No CCW for Me!!

No CCW for Me!!

This is a discussion on No CCW for Me!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm from Nebraska and Nebraska started allowing CCW in January. Got scheduled up for the class and passed with flying colors! I'm filling out the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: No CCW for Me!!

No CCW for Me!!

I'm from Nebraska and Nebraska started allowing CCW in January. Got scheduled up for the class and passed with flying colors!

I'm filling out the CCW application and low and behold I find out I don't qualify!

Prohibited from purchasing a gun (Title 18)? Nope
    A felon? Nope
    A fugitive? Nope
    Drug user? Nope
    Mental defective (last 10 years)? Nope
    Dishonorable discharge? Nope
    Renounced citizenship? Nope
    Domestic violent crimes? Nope
    Any gun crimes (last 10 years)? Nope
    On parole, probation? Nope
    Resident for at least 180 days? Yes
    Eyesight okay? Yes
    21 or older? Yes
    US citizen? Yes
    Completed training? Yes
    Any misdemeanor crimes of violence? er... ahh.. yes...... 20 years ago...

Oh, sorry........ a fistfight 20 years ago brands you a criminal for the rest of your life! Sorry!

But it was a misdemeanor crime that doesn't disqualify me from owning a gun, even Class III machine guns, but I can't be trusted?

Sorry you can't be trusted with a CONCEALED gun!! We'll trust you with your full auto HK MP5K, your AK-47 and your Browning 1919A4. Just don't put them under your coat! That would make you dangerous!

Really? A fistfight 20 years ago brands me as untrustworthy?

Yes, sorry...for the rest of your life!

But if I committed a gun crime over 10 years ago then it's okay for me to have a permit?

Why yes, of course!

If I was found mentally incompetent and was a danger to myself and others, but that was over 10 years ago, I can have a permit?

Well, of course you can!

Is there a way to "cleanup" my record here in Nebraska? After all, I've been a good citizen my whole life except for this one incident.

Nope, sorry, Nebraska doesn't have a means of expunging or sealing a record, so sorry, you won't be caring concealed in Nebraska.....EVER!!

If you want, you can "open" carry in Nebraska. Heck, you don't even have to follow the CCW restrictions as they ONLY apply to concealed carry.

Really? Wouldn't that frighten a lot of people and cause problems?

Well, it might frighten a lot of people but it perfectly legal and the only means that we, at the state of Nebraska will allow a criminal like
    you to have...................

I guess no CCW for me!!

Mike

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I would be amazed if the record of this even exists any longer.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that . You are painted with the same broad brush that many who are accused of Domestic Violence are tho . You might consider moving out of state , and applying in a new state , getting your record expunged as needed in your new home state ( since different states have different standards for both ccw qualification and for expungment of records ) . I dont know if that would work for you , but it is a thought .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

WOW this is amazing to me. Im sorry man. I would open carry. or move to a new state.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Man, there is a classic example of B.S. legislation.

Kansas will also deny you a permit for the same reason and if you've ever been given diversion for a felony. Even if expunged, the Ks AG can open all records to determine who qualifies. Missouri is close. Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome.

But sorry to hear of this absurdity. It sure takes some believing.

Is the misdemenor something you felt you had to declare or is it in fact a matter of state record? I am partly assuming the latter as you refer to no process for dealing with it.

Seems to me there may have to be some correspondence initiated between you and the ''authorities'' - as high as you can go. It is too crazy to be able to accept lying down IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I think there is possibly a civil rights issue here ( equal protection under the law ) but finding an attny or orginisation to carry it foreward at minimal cost may be well impossible . We have here a citizen denied on the least of excuses , but untill suit can be brought the law will stand .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Did you talk to #1 a lawyer and #2 your state representative, and finally #3 your Governor and ask for a pardon!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I usually don't advocate open carry, but looks like
    you don't have a choice.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your state. Are you sure they even still have it on record?

I had an youthful indescretion (arrest) that might have made it very difficult to get my CCL. I went to the town where it happened before I even submitted my application and asked for a copy of my criminal record.

The nice lady came back and said "you don have no stinkin record".

Computers are great. Anything that happened before them never happened. No one is going to dig through some dusty archive to find a paper file.

I submitted my application the next day. If you're not sure, it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Runner1717,
    I'm sorry to read of your misfortune in this regard. It certainly is madness that a 20-year-old misdemeanor fistfight will bar you, but as long as someone's GUN CRIME was 10 or more years ago, he's okay to carry concealed weapons. That's insanity, and it needs to be taken to your representatives, local judges, etc. to get it rectified. Either they need to be willing to make an exception for you, or rewrite the law, but something must be done about this.

Good luck!

Have you checked your record? Are you sure that it will show up?

Lead Moderator
    contact authories and find out if you can do something about it , if it does show on your record.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

New Member Array viking_overlord's Avatar
    I believe Utah has an "out of state" CCW process that is honored in
    other states. Nebraska doesn't look like one of them. You may be
    able to "transfer" the CCW to nebraska ???

http://alphasafetytraining.com/ccw.html

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links