Will it make a difference

This is a discussion on Will it make a difference within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two years from now will we have more or less restrictive gun laws because of VA Tech?...

View Poll Results: 2 Years from now will gun laws be more or less restrictive because of VA Tech

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • We will have more restrictive gun laws

38 28.79%
  • We will have less restrictive gun laws

37 28.03%
  • It will make no difference

57 43.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will it make a difference

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Will it make a difference

Two years from now will we have more or less restrictive gun laws because of VA Tech?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I am too pessimistic to say less restrictive.

Politicians care more for their job than principal. Feel good politics is the "best thing ever" according to some. My guns make me feel good, (by thier ability to assist protection) but make those who will never meet me feel bad.

Personally responsibility is all but dead, so they will blame that which they are not, which is us gun owners.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Assistant Administrator
    I said ''more'' - not just because of VT but simply the trend ... even tho we will keep fighting for all we are worth.

OK - that's the pessimist in me but in truth ......... we should (could) be better of if .... a sea change of opinion sees the logic in the lawfully armed citizen, and - the near impossibility of preventing the armed criminal.

I would like to dream of all states having effective shall issue - castle and stand ground ....... and a relaxation of the crazy gun-free zones, so that the determined defender of life and liberty has at least a fighting chance.

Dreams are allowed - I think
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I voted "less restrictive," which is unusual. I am normally a pessimist, who believes strongly in "only a pessimist is capable of being truly pleasantly surprised." But for some reason, I have a feeling that this horrible tragedy has awoken some people...would that they could have been convinced without this tragedy.

I chose not to vote, because I realy think things are totally up for grabs right now. However, I tend to agree with falcon1.

I am not betting on it, but I noticed more self defense and cancealed carry discussion after the Amish school killings. This time the volume seems to be even louder and the editorials more prolific in news sources, talk radio, internet newspapers and on blog sites.

There are definately the beginnings of a movement out there. I hope some good will come from this tragedy and one good outcome could be seeing Chris's dreams come to some fruition. It would be good not only for the cause of freedom, but could save many innocent lives in the future.

The truth, facts, and data support our postion in this. The only thing supporting the other side is irrational emotion of one sort or another, and the media, and Rosie, and oh wait.......I'm starting to lose faith. Gotta get a grip here.....

Ok, I'm back. Whew, that was a close one. We'll just have to keep fighting for what is right and see what happens. It's our only choice.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    I voted Less. I don't know, but I have the feeling that VT has energized our side and scared theirs. I see the Mainstream Media interviewing more people from our side than ever and, to their chagrin, they are not the beer-guzzling hicks they come to expect but people that tell it like it is in a rational manner but without pulling any punches.
    I was thinking why the Miami Herald refused to print any letter from Pro-2A people, Just because they hate us or because we made some points that cannot be argued? They know we warned over and over about the dangers of gun-free zones and the chose to ignore them. Now it blew in their faces because we are not stepping back but going forward at full force and pointing fingers at them almost as much as the Cho nutjob. I think it rattled their cage big time.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    I agree with SGTD, as well as Miggy.

Its to early to call it, and very dangerous to do so. But all the goofball polls I've seen on the news sites have the progun side winning by a comfortable margin.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Maybe it is just the company I keep and the websites I go to, but it seems like a lot more people are saying 'What if one of these kids had been armed?'

I heard someone on FoxNews asking a similar question, and I guess maybe it is just a FoxNews thing, but when is the last time you heard someone in the MSM asking a question like that? If this had happened 4 years ago I highly doubt anyone in a public office or the MSM would talk like that. Heck, just think about 10 years ago. I really think things are getting better and better for the RKBA movement.

Have faith, brothers in arms.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I voted "less restrictive", because we have the VCDL. Probably the most effective grass roots pro-gun organization in the country.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I Said, No Difference...

I've been around a long time...rhetoric abounds, but little will be done! The battle will continue...
    We won't lose much, but I fear little gain...

If I can keep what I have here in Florida...I can survive!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I voted more restrictive, simply because based on the history of Cho, or mental history I think I should say, I believe the NICS checks will be changed to make it manditory that people that are undergoing mental health treatment will be reported to the NICS system.

Personally, if that is all that comes about from this I will be glad. That is if the system is improved that actually is updated and accurate as to personal histories etc, and keeps people with mental problems, or histories of violence, spousal abuse, and other histories that deem them threats to themselves or others, that is fine by me.

Some may disagree, but this person is definately someone who should not have been purchasing firearms in my opinion. This is a slippery slope but when it comes to people with definate mental problems, and in this case very destrucitive mental problems, I don't have a problem with restricting their access to firearms.

If the pro gun and anti gun people could find a common ground on this limited measure, it surely would reduce the chance of the restrictions going overboard and over reaction as is the case in many instances.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I voted more restrictive, simply because based on the history of Cho, or mental history I think I should say, I believe the NICS checks will be changed to make it manditory that people that are undergoing mental health treatment will be reported to the NICS system.

Personally, if that is all that comes about from this I will be glad. That is if the system is improved that actually is updated and accurate as to personal histories etc, and keeps people with mental problems, or histories of violence, spousal abuse, and other histories that deem them threats to themselves or others, that is fine by me.

Some may disagree, but this person is definately someone who should not have been purchasing firearms in my opinion. This is a slippery slope but when it comes to people with definate mental problems, and in this case very destrucitive mental problems, I don't have a problem with restricting their access to firearms.

If the pro gun and anti gun people could find a common ground on this limited measure, it surely would reduce the chance of the restrictions going overboard and over reaction as is the case in many instances.
    agree 100% with you!

We need to be involved, call our elected officials and let them know what we think. They will listen!

I voted less restrictive. Thats more of a hope than heart felt conviction, but I'm somewhat encouraged.

Just based on discussions with people I know and work with, many of which don't own any guns and many who only vote for Democrats (I know a lot of people who belong to labor Unions) and I can't get anyone I know to argue with me about gun control. Most folks seem to agree that this was an isolated incident that an evil demented person did and no law would have prevented him from carrying out his slaughter.

I don't think things are the same in relation to gun control as they were when the 94 ban went into effect. As a nation the number of people who can leagally carry a concealed weapon has exploded. More people own handguns than ever before. I think a lot of people who only own one gun for home protection (often a handgun maybe even a Glock 19) now see that the antis don't only want the "assault weapons" that "gun nutts" like me own but also want the gun that they own which is like the one used by this phsyco.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Based simply on the amount of people that are attending CHL classes these days, Im going to say LESS restrictions will be a result.

I really though that after 12 years of teaching CHL classes in a city with a pop. of about 25,000 that eventually the area would have become saturated.

Instead, the classes are as strong as they ever have been averaging around 40 students per class.

The mentality of gun ownership is slowly changing, and I personally think that a large part of it comes from the information exchange on the INTERNET, which can have some excellent discussion and open up peoples minds to things that they would otherwise never hear. As an example, look that this forum. Hardly a day goes by that we dont have someone that is "new" to handguns asking questions.

Even those in the predominately anti gun big cities are beginning to "rethink" some of the things that they have been fed all their lives.

Hopefully, the laws will get better instead of worse.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Well, if you would have seen the most recent AOL chats after this most recent tragedy yelling BAN GUNS! BAN ALL GUNS! - you must realize that after any international incident like this that folks who really think with their illogical hearts rather than their rational minds just continue to harbor even stronger anti-gun sentiments in general.
    That's just the way it is with them & they vote. So anytime a firearm is involved & thanks to idiotic media reporting the anti gunners grow in numbers.
    Little do they realize that in their imaginary safe havens of the college campus and classroom and dorm that they are now at an even greater risk than ever before. Don't think for a minute that hidden terror cells inside this country have failed to notice the devastating national/international impact they can create by shooting up a few college classrooms filled with basically helpless citizens.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links