I SORT OF got made, but in the WIERDEST of ways. - Page 2

I SORT OF got made, but in the WIERDEST of ways.

This is a discussion on I SORT OF got made, but in the WIERDEST of ways. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got a new job, and somehow managed to get in with a group of very pro-gun people. One of them even organized a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I SORT OF got made, but in the WIERDEST of ways.

I recently got a new job, and somehow managed to get in with a group of very pro-gun people. One of them even organized a shooting event for the team shortly before I started where they brought several full-auto rifles and a .50-cal sniper rifle.

This place is way better than my last workplace!

You Bet...

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Nice to find more gun owners. Gotta watch those .22 casings. they get everywhere.
    In London, one of those on the street will close down the block and call out the SWISH Team...that's a SWAT team w/o guns!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

SWISH,,, Nawww that's been changed already.

They are called Swiffers now.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Good thing you didn't have a flight to catch.

I seem to remember someone saying that they took their range bag as a carry on while traveling. It sent the poor security personal into a panic when they "sniffed" it.

Maybe I heard it here.

I personally would welcome more shooting buddies. Ok, any shooting buddies. I don't have any.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    There was a post not long about a guy used his range bag as a carry on and there was a live round under the lining and it caused him lots of trouble.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I seem to recall someone finding a .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ in their belongings... AFTER arriving at their destination. GG TSA screeners.

sounds like you work in the safest building in town!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Sympathies for that poor hallux! My dear daughter had surgery on an ingrowing nail and suffered a lot with that - more pain than most folks can imagine.

Sounds like you were not so much made as just 'discovered' as a shooter. It's good to have other shootin' folks around.
    I had an Army Doc work on an ingrown toenail without benefit of local anesthetic, it was a bit of a "quick n' dirty surgical deal". And, yes, I yelled after holding it back for an eternity. It worked out well, I even got through it without infection. I never knew a toe could be so crucial to one's life until that time!

Back on track, while I'm retired and can't relate to a workplace, I'm often surprised at how readily some folks resonate to talk about shooting. It's quite easy to pick up their carry status by some statements they make. So, while they are discreet, they also are suggestive to someone they trust. I find it refreshing, and when I go to my Toastmaster club meeting I look around and know at least two others in the room that are armed, and they know I'm carrying. They are people I respect, and exercise sound judgement, so it's good to know they are there!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

DC Founder
    For some reason a seemingly larger than "normal" percentage of IT people carry. I am an IT manager and out of 20 staff members, there's five of us that have our permits and carry pretty much all the time. One other, that I know of, open carries (AZ is an open carry state) occasionally. Outside of IT I only know of three other people out of 235, in our agency, that carries. If you mention going to the range around our place you better be ready for a crowd....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post

I personally would welcome more shooting buddies. Ok, any shooting buddies. I don't have any.
    Yeah same boat your in.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    For some reason a seemingly larger than "normal" percentage of IT people carry. I am an IT manager and out of 20 staff members, there's five of us that have our permits and carry pretty much all the time. One other, that I know of, open carries (AZ is an open carry state) occasionally. Outside of IT I only know of three other people out of 235, in our agency, that carries. If you mention going to the range around our place you better be ready for a crowd....
    It's funny you mention that. I work in IT. All the men either have guns or their License to Carry. It makes for a fun place to work when we all show off our babies on our PC wallpaper. Sadly none of us are allowed to even have guns on the property.

limatunes, I got made once too. I went to the range and when I started my car to go home my little Ford sounded like a Harley Davidson. I drove strait to the muffler shop about 1/4 mile from my home. The gent drove my car into the bay and after he took my info on the car he asked me, "So where do you shoot?"

"Mansfield Fish and Game. How do you know I shoot?"

It seems I left the targets on the passenger seat.

It all worked out for the best though. He is the brother of a VERY competent Gunsmith and Dealer in my local area. In fact his brother is the one who put the new barrel on my rifle.

Shooters are everwhere. That's a good thing.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Senior Moderator
    For the heck of it... my targets from Tuesday.. wounded toe and all... I write notes to myself on my targets so that's what you'll see in sharpie.. I tend to shoot very fast once I get started. The first shot I'll take my time on but then I'll go through the rest of the mag in under a few seconds and be left thinking, "SLOW DOWN.. GEESH!!"

This is all .45....

.45 and .380... It was very weird going to such a little gun from the full size .45, but a nice break.

.45 again...

These were shot with one hand... It's the first time in my entire life I ever shot with just one hand so it was awkward. In honesty I really didn't know what I was doing, or how to stand or anything. I just put my left hand by my side, picked up my gun with my right and started shooting. I'll start there I guess....

More .45 and .380...

After I was done shooting I went into the store part of the range and was looking at guns. I put my targets on the counter while I was looking at some S&Ws and an older gentleman started looking at my targets and started asking me a few questions.

Come to find out he's a national pistol shooting champion. He gave me so many tips and answered all of my questions. He gave me some suggestions in correcting my shooting a bit high.

We must have talked for almost thirty minutes and he said I'm more than ready to start taking my targets out to further distances but he said he really appreciated my approach to shooting in that I'm actively seeking improvement and learning how to correct errors. He said for defensive shooting I'm ahead of a lot of people and that if I would take my time and keep practicing and learning he could see me going on to competition if I so desired.

He works at the range as an instructor and so I hope to run into him again and again and again. Maybe with some more guidance I'll get even better.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Lima, some very nice shooting there! Keep up the good work. BTW, a big thank you for some of your insightful posts here on CC wrt women carrying. I forwarded some of that info to a female friend who's currently considering CCW (she has her permit but is hesitant about carrying).

Pete, names, we need names!!

I went in to see the Service Manager at Clair Acura and noticed a .50BMG round on his desk. Find out he's a Special PO in Mansfield and shoots (with PD only I guess) at MF&G. VERY small world out there.

When I worked for the late DEC, I was one of the founding members of the Firearms Notesfiles (equivalent in 198x to this forum today) and since all usernames were your lastname (company policy) nobody could "hide" who they were. Later learned (after the 1998 debacle) that probably half my former Product Safety group (I was laid off in early 1993) owned guns, although nobody else carried.
    NRA Instructor

Bumber, I've seen the same thing. I'm a senior admin for a large hosting company and most of us geeks here either own, carry or are interested in guns. I'd like to think that the higher ratio of gun people in IT is do to the need for logic to to be good at IT and development types of tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Oh gee... I just had the third person from IT come by and say, "Just WHAT was stuck in your shoe?"

Sigh... Why is this such a huge thing?

From now on I'm checking my treads...

Although I have been known to open my purse a time or two and find a few casings in there. It's the price of regularly shooting.

Make stuff up each time. Or purposely stick stuff in there. Find a Where's Waldo picture and stick it on, then prop you feet up.
    -Biker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links