Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too.

This is a discussion on Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like I stated in another thread, standing up for what is right won't win you any popularity contests. It just means you are right. Never ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too.

Like I stated in another thread, standing up for what is right won't win you any popularity contests. It just means you are right. Never be afraid to confront stupidity with the truth and facts. Do it politely and with tact and let them rave. But it will effect a few and make them think.

One of my counters is "YOU HAVE A CAR!" "Do you know how many people are killed by those things every year, every day!" "Why you could snap at any time and just start running people down, it's happened several times you know". Some people get it, many don't.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Sheeple. They want little responsibility for their own safety, but are first to want someone else to protect them form lifes pitfalls. Personally, I would think none of them are worth my time to try to convince.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    I'm not sure what your response to this other person should be, but I would like to complement you on your restraint!

Perhaps a private talk before your next meeting?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    She meant it as a joke but I was both hurt and offended. She practically categorized me with a killer just because of my interests. I know that she was not meaning to offend me and she meant it as a joke but I couldn't help to think if I had something so careless how ripped to shreds I would have been. Instead, those who overheard laughed and someone said, "We'll have to watch her."
    Sadly, most humor (or attempts at it) is based on some bit of truth. The 'truth' part may be based on some fact or the interpretation thereof........The 'truth' part can also be how someone feels emotionally about the issue, not based on any substance, just emotion. In this case I feel it is the latter.

She was projecting her gut feeling into this 'joke'. She has demonstrated, that somewhere in the far reaches of her mind, that she is suspicious of you as a 'gun nut'. This will not change & she will continue to be wary of you. We're dealing in emotion here, not fact.

You have several routes to take, as have been outlined well by others in the previous posts. You can:

- Do nothing, continue being a normal self assured person, who doesn't force the opinion. ('when you argue with someone who is ignorant, it's hard to tell the difference')
    - Get mad, & attack. By 'attack' I mean blow her away WITH FACTS! (depending on how forceful your response, it may just make her dig in her heels.)
    - Quietly try to inform, educate her & others. (this might be accomplished by sending her emails with different accounts of incidents, facts by reputable writers....etc....)

Good luck.........

Each one has it's drawbacks & its attributes. You will have to decide how to respond/ or not to.

One additional note: Don't give people the power to offend you. No matter what they say, if it isn't true............WHO CARES? I go back to a quote from the late Red Skelton.......
    I don't hate my enemies, cause I made 'em.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I am late to the thread but will say that there are some excellent posts in here - not least from lima herself and QK.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

She was probably just kidding with you, albeit in poor taste. I'm sure she realizes that you are a responsible person. I've joked with people before and it wasn't taken as I meant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I'm sure she realizes that you are a responsible person.
    What is it about her statements, or deer-in-headlights eyes, or increasingly-rapid pulse that gave away her realization? (Which, I'm sure accompanied what she said, if she were serious.) BTDT, and signs such as these are ones we've all seen. When they occur, it's because the true, deep-seated fears come through, realizing that this person's now sitting with someone missing a couple cans in the six-pack (us), despite appearances or statements to the contrary.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Limatunes,

You said she was your friend? Friends don't publicly humiliate friends...she should publicly apologize for that alone. Friends can agree to disagree and go on being friends. From what I read, she seems to have crossed the line from friend to acquaintance. FWIW...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    She picked up one of the books, showed it to the group and said, "Oh my God, LOOK at this. See what she is looking at?" She then sat in front of me and said in a joking manner, "Are we going to have to have an intervention? Are you stable and feeling okay? You aren't going to go crazy on us now are you?"

She meant it as a joke but I was both hurt and offended. She practically categorized me with a killer just because of my interests. I know that she was not meaning to offend me and she meant it as a joke but I couldn't help to think if I had something so careless how ripped to shreds I would have been. Instead, those who overheard laughed and someone said, "We'll have to watch her."

I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say this, but I've done the best I know how to be a law-abiding, gentle, stable, happy, benefit to society, and I am offended by the notion that, because I am a gun advocate, I am anything less than a good woman trying to do my best in this world.
    Being a literate individual, she should find a suggestion inoffensive:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Random-Ac...7077836&sr=8-1

A note suggesting that she might find a deeper understanding of interpersonal relationships, and be less prone to inappropriate and offensive jokes, would be a suitable accompaniment. If you don't want to buy it, I have a copy I'm willing to send for a good cause.(Shoot me a PM, if you want it)

Well worth reading, for you as well. It makes it much easier to stomp the ignorant with factual information that relates to the "feelings" they are generally so in touch with.

You as a "sheepdog" have experienced the two speeds of sheep. They are only ever in "graze" or "stampede" mode. Sounds like they had a mental and verbal stampede. Not to worry, they didn't hurt you, as all sheepdogs can dodge their stampedes.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

VIP Member
    If a friend treated me like that, I would no longer consider them a friend.
    I'm afraid I wouldn't keep my mouth shut in that situation, I wouldn't be rude and abrasive but would tell them my thoughts.
    I would say, "if a maniac came through the front doors of this library would you want me to have a pistol to protect you or let them just stroll in and shoot you?"
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I would say, "if a maniac came through the front doors of this library would you want me to have a pistol to protect you or let them just stroll in and shoot you?"

IMO............BEST COMEBACK YET!!!!

"if a maniac came through the front doors of this library would you want me to have a pistol to protect you or let them just stroll in and shoot you?"
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I'm dealing with very similar thoughts and ideas among my colleagues. It's a pity that they can't differentiate between an illness of the mind and heart and a tool. Just to check my facts, I called some friends who are martial arts instructors and asked what common weapons they fear most. Without fail the answers included a baseball bat and a large knife.

I guess we'll have to ban baseball and cooking, too....

Lima...chin up. Sounds like you're already trying to be the more character-filled person.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Those of us who are "sheepdogs" are likely always feared by those who are not....

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

This was a great great read. I have been looking for an article that expresses why I carry and this is one of the best ones that I have read. Thank you for tht article, it helped me express the reason why I carry all the time. Thank you again

Limatunes I love reading your posts. They have lots of info and you always have a good reason for your posts. It really stinks that all of the sheep out there think that cops will make it all better. It will take one bad thing to happen to them or close to their family member to realize that cops are not always there.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I'm not you Limatunes, so my reaction isn't necessarily of any use.
    I'm hardwired to not deal with fools, some people can and some people sometimes can, I just don't. I couldn't see myself being a hostage negotiator or a counsellor, I would tell them to hurry up and make a decision.
    This woman (from how I read the situation) was being a fool, she was being passive-aggresive which to me is a step on the toes, it didn't hurt me or endanger me but was a warning that this person isn't on my side when push comes to shove. I can now chose to shove or retreat. I would retreat. Let her come to you and make amends but don't feed the situation.
    She might say she's sorry, she might not, I wouldn't really mind either way.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links