Teachers comment on carrying

This is a discussion on Teachers comment on carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Steve48 As a School Psychologist and a CCW holder, I am for someone in the school to carry, however, you will never ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers comment on carrying

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    As a School Psychologist and a CCW holder, I am for someone in the school to carry, however, you will never get that through to the NEA or the teacher unions. They are as anti-gun as they get. There are a few of us that believe this is the answer, however, we are in the small minority. Steve48
    It makes you wonder doesn't it? How many have to die before 'we' realize the current system of laws and gun free zones just isn't working?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    As a School Psychologist and a CCW holder, I am for someone in the school to carry, however, you will never get that through to the NEA or the teacher unions. They are as anti-gun as they get. There are a few of us that believe this is the answer, however, we are in the small minority. Steve48
    Thats OK, a small minority is all thats needed.

In the case of an elementary or high school, it has to be a teacher or admin., but what gets me is this was a college. Everyone was an adult. You have everybody from 18 year old kids to old farts. You have war vets, LEO's, teachers.... all kinds of people fully capable of taking care of business, yet no one did for whatever reason.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    It makes you wonder doesn't it? How many have to die before 'we' realize the current system of laws and gun free zones just isn't working?
    For the myopic, apparently thousands more. As for me, it seems the only sensible path to self-preservation. Always has been. Since finding out the Supreme Court ruled there is no general duty to serve and protect, as such, the reality was clear. When you're out, you're on your own in the simplest terms possible.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I've already printed this out. I think I'm gonna post it on my office door:

You can’t shoot me on this campus

This is a gun free campus so I am totally protected

Hence, nothing like the VT tragedy could happen here

Though it makes the point, it also annouces that I'm unarmed - I don't like that!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

The anti-gun groups have tried to temper the impact of states' advances on CC by having the legislation allowing for CC provide for the "Gun Free Zones" as an emotional, rather than an intellectual, "safety net" for the "feel good" folks.

GFZ's don't work well based on casual observation, but what we need is a concerted effort to develop scientific evidence that GFZ's are a policy failure.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Crazy....schools and churches...people stacked like fish in barrels....

A detective friend took some courses at a community college in his jurisdiction a few years ago. His department required off-duty carry at the time...and the campus security folks threatened to remove him bodily if he didn't disarm. He chuckled and invited them to "go for it." Then he called the Chief of Police...and the problem went away.

It strikes me as...well...crazy...that some don't even want LEOs armed on campus.

I'm not a teacher...but when it becomes lawful...I will carry at the church...and would as a teacher....

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Estimating the numbers

I have seen studies of the percent of adults in "shall issue" states who obtain a CCW permit, and it is generally in the 2%-3% range. these are the people who have the interest, motivation and skill to obtain the permit and not be disqualified for reasons of age, criminal record or whatever. Most people (97% to 98%) will not obtain a CCW permit, even though they could.

Clearly some of those people in the 2-3% with permits are teachers, but I would bet that teachers are "under-represented" in the group because of the general leftist political bias of teachers in general. And most teachers are prevented by local laws from carrying at work, as we know (with Utah being one exception). So I would be surprised if the percent of teachers who would carry in school, assuming it was legal, would exceed 2%, or 1 in 50.

Nevertheless, that 2% might have some deterrent effect, because a criminal considering a school shooting wouldn't know who they were. And once in awhile one of those 2% would be in a position to stop the attack and save some lives.

So why not do it? If you trust teachers to mold the minds of your children, aren't they also trustworthy enough to CCW in the presence of the children and protect them in an emergency? I certainly think so.

Aren't most Teachers Liberals?
    Almost everyone I met is..That answer does not surprise me.

This came up while talking with a techer-friend of mine. Her response was "Teachers snap too." I believe this, and remember my 5th grade class made a game out of trying to make our teacher cry (Sorry, Mrs V).

I still want my kids in a school that has some protection, maybe a solution that some of the antis could stomach would be to have weapons in lockboxes in classrooms. The lockbox would require 2 school employees to open it. Kinda slow, but waaay faster that getting a gun from the car or waiting for the cops.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    What did your daughter say if anything?

There is no doubt in my mind that the majority of teachers love their students and would do just about anything to protect them except carry a gun. I don't pretend to get it.
    My daughter really didnt say much. One student did say " If that teacher that held the door shut had a gun, he probably could have shot the guy through the door".
    I agree with the comment "tangle " said about not becoming a teacher to be to watch kids get massacred.
    No matter what happens some people just will not arm themselves.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    This came up while talking with a techer-friend of mine. Her response was "Teachers snap too." I believe this, and remember my 5th grade class made a game out of trying to make our teacher cry (Sorry, Mrs V).

I still want my kids in a school that has some protection, maybe a solution that some of the antis could stomach would be to have weapons in lockboxes in classrooms. The lockbox would require 2 school employees to open it. Kinda slow, but waaay faster that getting a gun from the car or waiting for the cops.
    I dont believe this would be much of a compromise. Its like keeping a gun in a lock box at home. Two teachers would have to know a long time in advance of the shooting. I'd hate to think we'd have to "settle" for a plan like that..

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I'd hate to think we'd have to "settle" for a plan like that..

I agree wholeheartedly that we shouldn't have to settle for this option.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Many, many more, I fear.

Remember, for the longest time, airline pilots were prohibited from carrying. The Pilots unions and so on resisted, but in the end, logic prevailed, the world did not end, airplanes did not fall from the sky, and terrorists/criminals are second guessing.

Maybe someday, the teachers will come around too.
    "...Far better it is to dare mighty things....than to take rank with those poor spirits who...knows not victory nor defeat." Theordore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Aren't most Teachers Liberals?
    Almost everyone I met is..That answer does not surprise me.
    Most, but not all. Those of us who aren't "Liberals" tend to listen a lot, and talk sparingly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links