Ok help me out here folks

This is a discussion on Ok help me out here folks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods if you decide this is better placed please PM with the new location. Ok so I am finishing up my second year of study ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok help me out here folks

me [OP]

Ok help me out here folks

Mods if you decide this is better placed please PM with the new location.

Ok so I am finishing up my second year of study in biblical greek and our project we are decideing on now is what scriptures to tear apart to pull all of the meaning from the greek text. As many here are Christians I was wondering which biblical texts (NT due to greek) have been a challenge with CCW I would like to tear apart a passage that I can gleen insite from the passage I choose to do my paper on. Please help me decide. The requirements is that it be about 5 verses and we are recommended to take an epistolary passage.

Thanks
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

There is a good article in the recent Concealed Carry Magazine about a similar subject.
    Good Luck!

What about the passage where the soldiers come to arrest Jesus in the garden, and Peter chops off some guy's ear. At that point Jesus says something like 'those who live by the sword, die by the sword'. I discuss it here: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...t=8571&page=11

Senior Moderator
    A good portion of the passage in Luke is interesting. Jesus actually commands his disciples to sell a garment if necessary to buy a sword. Many try to explain this in all kinds of ways, but following verses support that it was a weapon. It may not have been a long, Roman 'assault' sword but, it was a deadly weapon.

The reply to this command, was 'here are two swords' and I don't believe for a moment that they quickly surveyed everyone and they passed their swords up to somebody to show them to Jesus. I believe one person had two swords himself and was emphasizing to Jesus that he was in compliance already. This strongly infers that the disciples routinely carried their swords in Jesus's presence and not once did he condemn them or critisize them for it; in fact He didn't say anything about it, except if you don't have one, sell a garment and get one.

The account of the 'ear removal' is significant. I don't believe for a second that Peter was trying to cut off an ear. The Scriptures say that the right ear was cut off, which would support a right-handed person cross-drawing a sword and slashing from left to right as he drew the sword. He wasn't aiming for the ear, but for the neck. The servant must have seen it coming and instinctively tilted his head to avoid the strike and got everything but his ear out of harm's way.

At first that sounds a little far fetched, but the alternative is that Peter drew his sword and made a precise slash to the side of the servant's head, precisely severing the ear and arresting the swing of the sword before it could strike the base of the neck.

Then in another account, I'd have to look up, when Jesus's disciples saw the 'mob' armed with staves and swords coming toward them, one disciple asked if they should slay them with the sword. This indicates that the disciples were as well armed as the mob. It also indicates that they were willing to defend themselves with their swords.

It makes one wonder, as a Christian, have we followed Jesus commandment and sold a garment to buy a sword?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

me [OP]
    Ok So I have gotten run the verses in Luke 22, both 36-38 (get a sword) and 49-53 (The ear). Now I just need to decide which I want.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Looking for a challenge to CCW? Try the quote from Jesus about "Resist not evil with evil. Resist evil with good." (Matthew 5)

That quote (if I'm remembering my literature correctly) is the premise behind Tolstoy's 'The Kingdom of God Is Within You' and that book inspired Gandhi early on in his peaceful cant.

If you're looking for the Bible to support CCW then you have some great examples already.
    Last edited by PapaScout; April 19th, 2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added Matthew 5
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    You can also go back to the old testiment and ponder over "eye for an eye'
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

me [OP]
    Unfortunatly I can not go to the OT because it is in Hebrew and I have not studdied that yet.
    Mark

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    ...but the alternative is that Peter drew his sword and made a precise slash to the side of the servant's head, precisely severing the ear and arresting the swing of the sword before it could strike the base of the neck.
    I agree. I would think this scenario isn't very likely...an everyman fisherman who was an expert swordsman?

Heh, I have thought many times about this scenario, but never considered the cross-draw. Couldn't quite figure out how he could have chopped off the guy's ear without mangling his shoulder as well. The closest to an explanation I could come is the scripture just left out the part about healing the servant's shoulder. Cross-draw makes perfect sense, though. Thanks for answering something I have puzzled over for a long time!

Sounds To This Christian...

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    A good portion of the passage in Luke is interesting. Jesus actually commands his disciples to sell a garment if necessary to buy a sword. Many try to explain this in all kinds of ways, but following verses support that it was a weapon. It may not have been a long, Roman 'assault' sword but, it was a deadly weapon.

The reply to this command, was 'here are two swords' and I don't believe for a moment that they quickly surveyed everyone and they passed their swords up to somebody to show them to Jesus. I believe one person had two swords himself and was emphasizing to Jesus that he was in compliance already. This strongly infers that the disciples routinely carried their swords in Jesus's presence and not once did he condemn them or critisize them for it; in fact He didn't say anything about it, except if you don't have one, sell a garment and get one.

The account of the 'ear removal' is significant. I don't believe for a second that Peter was trying to cut off an ear. The Scriptures say that the right ear was cut off, which would support a right-handed person cross-drawing a sword and slashing from left to right as he drew the sword. He wasn't aiming for the ear, but for the neck. The servant must have seen it coming and instinctively tilted his head to avoid the strike and got everything but his ear out of harm's way.

At first that sounds a little far fetched, but the alternative is that Peter drew his sword and made a precise slash to the side of the servant's head, precisely severing the ear and arresting the swing of the sword before it could strike the base of the neck.

Then in another account, I'd have to look up, when Jesus's disciples saw the 'mob' armed with staves and swords coming toward them, one disciple asked if they should slay them with the sword. This indicates that the disciples were as well armed as the mob. It also indicates that they were willing to defend themselves with their swords.

It makes one wonder, as a Christian, have we followed Jesus commandment and sold a garment to buy a sword?
    Like Peter should have had much more training with his sword...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 21st, 2007 at 09:17 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    LOL, maybe so, yet another lesson for us to apply to our 'swords' of today.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Search the word "enemy" in the KJV NT and see what God says about the way we are to treat our enemy's. Should be plenty there, God bless, HOLYROLLER.

Luke 22:36 records that after the Passover meal; … (Jesus) said to (his disciples), "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one …”
    Best,
    JP
    D/FW, TX

Did I misunderstand? I thought he was asking for verses that were a challenge to CC, not that supported it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links