Students for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Students for concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mikeb In Indiana it is legal to carry on campuses, but it'll get you expelled if the wrong person finds out. Mikeb, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Students for concealed carry

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    In Indiana it is legal to carry on campuses, but it'll get you expelled if the wrong person finds out.
    Mikeb,

I don't understand that. If it is legal to carry on campus, then how can you possibly be expelled for carrying? Am I missing something in your post? If I was admiited to practice in Indiana, and that happened, I would love to take that case as a service to the Carry Community.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Mikeb,

I don't understand that. If it is legal to carry on campus, then how can you possibly be expelled for carrying? Am I missing something in your post? If I was admiited to practice in Indiana, and that happened, I would love to take that case as a service to the Carry Community.

Ron

it may be legal but it's against university policy and you can be expelled. I know that's the case in MN.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't understand that. If it is legal to carry on campus, then how can you possibly be expelled for carrying? Am I missing something in your post?
    You can get expelled for lots of things that aren't illegal. Plagiarism and cheating aren't illegal, but if you get caught doing either, the university can certainly expel you. Think of it like carrying at work: even if it's not illegal, you employer can fire you if you carry in violation of company policy.

Makes me glad I live in a state which specifically prohibits state universities from disciplining students who carry.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    You can get expelled for lots of things that aren't illegal. Plagiarism and cheating aren't illegal, but if you get caught doing either, the university can certainly expel you. Think of it like carrying at work: even if it's not illegal, you employer can fire you if you carry in violation of company policy.

Makes me glad I live in a state which specifically prohibits state universities from disciplining students who carry.
    I understand what you are saying, but Plagerism and cheating, although not "illegal" are clearly improper, by any reaonable standard. However, although I don't like it, I suppose your point is valid without legislation prohibiting the University from establishing such a policy.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

im in michigan. according to the law i am allowed to carry on campus but not in classrooms or dorms. (which might as well mean you cant carry on campus. how often am i there but never go into a classroom?)
    anyways. my university has its own rules about guns. that being pretty much no guns anywhere. im pretty sure this was the same case at virginia tech.

I was told the legislation has just been proposed (if not introduced) to allow Carry on Campus in South Carolina. Not found any confirmation of it. Its not particularly strictly illegal as it is now at Colleges and University's. It is for K-12. As it is now, it allows University's to ban it and allows local Authorities to decide whether or not to allow it. The proposed legislation, supposedly, will pre-empt them from doing so. It will cover State supported facilities only I believe, not private colleges. It perhap also will remove the strictly forbiden status at lower grades K-12. In that case they are specificaly forbiden from carry in K-12's.

Remains to be seen how it will go and what form it will take. But it is a step in the right direction.

I am still waiting on Texas.

Hopefully there will be that one moment when the senate approves it so I can yell out the window, "Aw RIGHT, SCORE for Texas!"

(for those of you who have heard that BK radio commercial, you know what I am talking about).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links