Fred Thompson on VPI shooting

This is a discussion on Fred Thompson on VPI shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this on a hunting forum: Signs of Intelligence? 4/20/2007 Fred Dalton Thompson http://www.abcradio.com/blog.asp?id=15663 One of the things that's got to be going through ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fred Thompson on VPI shooting

Fred Thompson on VPI shooting

I saw this on a hunting forum:

Signs of Intelligence?
    4/20/2007
    Fred Dalton Thompson

http://www.abcradio.com/blog.asp?id=15663

One of the things that's got to be going through a lot of peoples' minds now is how one man with two handguns, that he had to reload time and time again, could go from classroom to classroom on the Virginia Tech campus without being stopped. Much of the answer can be found in policies put in place by the university itself.

Virginia, like 39 other states, allows citizens with training and legal permits to carry concealed weapons. That means that Virginians regularly sit in movie theaters and eat in restaurants among armed citizens. They walk, joke and rub shoulders everyday with people who responsibly carry firearms -- and are far safer than they would be in San Francisco, Oakland, Detroit, Chicago, New York City, or Washington, D.C., where such permits are difficult or impossible to obtain.

The statistics are clear. Communities that recognize and grant Second Amendment rights to responsible adults have a significantly lower incidence of violent crime than those that do not. More to the point, incarcerated criminals tell criminologists that they consider local gun laws when they decide what sort of crime they will commit, and where they will do so.

Still, there are a lot of people who are just offended by the notion that people can carry guns around. They view everybody, or at least many of us, as potential murderers prevented only by the lack of a convenient weapon. Virginia Tech administrators overrode Virginia state law and threatened to expel or fire anybody who brings a weapon onto campus.

In recent years, however, armed Americans -- not on-duty police officers -- have successfully prevented a number of attempted mass murders. Evidence from Israel, where many teachers have weapons and have stopped serious terror attacks, has been documented. Supporting, though contrary, evidence from Great Britain, where strict gun controls have led to violent crime rates far higher than ours, is also common knowledge.

So Virginians asked their legislators to change the university's "concealed carry" policy to exempt people 21 years of age or older who have passed background checks and taken training classes. The university, however, lobbied against that bill, and a top administrator subsequently praised the legislature for blocking the measure.

The logic behind this attitude baffles me, but I suspect it has to do with a basic difference in worldviews. Some people think that power should exist only at the top, and everybody else should rely on "the authorities" for protection.

Despite such attitudes, average Americans have always made up the front line against crime. Through programs like Neighborhood Watch and Amber Alert, we are stopping and catching criminals daily. Normal people tackled "shoe bomber" Richard Reid as he was trying to blow up an airliner. It was a truck driver who found the D.C. snipers. Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that civilians use firearms to prevent at least a half million crimes annually.

When people capable of performing acts of heroism are discouraged or denied the opportunity, our society is all the poorer. And from the selfless examples of the passengers on Flight 93 on 9/11 to Virginia Tech professor Liviu Librescu, a Holocaust survivor who sacrificed himself to save his students earlier this week, we know what extraordinary acts of heroism ordinary citizens are capable of.

Many other universities have been swayed by an anti-gun, anti-self defense ideology. I respect their right to hold those views, but I challenge their decision to deny Americans the right to protect themselves on their campuses -- and then proudly advertise that fact to any and all.

Whenever I've seen one of those "Gun-free Zone" signs, especially outside of a school filled with our youngest and most vulnerable citizens, I've always wondered exactly who these signs are directed at. Obviously, they don't mean much to the sort of man who murdered 32 people just a few days ago.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    great article, thanks for posting
    He's right on the money!
    I'm truly thankful that as I type this at work (shhhh, don't tell my boss) that if a threat came in the door it would be met with adequate self-defense.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Wow. I admire his intelligent, concise description of the problem. I hope he becomes our next President.

I hope he becomes our next President.
    You, me & a whole lot of others!

How could any conservative American NOT vote for him.

He's what this country desperately needs, especially right now.

PLEASE spread his name to everyone you know and let's keep our fingers crossed he decides to again offer his services to our great nation.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    Virginia, like 39 other states, allows citizens with training and legal permits to carry concealed weapons.
    Isn't it so nice that Fred agrees that states should *allow* citizens to carry weapons?

Communities that recognize and grant Second Amendment rights
    Yeah, it's great that Communities *grant* second amendment rights. And all this time I thought it was the "Constitution" that did it. Silly me.

Sorry, doesn't sound like much of a true 2A supporter. Where "People" shall have not have their rights infringed! He wants it licensed and controlled. Sounds like an infringement to me.

And another note. How many pro-2A bills did Mr. Thompson write, sponsor, or co-sponsor the entire time he was a senator?

Tough words... Where's the action?

Thanks!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gregma View Post
    Isn't it so nice that Fred agrees that states should *allow* citizens to carry weapons?

Yeah, it's great that Communities *grant* second amendment rights. And all this time I thought it was the "Constitution" that did it. Silly me.

Sorry, doesn't sound like much of a true 2A supporter. Where "People" shall have not have their rights infringed! He wants it licensed and controlled. Sounds like an infringement to me.

And another note. How many pro-2A bills did Mr. Thompson write, sponsor, or co-sponsor the entire time he was a senator?

Tough words... Where's the action?

Thanks!
    Greg
    We're not talking about a Libertarian here, but a conservative Republican. Everything I've read about Mr. Thompson solidifies my resolve to vote for him, should he run.

You're skeptical because he didn't come out and say "we should abolish all background checks and licensing for carrying a pistol". That would be ludicrous for a politician to say. For a man who is most likely going to announce a candicacy for President soon, his words are very risky politically.

The gun ban crowd seeks to kill gun rights by a thousand cuts - Mr. Thompson knows that gun rights must be healed one cut at a time.

Nitpicking like this is going to hand deliver the Oval Office to Hillary Clinton.

Nice, although we have been able to carry in Detroit for around 6yrs now.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    gregma,

I think you need to give him a little bit of a break here. Look at his record for yourself:
    http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Fred_Thompson.htm
    http://projects.washingtonpost.com/c...mbers/t000457/
    http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...mpsons-record/

this one is really funny:
    http://www.imao.us/archives/007449.html

I know I don't agree with him on all the issues, but when it comes to the SecondA, I do. (just as I don't agree with all the issues with Bush)

Also, is ANY other potential presidential candidate saying ANYTHING remotely as pro gun as him?

Guiliani? NO
    McCain? NO
    Tommy Thompson? NO
    Romney? NO
    Hillary? don't make me gag......
    Obama? NO

Should I continue?. So far he's the only one totally on our side of this issue. If there is a better one let me know...so I too, can support him.
    Last edited by goawayfarm; April 20th, 2007 at 02:50 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

First post here, so hello to everyone!

Just wanted to add that my idea ticket would be Fred Thompson and Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    I will admit to "favorite son" bias, but if Fred Thompson runs for the presidency, he will certainly have my support.

Fred is my guy

I have researched the candidates out there, and Fred Thompson is definitely my guy. He has common sense, which seems to be lacking in the others.

I would vote for Fred Thompson any time. this is a man who uses common sense. I hope that he decides to run for president.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I couldn't get the cnn link to work, but the second one was great! Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links