Wife got pulled over while carrying today...

This is a discussion on Wife got pulled over while carrying today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I get a call at work from my wife and she tells me that her HCP got her out of a speeding ticket today. (She ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife got pulled over while carrying today...

Wife got pulled over while carrying today...

I get a call at work from my wife and she tells me that her HCP got her out of a speeding ticket today. (She has a bit of a lead foot)

She was tooling on down the interstate at about 78mph and a Shelby County S.O. car pulls her over. He walks up to the passenger side window and asks her to produce her drivers license and proof of insurance. When she open up her purse and takes them out he catches sight of her carry permit. He asks to see it, then when he makes sure that it is not expired asks if she has the gun on her. She says yes and that it is on her right hip. He asks her to see it. She lifts her cover garment and un-holsters (he asked her to) and unloads the gun, an XD .40sc and hands it to him with the action open.

He admired the gun, said he liked the grip and asked her how she shoots with it. They talked about her gun and what he carris on duty for a bit, then, he gave her the XD back, gave her her HCP, DL and insurance card back and told her he knew she was one of the "good guys", that he was glad to see her carrying, that he wished more people would carry too and to slow down and be careful. Then said goodbye!

Now, that is one heck of a good traffic stop if you ask me! She got his name and we have already emailed the Sheriff and told him of the professionalism of his Deputy.

You have to love the LEOs that know that more guns carried by private citizens is a great thing!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Glad that it worked out, and I think your followups to the sherriff are really great. Too few people take time to let the BOSS know how the employees are doing a GOOD job.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

You Guys Took The Extra Step On Making Sure The Sheriffs Office Gets To Recognize The Guys That Do The Job In A Profetional And Courteous Way!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Administrator
    That was a good refreshing story.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You did good sending an email. All too often people will only contact them with complaints. An "atta boy" never hurts anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    You did good sending an email. All too often people will only contact them with complaints. An "atta boy" never hurts anyone.
    Ditto....classy move on your part Sig.
    Which reminded me to send an "atta boy" to Pop Guns for the excellent service I received when I was in Indy in February...been busy with work and it slipped my mind...shame on me!
    Last edited by BushidoMarine; April 21st, 2007 at 06:57 AM.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Yes, "atta boy's" are great.
    Just be sure not to add "and I'm so greatful the nice officer didn't give me a ticket." One word here---profiling. The partner I ride with is much less likely to give a ticket to someone that is probably a straight up law abiding (except for that silly speed limit sign) responsible citizen. And getting your CCW gives him that impression. I educated my partner and some others in our department when Ohio got there CCW and later updated the carry protical for inside a vehicle.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    It is always nice when a LEO does the catch and release, of a solid citizen. A follow up is a great idea, any pat on the back from the populous is appreciated.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Good story. I know you realy appreciated the Officer being professional with your wife. I hope his department gets word to him of the "atta boy" He might even be a member of the forum, if not tell him about it.

Great story & i too think a good idea to give an "atta boy", its nice to hear of a friendly LEO as we have so many over excited & "iam the man" attitudes around here......

Nice Ending...

No ticket...no major expense.

I like the 'catch and release' term!

It's nice to know that the CCW refers to 'the good guys'...we know that the Brady's don't think that way...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It is a nice story right up until the part where she had to disarm! For What Purpose? It is much safer in the holster where it should have stayed and a traffic violation is no reason to have an otherwise law abiding citizen disarm in a vehicle on the side of the road. I just don't agree with an officer disarming me without cause or if I was doing something else wrong just to see what I carried or wanting to fondle my weapon.

I know SIXTWO, you will have a comment about what I am saying. But regardless of what you might say in defense of this, my argument stands!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    It is a nice story right up until the part where she had to disarm! For What Purpose? It is much safer in the holster where it should have stayed and a traffic violation is no reason to have an otherwise law abiding citizen disarm in a vehicle on the side of the road. I just don't agree with an officer disarming me without cause or if I was doing something else wrong just to see what I carried or wanting to fondle my weapon.

I know SIXTWO, you will have a comment about what I am saying. But regardless of what you might say in defense of this, my argument stands!

Ti
    I got the impression the officer just wanted to check out the gun to see how it handled since he asked how well she shot with it. Sort of a "hey cool gun, can I see?" If it were a demand to disarm I doubt he woud've let her unload it first before handing it over, more likely he would've had her set it on the dashbaord, car seat, etc. in plain sight.

Always enjoy reading about positive interactions with LEOs. Most I've met have been really good, common sense folks but there are, unfortunately, a few Rambos with badges out there.

Of course you know, that stop would've gone even smoother had she been packin' a .45 instead of that "short and weak." (j/k) Good job to both of you.
    Jack

When she called me and told me about the stop I had much the same reaction. I wanted to know why he felt he needed to disarm her but she says it wasn't like that. He just wanted to see the gun because he had never held an XD before. He asked her to unload it.

It wasn't so much an order for her to take the gun out and hand it to him as he was asking to see the gun because he had never held an XD before.

She says he was by far the nicest and most professional officer she has ever been pulled over by. And she has been pulled over by a few LEOs. Like I said, she has a bit of a lead foot.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    I got the impression the officer just wanted to check out the gun to see how it handled since he asked how well she shot with it. Sort of a "hey cool gun, can I see?" If it were a demand to disarm I doubt he woud've let her unload it first before handing it over, more likely he would've had her set it on the dashbaord, car seat, etc. in plain sight.

Always enjoy reading about positive interactions with LEOs. Most I've met have been really good, common sense folks but there are, unfortunately, a few Rambos with badges out there.

Of course you know, that stop would've gone even smoother had she been packin' a .45 instead of that "short and weak." (j/k) Good job to both of you.
    Jack

I understood it that way too, but disarming/unloading/reloading/rearming on the side of the road in a traffic stop (where she or anyone would be a bit nerves) to see how cool the gun she is carrying is to me, stupid and unnecessary. Unless I am doing something very wrong other than just a traffic ticket infraction I don't like the idea.

However, I am glad the stop went well, there is something about show and tell on the side of the road I don't like. If she had said no to the officer (like I would have) she would have probably gotten a ticket, I am sure she felt some what obligated though, after all she was speeding.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links