New(?) Topic- Anyone Not Intervene and Wish They Had?

This is a discussion on New(?) Topic- Anyone Not Intervene and Wish They Had? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lot of our CCW tactical scenarios are "would you" intervene- -either hypothetical or real, and witnessed by our members. A few threads are "someone ...

Thread: New(?) Topic- Anyone Not Intervene and Wish They Had?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

New(?) Topic- Anyone Not Intervene and Wish They Had?

A lot of our CCW tactical scenarios are "would you" intervene- -either hypothetical or real, and witnessed by our members.

A few threads are "someone did" intervene (posted here, as opposed to the "scenario" area).

There may even be some "I did" intervene threads, but not a great many.

I'll flip the question for our august membership: Anyone ever have a chance to intervene, decide not to, and regret it?

If so, why?
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Nope. I have been in a few situations I could have intervened. I feel my best course of action (911 and being a witness) was best.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yep! Yrs ago...........

Could Have?

Yep, but I tend to mind my own business...it's much safer, both legally and healty wise...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    No but, truthfully I did intervene once and then wished that I didn't.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    No but, truthfully I did intervene once and then wished that I didn't.
    Can you tell us more about this?

Was it a domestic incident (between family members)?

Senior Moderator
    There have been numerous occasions over the years where I should have intervened more but didnt in my endeavors as an part time LEO.

I've been to some domestic disputes where the perp should have been hung ...but I didnt do it.

I went to a rape, where a 18 month old baby had been raped by her momma's boyfriend. I should have shot him on the spot...but I didnt do it.

A few weeks ago another scumbag killed a boy that was 11 months old because he was crying. The dude said that he didnt mean to hurt the baby, yet the kid had bite marks all over his neck. I wanted to tie a rope to his neck and drag him down a gravel road until his head popped off....but I didnt do it.

Went to a domestic dispute where a man beat his woman near to death for coming home from work late. Broke numerous bones, nearly ripped her bottom lip off. I wanted to take my ASP and beat him till he begged for mercy, and then beat him some more, but I didnt do it.

Yeah...there has been numerous times where I wanted to do more...but didnt. I'm not sure that the world is better off for it either.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    So far no, thank God. Most of the time it's better not to. And I really hope I don't ever have to but... if I ever do come across a "imminent death" situation and I feel certain I can save an innocent life, well, I'm afraid I will have to try! That's just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There have been numerous occasions over the years where I should have intervened more but didnt in my endeavors as an part time LEO.

I've been to some domestic disputes where the perp should have been hung ...but I didnt do it.

I went to a rape, where a 18 month old baby had been raped by her momma's boyfriend. I should have shot him on the spot...but I didnt do it.

A few weeks ago another scumbag killed a boy that was 11 months old because he was crying. The dude said that he didnt mean to hurt the baby, yet the kid had bite marks all over his neck. I wanted to tie a rope to his neck and drag him down a gravel road until his head popped off....but I didnt do it.

Went to a domestic dispute where a man beat his woman near to death for coming home from work late. Broke numerous bones, nearly ripped her bottom lip off. I wanted to take my ASP and beat him till he begged for mercy, and then beat him some more, but I didnt do it.

Yeah...there has been numerous times where I wanted to do more...but didnt. I'm not sure that the world is better off for it either.
    Not much one can say to that is there? Unfortunately there are a lot of sick and disturbed critters out there. God be with you.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    There was one I might as well ignored last summer. A guy was arguing with a woman. At one point I thought he was going to hit her so I called the PD. I was put on hold three times before I could give the information. I was by myself so intervening directly beyond calling the PD would have put myself in a position that would have only escalted things. I've thought about it a couple of times since and I don't know that I could have done anything different knowing how sideways domestics can go.

I guess there is part of me that would have liked to done more...it just wasn't the smart thing to do that time.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Nope, not so far. A couple of times I could/should have, but only in retrospect. At the time I didn't have enough facts to know just who was the BGs and who were the good guys, so I just called 911.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links