TN making laws less restrictive (merged 2 threads)

This is a discussion on TN making laws less restrictive (merged 2 threads) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bill has been pushed to next Wednesday, the 9th. for those who wish to keep up, a good place to watch is: http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/b...lNumber=hb2184 Also, as ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TN making laws less restrictive (merged 2 threads)

Bill has been pushed to next Wednesday, the 9th.
    for those who wish to keep up, a good place to watch is:
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/b...lNumber=hb2184

Also, as for Restaurants, looks like it is not dead, but defered until the 8th. See this link:
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/b...lNumber=HB1143

Also, the "hunting areas" bill (HB0132) is on the table for the 9th.
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/b...lNumber=HB0132

As best I can make out, looks like all of these are still in play.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Hopefully Kansas will get on that bandwagon, too, although we just used up a ton of political capital getting HB 2528 through a veto vote. It may be a while before we can get another pro-2A bill through....
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Would be great if we could get those 1st two.

About the first one, we have a minor league ball team here which is owned by the city and we also built a travel team park. If this bill passes will I be able to carry there?

Senior Moderator
    I guess I'm still pesimistic; Naifeh hasn't allowed pro-gun bills out of committee in the past years, I don't know why he would now.

I thought I read where the resturant bill had been deferred to 2008?????
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

We can only hope. I sure wish people would stop electing him. One reason why I favor term limits

My understanding, is that as long as it is not a "school team", then yes, you should be able to carry there.

However, if any (ANY) of the teams are school-teams, then the park temporarily becomes school property, and falls under the school related gun laws. The REALLY weird thing about that, is you could be there carrying, perfectly legal, and a school team comes in, and suddenly you are illegal.

This is one I am REALLY hoping they fix soon.

Ok thats what I was thinking, it should also open up the fairgrounds also if I read it right which would be nice if I wanted to go down there.

Wait I just thought about something. Probably still couldnt carry to the ballpark to watch a game because of alcohol being served

I had a person "in the know" tell me that Naifeh had a personal run in with the old NRA lobbyist. The two wouldn't speak and Naifeh went against him just to prove he can. We now have a different NRA lobbyist so perhaps we can get the schoolyard antics out of the way and more some bills this year.
    The latest dispatch I've seen is yes...the "Restaurant carry" bill has been pushed back to 08 in the Senate. I don'[t know if the House version has any luck of moving...or if they are one in the same and have both pushed back to 08
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Here is the latest dispatch from the TFA:

As most of you know, House Bill 132, sponsored by Representative Mike Bell (R-23), would allow a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a firearm in all public hunting areas, refuges, wildlife management areas, and national forests managed by the state; House Bill 2184, sponsored by Representative Frank Nicely (R-17), would allow any resident, who has a valid handgun carry permit, to possess his or her handgun while within the boundaries of any state park.

While you may have read in the papers or on TV that Rob Briley has proposed an amendment allowing you to carry in government and public buildings civic centers and playgrounds, there is NO amendment for HB2184. It appears this is a ploy by Briley to fool you into thinking he is in favor of Niceley's bill so you won't bother to support the bill. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nicely also said the commissioner of parks is adamantly opposed to his bill.

Speaking of ploys TWRA (the guys who don't think your carry permit is worth a dime on their property) have prompted a "fiscal note" to Bell's bill that the state would lose $11,000 in fines were the bill to pass. This seems a bit odd that allowing carry permit holders to carry in public hunting areas would have any impact, since TWRA can't come up with a single case of a permit holder being arrested for poaching or violating game laws. TWRA say "they don't make a distinction between poachers and permit holders"--Maybe they should.
    (This is not correct and only "Assumed" by the TWRA. Actually it is documented by the state Dept. of Safety on violations of Handgun permit holders by State Law. I pulled this file last year and it showed ZERO cases of poaching against Handgun Permit Holders. So the Above fiscal impact should be ZERO. David)

I spoke with both Bell and Nicely today and both their bills are being rolled a week forward because one member of the judiciary who favors both bills will not be there tomorrow. They both tell me that they have 6 of the 10 judiciary members in favor of the two bills.

Both suggested that it would help get these two bills passed if people would phone in and thank the two freshman Democrats are voting for the bills. That means we have a few extra days to make those phone calls, but it also means that Rob Briley and Janis Sontany, ranking Democrats on the House Judiciary will have the same amount of time to try and browbeat Bass and Fincher into changing their vote.

You can use the toll free number for the General Assembly, 1-800-449-8366. Henry Fincher's Ext is 11875 and Eddie Bass's is 11864.
    This is our chance to make a difference.

This is your chance to make a difference.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

And the winner is:

Self-defense bill passes both houses
    The Tennessee bills will soon go to Gov. Phil Bredesen, who can sign them into law, veto them or let them be come law without his signature.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....0201/705080372
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

The TFA is against this with the language it's written.
    Tennessee Firearms Association - Legislative Action Committee
    Friday, May 4, 2007

SB 0011*
    Jackson
    HB 1907
    Rinks
    CRIMINAL LAW: Use of deadly force for self-defense. Expands the circumstances under which a person using deadly force for self-defense is considered immune from civil liability. Permits the use of deadly force for self-defense when there is reasonable belief of death in not only a person's residence (current law) but also in such person's dwelling or vehicle. Defines residence to include any dwelling or building within the curtilage of one's residence.
    Amendments: House amendment 1 clarifies the defenses listed are consistent with other parts of the code; adds a person who uses force is not immune from civil liability if the person against whom force was used is an innocent bystander.
    TCA Secs. 39-11-0600; 39-11-0611

Senate Status: Senate passed 05/03/2007.
    House Status: House 04/26/2007 passed with amendment 1.
    Other Status: Sent to the speakers for signatures 05/03/2007.

This is the Castle Doctrine Bill. I have opposed it in the manner in which it is written and in which it has passed. It is poorly drafted and now creates some problems that we did not previously have. I realize it was an effort to take what Tennessee had as an already existing castle doctrine and expand it to include vehicles but I am really disappointed in what has been enacted.

See TFALAC Alert from April 3, 2007 -

See this memo for why the bill needed to be stopped and for the talking points both on why and on how to address this issue:

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/dow...memosb0011.pdf

Perhaps TFA needs a new lobbyist.
    If we can get park carry and maybe carry were alcohol is served this will be a good year

Wow, good news for a change. We'll have to keep an eye on the news to see Bredesen's reaction.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    TN moves to allow guns in public buildings

Congratulations to TN for showing common sense! Maybe more states will follow.
    Contact you representative: http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm
    I hope all states see the light.

Of course...on the Tennesseans web site today, they posted a link to a searchable database of ALL Tennessee permit holders. It only lasted a few hours before they pulled it down..but the very fact they did it showed their true anti colors

Here's the email I got from my wife this morning with the latest progress.

House panel OKs pistol-packing in parks (Knoxville News-Sentinel/Humphrey)

State park rangers, Nashville police chief voice their objections NASHVILLE - Over the objections of a police chief and park rangers, a House committee Wednesday voted to allow the carrying of handguns in parks, playgrounds and other state and local government-owned recreational facilities. But despite that success in the House Judiciary Committee, sponsor Rep. Frank Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains, said he suspects "shenanigans" were afoot that could derail the bill further down the line. As originally introduced by Niceley, the bill would have simply allowed residents holding a handgun carry permit to take their weapons into state parks, which is currently prohibited. An amendment added earlier at the request of Judiciary Chairman Rob Briley, D-Nashville, opened up more areas to legal pistol-packing. http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/ar...529126,00.html

Bill to let gun permit holders carry guns in parks clears committee (Times-News)

Legislation that would let Tennessee gun permit holders carry handguns in state parks moved forward in the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday with an amendment allowing gun possession in additional public areas – including playgrounds and civic centers. Lawmakers on the committee debated the merits and listened to the potential pitfalls of state Rep. Frank Niceley’s handgun-carry bill before passing the amended version by a 6-4 vote. “The legal permit holders in this state have demonstrated they are responsible. Their behavior is as good or better than law enforcement,” Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains, said in advocating the bill. The legislation has two Northeast Tennessee co-sponsors: state Rep. Matthew Hill, R-Jonesborough, and state Sen. Rusty Crowe, R-Johnson City. State Rep. Jon Lundberg, R-Bristol, voted for Niceley’s bill.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9001280

Proposed Bill Would Allow Concealed Weapons In Parks, Civic Centers (WTVF-TV)

NASHVILLE, Tenn.- The state House Judiciary committee approved a bill that would allow weapon permit carriers to have guns in areas such as civic centers, parks and playgrounds. The issue sparked intense debate on Capitol Hill. Laws restricting where someone can or cannot carry a gun were implemented 15 years ago in Tennessee. Law enforcement and parks officials said there's no need for Tennesseans to carry concealed guns into these areas. "Common sense would dictate there is a time and a place for firearms and a state park is not the place for them," said April Welch, chairwoman of the Tennessee Park Rangers Association. "It's a family friendly location." "Well sometimes we need guns there to protect ourselves, protect our citizens, because you just never know when some crazy person is going to start shooting up, and we need to be able to protect ourselves," said bill supporter Donna Duncan. http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/s...&nav=menu374_2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links