When is a conceal carry gun not reliable to carry?

When is a conceal carry gun not reliable to carry?

This is a discussion on When is a conceal carry gun not reliable to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; </script>1"> On another gun forum I frequent there is a position that has been taken that ( after proper break in ) if a gun ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: When is a conceal carry gun not reliable to carry?

Arrow When is a conceal carry gun not reliable to carry?

</script>1">
    On another gun forum I frequent there is a position that has been taken that ( after proper break in ) if a gun ever fails it is no longer safe to carry for self defense.
    I, on the other hand, am not quite so absolute as to throw away my conceal carry with perhaps a rare failure on rare occasion.
    What is the consensus on this site, what would be an acceptable rate of failure ( if any )?

Distinguished Member Array Nakyak's Avatar
    I disagree with the position taken on the other gun forum. Things break, fix them and move on.

VIP Member
    When an ambulance breaks down they repair it. Why would a gun be any different? Both are counted on to save lives.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Distinguished Member
    Upstate NY in the highlands of the foothills
    Anything mechanical can fail.

Failure how? Failure to feed? Eject? Spring failure? Slide falling off?

With a pistol i a feed or eject error might be the ammunition; so a single event would not necessarily mean a firearm had to be disposed of.

But there would be a good cleaning, perhaps a change of ammo, and then 200 or so round evaluation before I trusted it again to make sure it was just happenstance.
    Charlie P.

Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along. -- Terry Pratchett
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5

Quote Originally Posted by Tribb View Post
    </script>1">
    On another gun forum I frequent there is a position that has been taken that ( after proper break in ) if a gun ever fails it is no longer safe to carry for self defense.
    I, on the other hand, am not quite so absolute as to throw away my conceal carry with perhaps a rare failure on rare occasion.
    What is the consensus on this site, what would be an acceptable rate of failure ( if any )?
    I'm a hardliner on that issue.

I fix and carry on with life when it comes to car, motorcycle, toaster, squeaky door, etc. But when it comes to firearms for protection I
    simply replace it and let the shop get the fix going. I also abandon that brand. I've had to do it twice: I won't mention the brands of
    firearm because it will derail this thread into a "I've had those all my life with no problems" flame thread, etc. ;)

But I don't fool around with failure of a gun to shoot. It's gone. Out of owning 13 different manufacturers of guns over years, only two have
    failed on me. Not bad.
    BenGoodLuck, jmf552 and dmitchsr like this.

Well you should KNOW how to handle a malfunction with your weapon.
    Just because it shoots a 1000 times in a row w/o an issue doesn't guarantee that it wont malfunction on 1001.

Learn your carry piece and how it operates so you can confidently clear a malfunction should one occur.

No gun is perfect and they do malfunction.

Now one that consistently has issues and does so with multiple brands/types of ammo well that another issue.

I Live For Myself and I Answer to No One.

Your best chances against mechanical failure may be a revolver. Less rounds per load though. I'm comfortable with what I have. I had one problem and feel it was more the ammo I was using so I changed that and all is well in Mudville....
    Tribb and BenGoodLuck like this.
    To all my brothers and sisters who have served in uniform...
    ...Welcome Home...

Retired USAF Medic (SMSgt)

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    If a carry guns fails, the gun should get a new owner who knows how to handle a gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Anything mechanical can fail.

Failure how? Failure to feed? Eject? Spring failure? Slide falling off?

With a pistol i a feed or eject error might be the ammunition; so a single event would not necessarily mean a firearm had to be disposed of.

But there would be a good cleaning, perhaps a change of ammo, and then 200 or so round evaluation before I trusted it again to make sure it was just happenstance.

All the above, failure for any reason.
    But having said that let me qualify this with the condition that when in carry form only where the gun is clean and only using tried and true defensive ammo.

VIP Member
    First, make sure the firearm is in working condition and clean. Then make sure you are using a proper grip and technique. If the firearm is not functioning properly, determine what the issue is and get the issue fixed. If it still doesn't function properly or you are not comfortable using it, replace it with a gun with which you are comfortable and that works reliably.
    ScrambledGregs likes this.
    Ben

CANT: Carry Always, Never Tell

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If a carry guns fails, the gun should get a new owner who knows how to handle a gun.
    Nah. I understand the sentiment, as I've seen some limp-writing here and there with the guy or gal blaming the gun.

But a stove pipe is not about handling, my friend. ;)

VIP Member
    Yesterday, my son's truck bled out all of its brake fluid, leaving him with no brakes. It's in the shop today being fixed, and he'll drive it again.

Big ticket items shouldn't be disposable when they break.
    MAJOkie and deadguy like this.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    You Can Also Find Me On Personal Defense Forum Dot Com

Anything mechanical CAN malfunction. Even stuff that lives depend on. Learn to adapt/clear/restore to working order if possible. Get fixed and continue. No one trash cans a plane or vehicle that malfunctions.. why then a gun?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by friscospade View Post
    Nah. I understand the sentiment, as I've seen some limp-writing here and there with the guy or gal blaming the gun.

But a stove pipe is not about handling, my friend. ;)
    Indeed it can be.
    RolandD, OD*, Ianthin and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yesterday, my son's truck bled out all of its brake fluid, leaving him with no brakes. It's in the shop today being fixed, and he'll drive it again.

Big ticket items shouldn't be disposable when they break.
    When it comes to firearms I steer clear of analogies to other items, such as broken brakes on a truck or whatever.

Guns are in a catagory all to themselves, to me. No comparison at all. We can draw those comparisons, as anti-gunners try
    to do by talking about how this or that stat regarding gun deaths/injuries etc compare to this or that stat with highway
    collisions and so forth. I find that not valid at all.

I don't have the ability to talk about all this as if they're similar to cars and so on. I just go with how I feel, which is
    HARD LINE when it comes to my EDC. HARD LINE. No compromise. And no, I don't discard it, I just talk it over with
    the shop, if it is fixable I sell it to them and move on.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links