was that. Permit issued.

So review that whole thing. Make sure your not giving up before you let them deny you formaly. Then of course study up on the procedures for challenging a denial in the mean time.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by runner1717 View Post
    Just an update.......

I checked with the NSP legal branch and was told that a pardon is a pardon, no matter the source and that I now should be eligible for a permit!

Sweet!!!!

SWEET INDEED! Congratulations! It's great to see that an ordinary citizen can get satisfaction through the system instead of being forced into dead ends at every turn. That's reassuring.

Be safe.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Now wait just a minute here....

Did you ever actualy apply? Or did you just conclude that you would be denied?

Does it actualy say "Check yes to any of these, just don't bother to send it in? Because I would be suprised.

It probably says "check yes explain on a sheet and give all details. Because thats the way it was here in SC. I had to check yes to the question because ours said (in part) "ever been arrested...". And I had been many years ago. 33 years ago to be exact.

Did you proceed to tell them about the Alice's Restaurant Massacree with four-part harmony and ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by runner1717 View Post
    I'm from Nebraska and Nebraska started allowing CCW in January. Got scheduled up for the class and passed with flying colors!

I'm filling out the CCW application and low and behold I find out I don't qualify!

Prohibited from purchasing a gun (Title 18)? Nope
    A felon? Nope
    A fugitive? Nope
    Drug user? Nope
    Mental defective (last 10 years)? Nope
    Dishonorable discharge? Nope
    Renounced citizenship? Nope
    Domestic violent crimes? Nope
    Any gun crimes (last 10 years)? Nope
    On parole, probation? Nope
    Resident for at least 180 days? Yes
    Eyesight okay? Yes
    21 or older? Yes
    US citizen? Yes
    Completed training? Yes
    Any misdemeanor crimes of violence? er... ahh.. yes...... 20 years ago...

Oh, sorry........ a fistfight 20 years ago brands you a criminal for the rest of your life! Sorry!

But it was a misdemeanor crime that doesn't disqualify me from owning a gun, even Class III machine guns, but I can't be trusted?

Sorry you can't be trusted with a CONCEALED gun!! We'll trust you with your full auto HK MP5K, your AK-47 and your Browning 1919A4. Just don't put them under your coat! That would make you dangerous!

Really? A fistfight 20 years ago brands me as untrustworthy?

Yes, sorry...for the rest of your life!

But if I committed a gun crime over 10 years ago then it's okay for me to have a permit?

Why yes, of course!

If I was found mentally incompetent and was a danger to myself and others, but that was over 10 years ago, I can have a permit?

Well, of course you can!

Is there a way to "cleanup" my record here in Nebraska? After all, I've been a good citizen my whole life except for this one incident.

Nope, sorry, Nebraska doesn't have a means of expunging or sealing a record, so sorry, you won't be caring concealed in Nebraska.....EVER!!

If you want, you can "open" carry in Nebraska. Heck, you don't even have to follow the CCW restrictions as they ONLY apply to concealed carry.

Really? Wouldn't that frighten a lot of people and cause problems?

Well, it might frighten a lot of people but it perfectly legal and the only means that we, at the state of Nebraska will allow a criminal like
    you to have...................

I guess no CCW for me!!

Mike
    How did you get the class 3 then? They had to run a BG check on you then as well.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum....that news is shocking to say the least!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links