Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too. - Page 6

Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too.

This is a discussion on Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes Throughout the years when ANYONE, who is not familiar to guns themselves, finds out that I shoot, or sees one of ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Getting compared to a killer could make you a little blue, too.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Throughout the years when ANYONE, who is not familiar to guns themselves, finds out that I shoot, or sees one of my targets or comes over and sees a gun, almost ALWAYS, the first thing that comes out of their mouth is, "Remind me not to piss you off."
    I get that one from other shooters all the time. Usually the ones who recognise the spare 3-1/2" magnum buck loads sitting by the HD gun, or who read the notes on the silhouette I shot at 100yds with it.

You should send her some CCW literature and a complimentary copy of your new book, "How not to piss off armed people."

Quote Originally Posted by DizTbone View Post
    Lima...chin up. Sounds like you're already trying to be the more character-filled person. Michael

+1 Great advice has already been given. Hang in there!
    The way that a person responds reflects the quality of their character.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Lima, I think you were wise not to send the e-mail for the exact reasons you gave.

Actually, an invitation for a cup of coffee permits a conversation, rather than a onesided objection. The advantage of a conversation is that it can evolve in different directions, giving you options in what angle to take.

The other advantage of an invitation for coffee or lunch is that it can be construed as an olive branch. Real friends know how to forgive and forget (which is why I disagree with others who advocate ditching her).

"She picked up one of the books, showed it to the group and said, "Oh my God, LOOK at this. See what she is looking at?" She then sat in front of me and said in a joking manner, "Are we going to have to have an intervention? Are you stable and feeling okay? You aren't going to go crazy on us now are you?"

What struck me most about this incident was the invasion of privacy by snatching your book and displaying it to the group, and the emphasis that her remarks added, more than what she said.

If she was truly joking, she was also shooting from the hip, and I don't think too much weight should be put on her remarks except for what they reveal about her attitudes. Remember, she did not know you were armed.

I think the first issue to deal with is her lack of respect in the way she treated you (I think it is unrealistic to expect her to respect your views on guns at this point). This approach leads you easily to discussion of gun ownership issues.

Perhaps you can change some minds, or at least moderate extremest viewpoints and generate some respect for your opinions.

Just a different point of view.

C
    Seeking Knowledge, Hoping for Wisdom

Too many people have a myopic view of the world and their surroundings. When it comes to my firearm, I pretty much keep it to myself as well as my carrying of it as well as my passion for firearms. Those I do converse with about firearms are close and personal friends or those which I have come into contact with at the range or local firearms store or gun show.

This is why it's called "Concealed Carry", the rest of the world is not adept enough to grasp the concept of defensive preparedness on an individual basis. I've had several associates obtain their CCW as well as join the NRA and other organizations...ONLY THROUGH THEIR INITIATED CONVERSATIONS. I keep my firearms, political and religious opinions and practices to myself and I and the world seem to be a much better place for it.

As Lt. Col Grossman's article stated: there are sheep, we are sheepdogs with a warrior spirit and the path we take is a solemn and lonely one. Take comfort and solace in those that walk the same path, wear the same concealed battle armor and are cut from the same cloth. We will always make sheep nervous and wolves apprehensive.

Despite my futile efforts I attempt to maintain an appearance of a sheepdog in sheep's clothing until the wolves come sniffing around. It also keeps the wolves guessing and off balance which is to my advantage even more so.

Peace.
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

Oh, to be educated and more enlightened than everyone else. Were the doors wide enough for those folks to get their heads in? Hang in there, "write" don't make "right"..;-)
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

people quite often use jokes as a way to say what they really want to say... but hoping that will keep them from getting in trouble over it.

Given what you had to say about the groups feelings towards guns, i think it's safe to say that they strongly dislike the fact that you are into guns. I think the lady purposely said it to you because that's how she feels. I think she wanted to be rude and thoughtless to you, but pass it off as a joke.

I think you should send the email if you already haven't.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's the fatal flaw in the "anti" argument: gun + person = potential killer, GG or not. Welcome to the real world of concealed carry, where the world is divided into two groups of people: those who can follow a rational argument, and those who cannot.

Kudos to the Dean for being on his toes, though. Whatever else is true, he just wanted to ensure nothing was about to happen there ... flawed thinking or not.
    Um, I need an explanation.

If the person who was approached by the dean WAS carrying a gun, and DID intend to harm innocent people there at the campus, what actions of the dean "ensure[d]" that nothing was about to happen there? I mean, apart from getting the word of someone who, if he was really planning a rampage, would have just lied?

me
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Um, I need an explanation.

If the person who was approached by the dean WAS carrying a gun, and DID intend to harm innocent people there at the campus, what actions of the dean "ensure[d]" that nothing was about to happen there? I mean, apart from getting the word of someone who, if he was really planning a rampage, would have just lied?
    True but if my dean had gotten the report about anyone but me he probably would have done a "random" room inspection or brought the police in on it. HOWEVER, the report was about ME and he and I had discussed it earlier this semester when I asked about keeping a holster and NIB mag on campus. when Asked to remove them I did. The only reason he broached it this way is that he trusts and respects me as I do him. I am at a small (1000 person ish) college where he and I know each other not only by face but also by name.

That is why he handled it as he did.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links