Gunman Reported at NASA's Johnson Space Center

This is a discussion on Gunman Reported at NASA's Johnson Space Center within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As reported by ABCNews.com: Gunman Reported at NASA's Johnson Space Center No Confirmation of Shots Fired; Building 44 Evacuated April 20, 2007— Police are responding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunman Reported at NASA's Johnson Space Center

Exclamation Gunman Reported at NASA's Johnson Space Center

As reported by ABCNews.com:

Gunman Reported at NASA's Johnson Space Center
    No Confirmation of Shots Fired; Building 44 Evacuated

April 20, 2007— Police are responding to reports of a person with a weapon inside a building on NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

NASA's James Hartfield says an initial report was made about a man with a handgun at Building 44, an antenna and communications building, at 2:40 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

The Houston Police Department is on the scene and the building has been evacuated.

According to police department's public affairs office, the Houston police are working with NASA police to investigate a report from someone who "heard what appears to be a gunshot."

A first search of the building produced no evidence of a gunman.

There is no confirmation that any shots have been fired.

Building 44 is one block west of Mission Control.

The report can be found at; http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3061668

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I just saw a report that NASA is advising Employees stay put.

What is wrong with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Shawn Hannity is now reporting that shots have been fired, as of 1509 CDT.

CNN is also confirming shots fired as told by NASA.
    4:18P EST

The person is an employee with a .44 revolver who has barricaded himself within the building.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Clear Lake school district has locked down the schools in the area for fear the man may be "on the loose"
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Just finished talking to my husband over the phone.

My husband and many friends work at JSC. Matter of fact, my husband Jonathan works on the first floor of the building in question, Building 44. Shots were fired on the second floor, but he only heard about that after he was evacuated. This is a pretty old concrete and asbestos building, so I think it's possible not to hear shots... most cellphone calls don't go through either when you are in the building. Anyway, they say the gunman's name is Bill Phillips (no relation); he's a guy who usually keeps to himself, but talk was he was acting more anti-social than usual. My husband actually made a off-hand comment about him yesterday being next, a shooter that is. So surreal.

Anyway, Jonathan wants to come home, but no one can get to their car right now (next to the building). He and his group did a headcount and no one in his department is unaccounted for thankfully. But there are a few other departments in that building. Hope everyone else is okay too.

Let me guess, NASA is a "Gun-Free Zone" too.

Yes, it is.

Also two people are currently unaccounted for, one is a manager. So we are thinking they are his hostages. :( Godspeed to them.

EDIT: Just found out the guy killed his manager and then himself. A secretary was taped up, but unhurt.
    Last edited by wendywc; April 20th, 2007 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post

It was very distinctly pointed out on the front page byline on CNN's story before it was last updated that NASA officials have a no-gun policy on the grounds.

Figures...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    [sarcasm]I can't imagine how this would happen. Guns aren't allowed there. [/sarcasm]
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    It was very distinctly pointed out on the front page byline on CNN's story before it was last updated that NASA officials have a no-gun policy on the grounds.

Figures...
    yep. All NASA facilities (including the one I work on) are "zero-tolerance gun-free" zones. Not that it would be hard to sneak in whatever you want, especially if you work there.

I'm seriously considering trying to put together a group of co-workers who want this ridiculous rule changed.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Don't know why this would be a surprise. NASA is a Federal (independent) agency...... So, like every other Federal facility there are no firearms allowed. GSFC in Maryland used 9/11 as a partial excuse to close the Goddard Gun Club's on site shooting range down to "improve" security and keep weapons off site.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Don't know why this would be a surprise. NASA is a Federal (independent) agency...... So, like every other Federal facility there are no firearms allowed. GSFC in Maryland used 9/11 as a partial excuse to close the Goddard Gun Club's on site shooting range down to "improve" security and keep weapons off site.

rstickle,
    Do the Security Officers at GSFC still carry a single S&W mag in a double pouch (with one pouch empty)? I never could figure that out. Back around 1999, they switched from .38 revolvers to S&W 9mm's. They issued them double mag pouches for their duty belt, but only one spare mag. Go figure!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    rstickle,
    Do the Security Officers at GSFC still carry a single S&W mag in a double pouch (with one pouch empty)? I never could figure that out. Back around 1999, they switched from .38 revolvers to S&W 9mm's. They issued them double mag pouches for their duty belt, but only one spare mag. Go figure!
    Gonzo
    Cost-saving measure--they got a good deal on the pouches, but didn't buy the extra magazine?

Lead Moderator

Slightly in shock!!

First...... When they released the name of the "Hostage" killed at JSC it kind of stopped me cold. Dave Beverly (assuming there is only one in NASA) used to work at Goddard. We worked on the Earth Observing System (EOS) satellites together for over 10 years during their development. I didn't know he'd transfered to JSC. Assuming the same guy, NASA has lost a talented engineer. I guess right now I'm sort of in denial hoping there is a second Dave Beverly at JSC, but I doubt it........

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    rstickle,
    Gonzo
    Sadly some mornings I see the guards at the gate I use with both empty mag pouches AND empty HOLSTERS! That's really confidence building. Since I do like working there, I won't really comment on what I think, especially having worked in/with security when I was EOD.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links