English Paper some folks might like

This is a discussion on English Paper some folks might like within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had to read Plato's Allegory of the cave and draw references between a chosen group of people and the prisoners restrained inside of the ...

Thread: English Paper some folks might like

English Paper some folks might like

We had to read Plato's Allegory of the cave and draw references between a chosen group of people and the prisoners restrained inside of the cave. I chose College Students, Staff and the Illusion of Campus Saftey as mine chosen group. I thought some of you here might like it.

Cliff notes of the Allegory of the cave, as the paper doesn't make much sense without the background. Cave with prisoners that have been there from birth changed so they can't move, forced to watch dancing shadows on the wall in front of them, unable to move their head. Become to know the shadows and the lessons of the shadows of the truth, if one escapes, sees the light and the real world, goes back to free the others, he's caught and killed, with the thought it is better to not know the truth and continue to live without change.

They are Strange Prisoners: College Students, Staff, and The Illusion of Campus Safety

Crime is going down, the criminals are being taken off the streets, and you can walk downtown at night without being mugged. Has anybody ever heard these statements before? Police officers, campus officials, and even college students often say them. Although statistics show this to be true in some areas, we are currently in what can be described as a crisis situation in this country regarding college campuses.

You may ask yourself "what crisis?" There is no yellow crime tape around campus, no metal detectors inside of our buildings, no soldiers on patrol, and rarely do we see the campus police. Unfortunately, that is the crisis. Students, on the whole, are completely oblivious to their surroundings. Last week while driving my truck (which weighs about five thousand pounds) on Clifton Avenue, no less than a dozen students walked out in front of me without even looking at traffic. My truck does not stop easily due to it's weight, and the students got angry when I sounded my horn to alert them to the danger they put themselves in. There is no way these same people are capable of being aware enough of their surroundings to stay out of harms way, if it is possible.

Campus Administration is equally as clueless. The Student Code of Conduct, set forth by the University of Cincinnati, forbids the possession, or storage, of anything that could be used to harm or threaten. Ironically, these are also the only things that students have to defend themselves, and can be interpreted to be anything from a pen, to a pair of
    scissors, or fingernail clippers with a file on them, all the way up to our cars, a baseball bat, or a firearm. Our state legislation is no better.

In the light of recent and past tragedies, one can't help but ask the 'what if' questions that always follow such an incident. What if police were already on campus, what if the HIPPA act didn't make it impossible for a mental institution to confirm a person's stay there to the government, what if the students had any choice but to run and jump out of second story windows? What if their campus was safe? Is ours?

The students, faculty, and staff are all strange prisoners, much like the prisoners described in Plato's 'The Allegory of the Cave'. We are continually told not to fight back, to run, and that we will face reprimands from the University, and possibly from the law depending upon the situation for violating their sacred student code of conduct. We are chained to posts unable to move as long as we stay at their institution, forced to watch the shadows dancing puppet masters projected by the dancing flames of a fire. In the darkness, and unable to see anything except for what is in front of us, we eventually start to believe that what we see is the only way, and begin to follow and accept it as the truth.

On the whole, students, staff, and faculty are clueless about their surroundings, and are probably unaware that they are actually the people in chains, instead of the puppet masters. Walking out into traffic without looking, they have complete faith that the unknown driver of the vehicle will stop and let them get onto campus 10 seconds faster. Who is around them, what is going on, and why things are happening are all a list of things your average student is completely oblivious to. The employees of the University are no better off, as they exhibit the same sheepish behavior, all of us following each other without knowing who's leading us, or where we are being lead to.

The true puppet masters are those who write the rules and laws of the land, our administration, and occasionally the state legislature. Although often times they have good intentions, what is currently on the books is dangerous to the student population. Weapons, and anything that could potentially cause harm, is forbidden in student possession or in storage on campus. The administration does not want to talk about this, as the author has tried since approximately late February to talk about this topic yet can never get anything more than one or two emails, no returned phone calls, and people that are always in appointments when contact was attempted regarding student safety (with the notable exception of Mr. Cummins, the director of Judicial Affairs). Although I can understand the logic they try to use to make weapons forbidden, I also see a greater danger to forbid them than it is to allow them.

Those who have crawled out of the cave and seen the light, occasionally go back into the cave in an attempt to enlighten others. People who have trained in some aspect of martial arts are viewed in either respect or fear, ROTC students get the same treatment, as do students who train to use other tools in defense of themselves, everything from knives, to sticks, to firearms. All too often, those of us who train in some sort of self-defense are put under a blanket of fear and misunderstanding by our fellow students, as well as others, and are rarely given a chance to voice our opinions, our views, or why we train in the first place. We are snuffed out, sometimes socially, but nearly always politically, especially on a University campus.

In light of all the tragic loss of life that has occurred in the United States and abroad, from the mass shootings at Virginia Tech of 32 innocent victims, to the terrorist attack on a school in Belsan, Russia where 373 lives were lost and over 700 wounded, and even from Luby's diner in Killeen, Texas where 23 people were ruthlessly killed by an unemployed merchant seamen (including the parents of a Texas state representative) we have only been told one thing, especially to young people in college: we need more gun laws. The puppet masters are very convincing, especially considering the track record of this action that proves more legislation to be ineffective. The Texas representative, by the way, is a strong supporter of concealed handgun laws, which are proven to be extremely effective.

The fact is that every single murder in America was not prevented by legislation. More legislation will not prevent crime, it never has, and in it's 30+year reign in the area of gun control, things have only gotten worse. A criminal, by execution of his profession, breaks the law. The law-abiding citizen, by definition, obeys the law. Just like illegal drugs have done for decades, guns will continue to be brought in by the black market, and sold and traded without regard for the law, with a strong clientele in the illicit drug arena. Drugs proliferated my high school, to the point it was easier for students to purchase heroin, oxycontin, cocaine, speed, and marijuana than it was to purchase cigarettes or beer. Guns are on the streets with the same amount of availability and in the hands not of teenagers, but those of hardened criminals.

When Ohio passed the concealed handgun legislation in 2004, the followers of Sarah Brady - and what I like to refer to as sheeple - screamed about how the streets and the parking lots would run red with blood, as they have in every other state. The same thing happened this March when some revisions were made to the current law. It hasn't happened, nor will it happen. It hasn't happened in any state either, but rather, all 40 states with concealed handgun licenses to be issued have seen a drop in the crime rate. That's fine...but what about our campuses?

Ohio law prohibits concealed handgun license holders from carrying their firearms on University property, but will allow the storage inside of their unattended vehicle. University policy also forbids carrying on their property. Reports from local media have stated that 3 of the students died during the shootings at Virginia Tech were concealed handgun license holders, disarmed in accordance to Virginia Tech's policy against firearms. Imagine how many more lives would have been spared if even one of those students ignored the policy, risked expulsion, and intervened. I guess what Plato said is still true today, "if any one tried to loose another and lead him up to the light, let them only catch the offender, and they would put him to death."

2. Remove Ads

Good read if only people would listen

Excellent paper indeed.

Nice paper, I remember reading Plato's Allegory of the Cave 2 semesters ago. I hated that class, philosophy was one of the main things that always got on my nerves.

But imaginary numbers are still #1 on my most despised list.

Assistant Administrator
    All the valid points we know so well - expressed clearly. And yet - ''they'' will gloss over such rational logic and still operate at gut emotion level - with a large mix of pure control thrown in.

Same old menu they use - but sure wish this type of writing would be read and assimilated. I'll keep on dreaming.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just submitted it to UC's magazine they publish. I'll also be submitting all 5 pages in hard copy to the NewsRecord on Monday, the campus's independant news paper.

Slight modification to the intro though:

We had to read Plato's Allegory of the cave and draw references between a chosen group of people and the prisoners restrained inside of the cave in my English 102 class. I chose College Students, Staff and the Illusion of Campus Saftey as my chosen group. I thought some of you here might like it, some of you may think it's in horrible taste, but the fact of the matter is the topic is something that our own campus did not want to discuss with a student prior to the massacre at Virginia Tech, and are unlikely to discuss it after. Some people may not be anywhere near the healing stage, and think it's in horrible taste, but I believe that is the perfect time for discussion, when it is fresh on everybody's minds, and while we still vividly remember what the concequences of idleness are.

It's my life and saftey on the line, just like everybody elses. I want a meeting with them. This is not a time for political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Reports from local media have stated that 3 of the students died during the shootings at Virginia Tech were concealed handgun license holders, disarmed in accordance to Virginia Tech's policy against firearms.

Is this true? I haven't heard this yet. If so this would make an excellent case in itself to allow students to carry on campus.
    What gun would Jesus Carry?

Still looking to confirm it outside of the local media. We all know how they twist the truth and are all experts on every subject.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

VIP Member
    Jesus! If that info is confirmed and the parents get mad enough..... I don't even want to imagine the lawsuit coming down!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Went to submit it for publishing Monday, got met with "we don't usually publish articles from students" as I was handing it over, prior to them even reading it. That's fine. There's a chance, and it might even inspire one of their staff to actually do an article.

I could always see how much it costs to run a full page add though (no, I can't afford it). I was able to find a small way around it though, the News Record (the paper) has it's own little discussion board. How kind of them.

http://tinyurl.com/yptc45
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Links