Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too.

This is a discussion on Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by falcon1 Those of us who are "sheepdogs" are likely always feared by those who are not.... http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm Kinda long but a good ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Those of us who are "sheepdogs" are likely always feared by those who are not....

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
    Kinda long but a good read. I passed the link to some friends. Thanks for including in you post. Oh Yeah - I agree with him too.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    Someone posted earlier that they were glad they were a guy. I have to lean that way on this one. I don't envy your position. Being of the lady persuasion, you have a much harder road to travel.
    But also, being the lady that she is, she can have a more profound effect on the anti's.

They see us as knuckle dragging redneck neanderthals.

Now they have to try to reconcile that view with Lima. Gonna' be hard.

Lima - you said something about being an Ambasador. You may not be able to cause them to do a 180, but you can slowly turn them toward the light.

Keep the faith. Whether we like it or not, we are ALL Ambasadors - for good or otherwise.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

pax
    Limatunes ~

What a stinky story! I'm sorry that happened to you. Never feels good to be at the receiving end for that kind of thing...

In similar situations, I have learned to blink, look surprised and a bit hurt, and say, "Are you calling me a murderer?"

Key is to sound surprised and hurt, but not accusatory ... and then shut up. Let them dig themselves back out of the hole they just dug for themselves. (Sometimes the attempts are very amusing, in retrospect. Rarely funny at the time though ...)

Most people simply don't realize how incredibly offensive & rude that kind of "joke" is. By sounding surprised & hurt, and asking directly, you can force them to think through what they have said and what it means. And sometimes a good conversation can result.

Hope your next meeting goes better. Sorry this one was so rough.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I've been in the same situation, although the comment was targeted at my interest in knives rather than guns. You're right, it sucks. Just remember that you're the one in the right here, not them.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    They: "Oh boy, here comes the 'gun girl' . . ."

You: "Yes, 'Here comes the "gun girl"' . . . Oh I'm sorry; am I supposed to be ashamed?"

Let 'em know you're PROUD, and they'll wonder how and why you are able to be -- it'll befuddle them and they'll probably avoid the subject altogether in the future.

Just have confidence. It messes with minds. They just can't fathom confident people who are empowered, especially those who are empowered with a defensive firearm.

Hey Limatunes,
    Thanks for sharing your story. I think what you said here brilliantly points out how those sheep are so wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by Limatunes
    None of them knows that I carry, and they certainly don't know that while they were speaking of the evils of guns and how much they wished all of them would be banned and how they wished that everyone caught with a gun would instantly get five years in prison, there was a gun within three feet of them the entire time. And while they were making fun of me and my "gun girl" ways, I was armed. While she sat in front of me and asked me if I needed an intervention, my gun was behind my right hip, not hurting anyone. They probably passed by at least two people last night (myself included) who had guns and no one was hurt because of it, but they'll go on in their ignorant bliss and we'll stay silently out of their way.
    Good luck with this! We stand behind you!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    If someone makes a "cracK" about me shooting them, I always jump on them, asking them openly why they would say that and if I have given them reason to fear me to call the police right now, generally embarasses them to no end. As for this horrible incident. I point out that VT bragged about making themselves a gun free zone, failed to deal properly with this person and now is trying to cover their butts so they don't get sued (I sure hope they get ripped apart in your court system) Now that it is shown that the killer was not supposed to be able to get a gun, you can also say, why put in place more laws, when they can't even enforce the ones they have.

How about "if you ever make another comment like that in the future I am going to double tap your a**!!!"

Then agian maybe not.

But I have to agree with others. You are being way to elusive in your email. Its like someone who is about to say something uncomfortable saying "with all do respect" over and over again.

You need to make her feel a little uncomfortable. Someone above said you should turn the PC around on her. Make her feel bad about acting in a NON PC way. What she said to you is as bad as someone saying "ni&&er" to an African American. Make her know that is how you feel about it.

She will be horified to have her comments compared in that light and rightfully so. She will forever remember the time she put her foot in her BIG mouth.

Heck if I was you I might even send her a link to this thread. Show her you offended enough to discuss it in a public forum. Just look at the title of your thread. Whether you realise it or not you were deeply and personally hurt by this. That is not right!

Lima,
    Thanks for sharing this with us. From reading your posts, I'm sure you'll make the right choices in how you will handle this. If it was me, I'd be hard pressed to be nice to her, though.

Falcon1,
    Many thanks for the link. I printed the article for my wife to read. I think she wonders about me sometimes, but she's been very supportive of my quest to get a CCH permit. The article should help explain how I feel.

me
    Ok Pissed off post time.....

I had the dean of student life come over to talk me at work today. He was very professional and I am thankful for his support of me but pissed off nevertheless because of why he did.

Somebody heard me talking either infavor of Campus concealed carry or telling a young lady who is going to the range with me tomorrow that I have a .45 lined up like she asked. They called him and told him they were afraid I had a gun on campus. He, from earlier discussions of the holster and mag i bought at the gun show, knows I have left my fire arms at home and assured them of that. BUT I AM PISSED. This person is scared because I may have a gun here? WHY, I dont even have much of a temper anymore. This person in my view compaired me to this killer and I am pissed.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    . At times she was venomous in her tirade...
    Aye, lots of venom up here I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    This person in my view compaired me to this killer and I am pissed.
    That's the fatal flaw in the "anti" argument: gun + person = potential killer, GG or not. Welcome to the real world of concealed carry, where the world is divided into two groups of people: those who can follow a rational argument, and those who cannot.

Kudos to the Dean for being on his toes, though. Whatever else is true, he just wanted to ensure nothing was about to happen there ... flawed thinking or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's the fatal flaw in the "anti" argument: gun + person = potential killer, GG or not. Welcome to the real world of concealed carry, where the world is divided into two groups of people: those who can follow a rational argument, and those who cannot.
    Good Lord isn't that the truth!

Thanks for sharing your story Lima, I guess I am lucky in that most of the people I talk to seem to be on the same page as me, "birds of feather flock together" I guess.

My standard responses when I am questioned by those who don't understand and fear guns are.

"I take personal responsibility for my own safety, why don't you?"
    "You do understand that the police have absolutely no obligation to protect you right?"
    "Hey guess what the average response time to 9-1-1 call is...enough time to die"
    "I know you don't understand and fear guns... and that's ok, but to assume I carry a gun to hurt people is like me saying your going to kill 15 people in a ten car pile up tonight on your way home because you have a drivers license"

Regardless of the gun debate, I would be (and am by proxy) incensed about being compared to a insane mass murderer. I would approach it simply by saying.

"This has nothing to do with gun control. Your comments at our last meeting compared me to a insane mass murderer and I don't know what else to be but insulted. Can you tell me why I shouldn't be insulted by such a crass and tactless comment?"

But that's just me, best of luck!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links