Teachers comment on carrying

This is a discussion on Teachers comment on carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter came home from school the other day (she's a senior)and said they talked about the school shooting all day. She goes to a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers comment on carrying

VIP Member

Teachers comment on carrying

My daughter came home from school the other day (she's a senior)and said they talked about the school shooting all day. She goes to a school that had a shooting.
    They discussed gun control and concealed carry. One of the teachers made the comment " I did'nt go to school to be a teacher so I can pack a gun".
    I understand where she's coming from. I believe teachers should be able carry at school, but of course it would have to be voluntary. Makes ya wonder just how many would carry.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I expect that those who already have permits to carry outside of school would consider it carefully...those who don't already do so probably wouldn't. The number of those who carried in schools (if legal) would thus likely be a small percentage, but it would keep the criminals guessing.

Senior Moderator
    I've taught a fair number of teachers in the CHL classes. While some would prefer not to carry, many said that they would. Just about all of them would at the very least like to have them in their vehicles where they could get access to them if needed.

The ones that jump through the hoops to carry are much more likely to be willing to carry than someone that does not have a permit to tote.

If you think about it, if just a couple of teachers that knew how to shoot and were able to carry did so, that would be much better than the target rich environments that we have made our schools into.

At least a wacko shooter would have to think about the fact that they might get shot if they tried something stupid. Right now they are guaranteed a high body count if they choose to go that route.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I haven't seen anything that would indicate a percentage of teachers willing to carry would be any different from the general population. My uneducated guess would be that they would come out the same with the pro/anti/indifferent. I have no doubt the recent incident converted a few.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

One of the teachers made the comment " I did'nt go to school to be a teacher so I can pack a gun".
    Hard to see how any expectation of surviving an assault could coexist with such feelings. I appreciate everyone's right to choose their own path, but denial is dead-end path.

The teacher woke up this morning wishing to live, wishing to survive such an attack ... and that doesn't reliably occur due to sheer blind luck. It has nothing to do with vocation, emotions, wishful thinking. When the chips are down and an attack is on, the right tools in hand combine with tactics and training to tilt the karma wheel. Little else matters, in an attack.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    What did your daughter say if anything?

There is no doubt in my mind that the majority of teachers love their students and would do just about anything to protect them except carry a gun. I don't pretend to get it.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I expect that those who already have permits to carry outside of school would consider it carefully...those who don't already do so probably wouldn't. The number of those who carried in schools (if legal) would thus likely be a small percentage, but it would keep the criminals guessing.
    Exactly!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

If legal, I would carry at school in a heartbeat!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    My best friend is currently a substitute teacher and very pro-2A. She sub's 3rd graders most of the time. Wednesday, one of her students asked if she would protect them if someone started shooting in the school. She said she would but was secretly at a loss for how- telling me that she would want a gun in that situation.

I asked her about her thoughts of college students carrying and some teachers (at their own discretion). Her reply was that most college students are too immature to handle them and that she wouldn't trust any other teacher with a gun except herself. I asked her to consider the possibility that maybe one of the other teachers was an avid shooter and was prepared for a scenario. She said she would trust them, but no one else.

I'm at a loss for that one. She's a bright gal, but has nearly zero trust for other people (which is well-founded in her case). I balked at the college student comment because of how prevelant firearms are on our campus. She was surprised.

Her and I will be backpacking through northern Arizona for most of June and she will be carrying my Hk and me with my Bushmaster. Hiking out here at night, and indeed during the day, is not advisable in the backcountry unless one is armed. We'll see how she feels about pointing her light into the woods at night and seeing pairs of eyes looking back at her. haha Should illustrate my point nicely.... The "animals" will stay away from a protected area because they fear the response.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    I teach in a community college of about 10,000 students. The day TN says I can legally carry, I will. Those that choose to keep their heads buried in their ideals can die with their ideals.

As for, "I didn't go to school to be a teacher so I can pack a gun", well I didn't go to school to be a teacher so I could die in school at the hands of a madman or watch helplessly as students are massacred.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    As for, "I didn't go to school to be a teacher so I can pack a gun", well I didn't go to school to be a teacher so I could die in school at the hands of a madman or watch helplessly as students are massacred.
    Excellent comeback, its time to grow up and understand the world we are living in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I think we're all angry about this tragedy. It just didn't have to happen. Self-defense works, it would have worked at VT.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone that can think, would think that a law, something written on paper, would have had any impact on this. Aren't there already laws about murdering people?

If anything is to blame for the VT tragedy, it is gun control, not the right to bear arms, that right is denied all over our nation and we keep seeing the tragic results of it.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

My wife is a teacher's aid in an elementary school and a CCW holder. If allowed she would carry in the school in a heartbeat. The school is rural and it would take 15-20 minutes for the first responder to arrive. That's a lot of time for bad things to happen.

I believe this issue is not only concerning the 2A, but one of the personal freedoms. Allowing teachers to carry in schools should also be viewed as a freedom of choice. Wether a person agrees or disagrees with the issue, they should let the individuals choose for themselves. I much rather depend and trust on the only thing I am sure about, that I have a right to live and that no one else is as concerned as me regarding my own life.

As a School Psychologist and a CCW holder, I am for someone in the school to carry, however, you will never get that through to the NEA or the teacher unions. They are as anti-gun as they get. There are a few of us that believe this is the answer, however, we are in the small minority. Steve48

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links