Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too.

This is a discussion on Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SonofASniper She did mean to offend you. If she hadn't she would not have made that remark. She was very insensitive to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post

She did mean to offend you. If she hadn't she would not have made that remark.

She was very insensitive to a sad and tragic event that has hurt this nation.

Her comments are inexcusable.

I got the feeling that you were almost apolagizing for exercising your 2A right, and you should never have to apolagize for wanting to protect yourself.

+10 on that.

2. Remove Ads

Lima, I dont believe in fate either...I believe in God. He does in fact orchestrate situations for His purposes and this may have in fact been one of them.

I have to agree with SonofASniper on this one, it sounds as though youre being to hard on yourself. I have two pieces of advice for you:

1. Dont let this woman's comments or even your interests define who you are. Let your identity, your peace and your joy come from some place or someone beyond their reach...and noboby can touch you w/words or even actions.

2. As a member of a minority group (CC), doubtless you will encounter more of the same mindset ou there. Let this experience do it's work...develop patience and thicken your skin. It will serve you again in time.

God bless, HOLYROLLER.

She did mean to offend you. If she hadn't she would not have made that remark.
    Ditto.

Her sad refusal to engage her brain and instead spout propaganga instead of thinking through to the truth is, in a nutshell, one of the greatest ills of modern American citizens. They don't think. They react. They categorize and label, to avoid having to realize that a given person is in fact unique and not merely "one of those" folks. It is sad. Heart breaking, actually. 'Cause when the last person has ceased rational thought, the death of this nation won't be far behind. I fear the rising stupidity of the masses shows this day to be not far away.

The truth remains. You're thinking it through. You have an understanding. As a writer, you have an ability to teach others via words and logic, in the hopes they can engage their brains to some beneficial end. The anti-gunners are winning? No. Rather, stupdity is winning. And this is a fight worth fighting until the last one is standing (stupidity, that is). The right words can only help, in the end.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I got the feeling that you were almost apolagizing for exercising your 2A right, and you should never have to apolagize for wanting to protect yourself.
    Well, that is certainly the opposite of what I wanted. In fact, when I called my husband I specifically said I was not apologizing for my stand, but I thought that something should be said, kindly.

I honestly don't even think she THOUGHT about what she was saying much less whether it would offend anyone. She had just been on her horse about gun control and then spat out the first thing that came to mind to the closest gun advocate there was.

In honesty I think she may really believe (at least subconsciously) or fear that every gun owner IS a potential threat.

I think those worries by people who fear what they don't know should not be undermined (scared people en mass can do a LOT of bad). Instead, I think they should be addressed and reasoned with intelligently.

I'll read over it a couple of times and see if I can't weed out any sounds of apology in my beliefs. However, I'm under the impression that I'll get this bee more effectively with honey than vinegar.

The way I see it, these people are just WAITING for us to do something rash and in emotion. Perhaps they think if they can make up respond in anger they can go, "AHHH.. SEE.. SEE.. I KNEW there was a reason to watch that person." They are looking to justify their fears because deep down they know their fears are unfounded.

A gentle, reasonable approach may be enough for them to go.. hey, these gun totters aren't that crazy after all.

I'm with SonofASniper here; short of a public apology from not only her, but from all of those in the group, don't even waste your time with them any more. Do take the time to let them know of what they've done to you, and afford them the opportunity to mend their mistakes - they probably won't do it, but it'll make you feel better at the end.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Lima

Are you sure you are not over reacting just a little bit?

Maybe you want to think about it for a day or two before you send that e-mail, and before you get your feelings hurt because one of your friends joked with you about a subject that the two of you are on the opposite sides of.

You give some great advice from the female view to all of us here in this male dominated forum and we love you for it, but maybe this time you need to try a male view on this subject.

Go get yourself a T Shirt made up for your next writers meeting that says "Warning I may be deranged because I believe in the 2nd Amendment" or "You like me now but if we are together and a mass murder comes at us you will love my Kimber"
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    "You like me now but if we are together and a mass murder comes at us you will love my Kimber"

VIP Member
    Lima, I read your post but my fried brain could not come up with anything insightful to make you feel better. So I was on my way to bed but decide to check on anothe board before calling it quits for the day and saw this posted. I think it might help

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith." The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed".
    And good nite fellow shooters and freedom lovers.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Are you sure you are not over reacting just a little bit?

Maybe you want to think about it for a day or two before you send that e-mail, and before you get your feelings hurt because one of your friends joked with you about a subject that the two of you are on the opposite sides of.
    That's why I didn't hit the "send" button.

I'm a pretty rational, logical, even-tempered, understanding, patient gal and I NEVER do something without fully thinking it through, but that doesn't mean my bottom doesn't get chapped every once in awhile and I want to A) over analyze the situation and work REALLY hard to say EXACTLY the right thing for a situation that was blown out of proportion only by my imagination or B) kick them in the shin.

Mostly I opt for A because I'm a rational, logical, even-tempered, understanding, patient, and sometimes sensitive and hormonal, girl and because last time I kicked someone I was sent to the principals office.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    "You like me now but if we are together and a mass murder comes at us you will love my Kimber"

That made me just about fall out of my chair laughing.

Lima, I appreciate how you want to go about this calmly. I appreciate the views that you bring to this forum.

However, I do believe that sometimes people need to feel a very firm, logical, and direct response to horrible comments that they make.

Let me tell you a story where such a firm direct response changed a person's outlook very quickly. My brother served in the Army as a firefighter stationed at Ft. Drum, NY. He had the displeasure of serving duty at Ground Zero in New York City.

About two years ago he was cited for driving without a seatbelt on. He subsequently had to attend a seatbelt safety class in lieu of paying a fine. The lady who instructed the class opened up with this remark: "More people are killed annually by not wearing their seatbelts then the those who were killed on 9/11."

My brother promptly stood up and told her "I served in the Army as a firefighter and was at Ground Zero. There is no comparison to that tragedy and how dare you make such casual remark about that tragedy!" The instructer apolagized to the entire classroom after a few silent moments. She later approached him after the class and apolagized again for how careless and thoughtless she had been and thanked him for bringing it to her attention.

Sometimes a strong response to thoughtless remarks such as your "friend's" are better than the most honey dipped well thought out ones.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    I don't believe that any of their comments were made to intentionally hurt limatunes. They were sarcastic comments - yes.
    These people are media brainwashed.
    They truly believe that guns are evil because they are bombarded with it almost daily.
    They have nothing positive to compare that daily bombardment with because...that is also intentional on the part of the media.
    The ONLY reason that us gun owners are NOT getting media slammed BIG TIME on the Va massacre is because the shooter was not a middle class caucasian American NRA member.

I think that with these recent comments to limatunes they were almost like Big Brother - Big Sister "helpful well intentioned" but, slightly smart-assed comments.
    Sort of like...See what happened in VA that "Bad Guns" caused?
    You carry one because you think they are good things?
    But, see how bad they are now?
    See what can happen when bad guns are in the world and people OWN them? They (guns) make bad, terrible things happen.
    I think they were probably wondering if limatunes learned a valuable lesson about bad guns.
    They were intended to help her see the error of her "gun loving" ways.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    I'd probably get asked, "What's a Kimber?"

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I think they were just joking with her because they like her.

If you can take a comment two ways, a good way and a bad way then take it in the good way.

It is like the bumper sticker "Friends don't let friends vote Republican" next we will be seeing "Friends don't friends carry guns" but what we should be seeing is "Friends don't let friends get shot by maniacs"
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

DC Founder
    I can certainly appreciate what you are trying to say, limatunes. It needs to be said. And while I think most of what you wrote was probably what needed to be said, I'm with some of the others on one point they made. It seemed too apologetic in areas. I don't know how to explain without just showing you, so I edited your original email. Nothing has been added, but some emphasis was removed so not to seem quite so overstated. I hope you are able to resolve this with this group that you obviously otherwise enjoy.

XXXXX,
    I'm sorry the topic of the VT shooting came up so many times this evening. I, like you, find the emphasis to be placed in all of the wrong places and the media (even when I don't have a TV) to be overplaying the event. Sadly, they will continue to do so for weeks. My hope, tonight, was to get away from the chaos for a few hours with my friends and fellow writers, but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the subject arose. The tragedy saddened the entire nation and we can do nothing but express bafflement at what happened.
    I understand that our views differ on firearms and I do respect your views. I understand you did not mean to offend me with your statement about the possibility of my needing an intervention or that you were worried about me, but to be quite honest with you I was a bit offended. I find the events of last Monday to be horrific, sad, and devastating and I felt as though I was being compared to the killer because of my interests. I hope you can understand how it may have seemed that way to me in light of the recent events.
    As a gun advocate I am for people and their interests in firearms, but more importantly I am for the safe, legal, and beneficial use of those firearms. I find that in light of recent events myself, and those I know with similar interests, have found themselves under a litany of thoughtless, rude, and downright cruel remarks. People have lashed out in their frustrations and not understood that the words they say can and do hurt people that they never expected or wanted to hurt.
    None of us (not me, you, or anyone I could even hope to know) would ever want something like this to happen and when it does it breaks all of our hearts, no matter how such crimes are committed.
    Again, I understand that you did not mean to offend me. I also debated whether I should send this email or not because I do not want to offend you either. I find I have a number of things in common with you and I enjoy both your personality and your interests. I also consider you a friend and have appreciated the advice and kindness that you have extended to me since I joined the group.
    Please understand that I am not angry nor do I think of you any differently. My intent in this email is to express that I feel no different than anyone else in that I think something was horribly wrong and someone, somewhere, dropped the ball. I don't know what could have been done to prevent the event from happening, but I'm no less sensitive to it. I wanted to be sure that you don't, even for a moment, think that I am even remotely capable of such a thing.

Perhaps I've been a little sensitive (which is usually not me) but I think the whole nation is a little sensitive right now.

I didn't want to say anything at the time because I wasn't quite sure what to say, and to be honest, I was taken aback by the statement. I do hope you understand.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Limatunes

I would probably give it a day or two and they will probably forget they even said anything. There are some people like that everywhere ( I have a few where I work). They will spout off anything and everything and have no idea what they are even talking about.

They just like to be loud.

I know that you will do the right thing. You are in good company here and always welcome.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links