Let's pretend... - Page 4

Let's pretend...

This is a discussion on Let's pretend... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yea I say none of that is good. 1. Brady Background Checks at Gun Shows (to include private sales) - I dont see any reason ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Yea I say none of that is good.

1. Brady Background Checks at Gun Shows (to include private sales) - I dont see any reason to do this. It is just more trouble. Most private sales are totally legitimate.

2. Strengthening the National Instant Criminal Background Check system (NICS) - How much more stregthening does it need? What is wrong with it now?

3. Child Proof Handguns - Um that has already been done. Its called using a gun lock (like a cable or trigger lock) or use a safe. I dont need more built in locks on my firearms.

4. Assault weapons ban - Where is the logic behind this? There is no proof that the Clinton ban on high cap mags made one iota of difference.

The thing is because of a few evil criminals, legal gun owning, law abiding citizens have to have restrictions? As Spock would say: "Illogical, Captain."

More need to be done to keep guns out of a criminals hands yes, but imposing restrictions on the good guys ...thats's us by the way...is NOT the option we need. Take away guns from the law abiding citizens just ensures the criminals will have them. They always will...that is a fact.
    Best,
    JP
    D/FW, TX

rodc13...I have readily admitted that I was "steering" the conversation towards God (not religion). As a believer everything I think, say and do should be tainted w/God. Any thorough discussion of basic "God given" rights should include the God who gave them, just as the writers of the Constitution saw fit to do as well.

HOWEVER, the point of my previous post was to state that for the sake of this thread and to respect the rules of this forum, I would no longer do what comes naturally.

There are some excellent points being made, so lets continue the discussion gentlemen. God bless, HOLYROLLER.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    I went to the Brady campaign site and read about the legislation they would currently like to pass;

1. Brady Background Checks at Gun Shows (to include private sales)
    2. Strengthening the National Instant Criminal Background Check system (NICS)
    3. Child Proof Handguns
    4. Assault weapons ban

I KNOW that this will not be a popular opinion, but none of these laws sound so terrible. Am I missing some fine print or something? #1-I am not a criminal-no problem, #2-Again, I am not a criminal, #3-Im all for safety's, #4-Im OK with 10 round mags for pistols/rifles. Granted, I am not that well schooled in the finer points of gun legislation, but I dont believe I would strongly oppose these rules if they were in place. Be gentle....
    Admittedly, I used to think the same thing. I also thought, "Hey, it didn't really apply to me, anyways." The problem is, anti-gunners will disguise themselves as anything (Look at the misleading names of some groups). Since they can't do a clean sweep & outlaw guns, they do it slowly.
    1. I thought anyone selling a gun at a gun show has to have a background check done. If it's a private sale, I thought it had to be done through a FFL anyways. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought that's why "the gun show loophole" is BS.
    2. How is it being strengthened. This one, I might not mind, if it's for making the system more efficient & work better. I doubt that's what they have in mind, but I don't know enough about this, yet.
    3. This is kind of scary. They've talking about "smartguns" for years, paticularly about using it for LE so that an Officer can't get shot by his own weapon. But continual testing has shown that it doesn't work consistently & end up getting the Officer killed because it won't let him/her fire the weapon. Hey, keep it in a safe if it's not on you, but I believe this can't be done with anywhere near 100% reliability.
    4. Wow, why? The problem is, assault weapons are not being used for the most part. There have been some exceptions, but that also depending on the interpretation of WHAT an assault weapon is. That can literally end up being all multiple shot capable semi-auto rifles. I can also see that turning into not allowing some hunting rifles, because the Military/LE uses them for their snipers.

Someone earlier said it well, I believe. If you give them an inch, they'll push to take alot more than that.

Someone not that interested or knowledgable about 2A rights regardings guns, might thing many of us are being inflexable. But, if you look at countries around us, & not 3rd world ones, either, their gun rights were whittled away to...literally nothing (Australia, Canada, & England, come to mind).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

OD*
    "When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils." Luke 11:21-22:
    "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.... Luke 22:36
    Jesus upheld the right of His disciples to carry a weapon and held them responsible for their proper use.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

A few points:
    1) If you are a deconstructionist ("there are no absolutes,my interpretatiuon is as good as yours") , you have no basis for any law. Other than, "He that has the Power, Rules." First and foremost,the 2nd Amendment is about controlling your government. The UN strongly supports the Brady position. The UN has stated that defense of life is not a Human Right. Hard to read much else, there.

2)NCIS is registration(in this context). If NCIS is run, as requested by an FFL, you have purchased a gun. Period. If applied to all sales, it will be much easier to tax, restrict, confiscate, then abolish privately owned arms. This is how it happened in Britain and Australia. Only an unthinking fool can try to argue that position- it flies in the face of fact.

3) "Child safety". 34 young adults just died because of commonly accepted "child safety" indoctrination. People die when they do foolish things, or act in ways for which they are not prepared. You are responsible for your safety. You cannot legislate it. If one wishes to, the best example is Stalinist Russia. No one did anything "unsafe" for the group. They enjoyed it. Papa Joe, Bless the Motherland!

4)AWB- Go spend 2 weeks in south Texas. Take a trip to Nuevo Laredo. Tell me who you think needs "Assault Weapons", since LE sure as hell can't contain things. "Things" are coming north, BTW..... I'm not being sarcastic. Take the time. Get an education. My dad lives down there.

Bottom line- freedom rests on Individual, not Communal responsibility. "Freedom" is not possible,in any other social model.

OD*
    "There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." ÖAyn Rand
    .................................................. .......................
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Holy roller I think you don't see the whole picture. The agenda of the antis is to take guns out of the hands of law abideing people period. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    rodc13...I have readily admitted that I was "steering" the conversation towards God (not religion). As a believer everything I think, say and do should be tainted w/God.
    This statement has made my mind up to completely bow out of this discussion and as far as that goes any by the poster . IMHO its entirely inappropriate for THIS forum . I am sure there are many boards for discussions of god and religon , but i choose not to subscribe to them either . I have no problem with anyones religon or lack there of , but i choose not to support the off topic shinola here on this board . Like discussing politics it can lead to no good other than if narrowly discussed with Concealed Carry or Gun Rights in mind .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    This statement has made my mind up to completely bow out of this discussion and as far as that goes any by the poster . IMHO its entirely inappropriate for THIS forum . I am sure there are many boards for discussions of god and religon , but i choose not to subscribe to them either . I have no problem with anyones religon or lack there of , but i choose not to support the off topic shinola here on this board . Like discussing politics it can lead to no good other than if narrowly discussed with Concealed Carry or Gun Rights in mind .
    I am quite pissed right now. The quoting of scripture on this forum angers me to no end. This is not the place for religious discussions. And I am too easily sucked into a fight.

I had planned out an attack and had mentally begun attacking when I read Redneck's post. His view on this discussion mirrors mine so I am going to follow Redneck up the high road and quiet my demons.

I will also not be participating in any other discussions by this poster.

Redneck, thank you for keeping it cool and getting me back on track.

Deep breath.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Redneck Repairs...sorry to hear that. I have been as honest as I know how and it was my sincere belief that this was a discussion of politics, constitutuion / amendment interpretation and all of the implications that come with it.

If you cant stand to view the posts of a Christian from a Christian point of view, so be it. I will continue to read your posts and learn from them. God bless, HOLYROLLER.

Assistant Administrator
    Guys - things are getting fragile and we have had a broad selection of opinion. Thx to all who contributed.

I think we'll leave it there rather than let things slide into unwanted territory or flames. It is all emotive material that's for sure, but yes, we do wish to keep religious aspects minimal on this forum, as it all too easily gets outa hand.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links