Wife got pulled over while carrying today...

This is a discussion on Wife got pulled over while carrying today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter That was a good refreshing story. +1, especially after a week of such depressing news!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife got pulled over while carrying today...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That was a good refreshing story.
    +1, especially after a week of such depressing news!

2. Remove Ads

I've been pulled over before and in Texas we are required to inform the officer that we have a CHL. I handed my license & CHL to him and he asked me where it was. I told him and he told me to leave it there and then we discussed why I was pulled over (expired inspection sticker - long story). In the end, he told me to get it inspected ASAP and let me go. He didn't bother to run my DL as he knew I was one of the good guys. I'm glad I contribute to the local FOP and survivors fund of LEO and FFs.

Assistant Administrator
    Nice one Mike - almost missed this thread.

Yes I too read into it that your lady wife was being courteous by unloading to show a clear and safe gun - to let the guy's interest be satisfied - and so too he could more easily inspect and handle it.

I have to admit - almost without thinking - most times if someone wants to see my piece I will unload and clear almost instinctively. Just now and again if I show a feature only then I'll probably keep hold and remind that it is loaded (well every gun is always loaded!).

Refreshing read - thanks.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

In Missouri you are NOT required to declare you are "packing" when you are pulled over, however you MUST declare "you are packing" when asked by any LEO. Also in Missouri, you may choose to have your CCW endorsement printed on your Drivers License or on the State Issued ID card.

I choose not to have my CCW endorsement on my Drivers License because many stores and places require a DL for ID when cashing a check, and I don't want everybody who see's my DL for check cashing know I'm a CCW holder. (If for some chance I accidentally ventured into a store posted NO FIREARMS because I didn't see the sign, why advertise when at the cash register?)

Regardless of if your endorsement is stamped on your drivers license or on the state issued ID card, the DMV will show that the registered owner is a CCW holder valid until such and such date, when any officer runs your license plate in a car stop.

So the LEO knows at the very least, that the registered owner of that car is a CCW holder when he approaches the car.

I have found that LEO's are quite courteous and professional whenever they encounter CCW holders on the job. They know what the deal is and who the good guys and gals are.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    It is a nice story right up until the part where she had to disarm! For What Purpose? .... ....
    The purpose doesn't matter in Ohio. Ohio law allows them to request this, and we are required to comply.

Good positive contact story, thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

I see no harm, no foul in LEO asking anyone with a loaded weapon to disarm and unload during a traffic stop. Officer safety is paramount and since I walked in those shoes for many years, I have no problem with it at all.

If an officer stops someone with a CHL, he knows right off the bat that the person has qualified with a handgun, has passed training and a background check, etc.

What the officer does not know is the person's state of mind.

- Did the person just have a fight at home?

- Did the person just get fired from a job and is really mad at the world ?

- Did the person just break up with their significant other and contemplating suicidal thoughts?

- if any of the examples above are happening with the person, would getting a traffic ticket be the final straw that would cause them to snap ?

Just a couple of examples of why an officer asking someone to disarm is clearly in the best interest of the officer and his safety.

Just because someone has a CHL does not mean that they are 'automatically' all right and pose no threat to a law enforcement officer.

Once again, it all reverts to the officer's discretion, or what his department policy calls for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    I understood it that way too, but disarming/unloading/reloading/rearming on the side of the road in a traffic stop (where she or anyone would be a bit nerves) to see how cool the gun she is carrying is to me, stupid and unnecessary. Unless I am doing something very wrong other than just a traffic ticket infraction I don't like the idea.

However, I am glad the stop went well, there is something about show and tell on the side of the road I don't like. If she had said no to the officer (like I would have) she would have probably gotten a ticket, I am sure she felt some what obligated though, after all she was speeding.
    Agreed 100%

I would be nervous about removing my sidearm muchless unloading and reloading with no safe backstop...hell I try to avoid unloading and reloading even when I'm home where I do have a safe backstop (dirt pile). Nevermind sitting on the side of the road exposed to passing traffic flow danger as Johnny Law fondles my sidearm. Go to the gun shop they have tons behind glass. Just give me my ticket or waive me through and be done with it. He knew as soon as she handed over her permit that he was going to let her walk. The rest was unnecessarilly dangerous exposure for himself and the person he pulled over. What if she had nerves which is reasonable upon being pulled over, and she while attempting to disarm and empty her sidearm had an ND? Then what? And what if that ND were into and through her car? Who is then liable for the damages? Would she be in her right to sue for damages due to the unreasonable and unnecessary request from the officer? What would his supervisor and town think of the request?

Just give me my ticket or waive me through, thank you.
    No lawful permitted civilian is carrying on their hip anything a LEO can't get access to oggle over at their local gun shop or even from a fellow officer.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Hey, great story! Good job on emailing the sheriff; I'm sure the deputy appreciates it. Behavior like that deserves to be rewarded - hopefully the deputy gets a raise out of it. :-)

Great story but it happens the other way too often. Steve48

Senior Moderator
    Very good story. So nice to see people (not just LEOs but them too) responding positively to concealed carry!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed 100%

I would be nervous about removing my sidearm muchless unloading and reloading with no safe backstop...hell I try to avoid unloading and reloading even when I'm home where I do have a safe backstop (dirt pile). Nevermind sitting on the side of the road exposed to passing traffic flow danger as Johnny Law fondles my sidearm. Go to the gun shop they have tons behind glass. Just give me my ticket or waive me through and be done with it. He knew as soon as she handed over her permit that he was going to let her walk. The rest was unnecessarilly dangerous exposure for himself and the person he pulled over. What if she had nerves which is reasonable upon being pulled over, and she while attempting to disarm and empty her sidearm had an ND? Then what? And what if that ND were into and through her car? Who is then liable for the damages? Would she be in her right to sue for damages due to the unreasonable and unnecessary request from the officer? What would his supervisor and town think of the request?

Just give me my ticket or waive me through, thank you.
    No lawful permitted civilian is carrying on their hip anything a LEO can't get access to oggle over at their local gun shop or even from a fellow officer.

- Janq
    That is ridiculous. An officer is in far more danger standing by the side of the road than he is observing a trained CHL-holder unload a firearm. And if there was an ND it would be pretty obvious who was at fault.

Why are you so worried about guns? It isn't that hard to unload/reload a gun; you just keep your damn finger off the trigger. No need to worry about dirt backstops - just make sure you are pointing it in a safe direction, drop the mag, pull the slide back, check to make sure it is clear and voila! You are all done.

If you are as nervous around guns as you make it sound, I question your ability to carry a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    That is ridiculous. An officer is in far more danger standing by the side of the road than he is observing a trained CHL-holder unload a firearm. And if there was an ND it would be pretty obvious who was at fault.

Why are you so worried about guns? It isn't that hard to unload/reload a gun; you just keep your damn finger off the trigger. No need to worry about dirt backstops - just make sure you are pointing it in a safe direction, drop the mag, pull the slide back, check to make sure it is clear and voila! You are all done.

If you are as nervous around guns as you make it sound, I question your ability to carry a firearm.
    Thats exactly what I said...the officer and the person pulled over is in real danger being on the side of the road.
    Keep the exposure to a minimum as the gun show chit-chat is completely unnecessary.

I'm not at all worried about guns.
    What I am worried about is inattentiveness, and nerves. It happens to everyone. Thank you for the instructional on how to unload/load a firearm but I'm very much aware of this and have been doing so for decades. Oh, and BTW my first and only ND was guess what...while unloading my sidearm and being stressed which resulted in inattentiveness and then BOOM!...followed by a really long silence. It happens or will happen to us all, even the best and safest of us.

I'm not at all nervous around guns.
    But very many _other_ poeple are and they aren't all as experienced.
    Further I am though nervous around police and for good reason as are many other people.
    Nerves + firearms + tight spaces/seatbelt + unfamiliar conditons = Possibility of "Boom!....followed by a really long silence"

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well, I suppose personal experiences give each of us a different opinion about things, so I understand where you are coming from in regards to unloading/reloading, but it seemed you were being unneccessarily harsh on the police officer. I personally would welcome a conversation of that sort with LEO if I was in the same circumstances, and wouldn't feel uncomforable at all with his decision. I don't think he made an inappropriate decision, based on what I heard, plus we have to remember he made that decision based on what he observed of Missus Sig P239's demeanor. I'm sure he could tell if she was overly nervous.

Janq/Ti

In the state of Tennessee when an LEO takes possession of your drivers license you are considered under apprehension. You must obey his instructions, directions, commands or whatever. Makes no difference how you feel, if he asks with friendly chit-chat or demands authoritatively to see something, ya gotta comply.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

INTJ,

I'm not saying not to comply, of course one should comply.
    My issue is with the request itself by the officer, not the compliance by the OPs wife upon being pulled over.
    The officers request is unsafe for both, irrelevant to the reason for the stop and knowledge that the operator is properly licensed/permitted, and wholly unnecessary.

If an officer wants to oggle a given model sidearm and talk shop toward it's functionality et. al then thats fine, at a gun shop/gun show.
    There is a time and a place for everything and at the side of the road during a traffic stop is neither in this sort of scenario.

- Janq

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links