Unholstered, Happy Outcome

This is a discussion on Unholstered, Happy Outcome within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While hunting you will find dogs that are used run deer that were not found after the hunt. These dogs usualy are marked or have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unholstered, Happy Outcome

While hunting you will find dogs that are used run deer that were not found after the hunt. These dogs usualy are marked or have collars that have phone numbers on them. If I can catch the dog and return them to the owner I will do so. If I find a dog with no markings or collar I would shoot it due to the fact that it is a danger to wildlife and people.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I was carrying a Mossberg 12 ga and my G19 with a shoulder holster under my coat
    That must be a heck of a coat to get a mossy 12 under LOL .

In all seriousness out here in Ranch country all feral dogs are shot on sight , and personally i shoot feral cats also . The damage done to livestock and game by abandoned/gone wild pets is amazing . Oh and my loose definition of feral is any said critter in the same pasture as my cattle , or found a mile or more from the nearest ranch .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Clearly the rules and expectations are different across the country. Out here if you let your dog wander it is only a matter of when, not if it gets shot. There are always those who insist that thier Fido would never hurt anything. They do not understand basic canine behavior and have not spent enough time with Fido around some chickens or lambs. I've released a few dogs from traps where they had no business being. Mostly on my property. Most people who allow me to trap make it clear that if a dog is on their property and I see it (in trap or not) they expect me to step up and eliminate any future risk from that animal. It is not a blood lust, but a realistic assessment of what canines will do.

I have maintained that the most dangerous animal in the continental U.S. is the feral dog.

I have maintained that the most dangerous animal in the continental U.S. is the feral dog.
    I personaly disagree , putting feral hogs ahead of dogs . Thankfully hogs are pretty much limited to the southern states tho and I dont have to deal with them as a pest LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I'm all for keeping dogs safely penned/leashed/under human supervision, but cats? I can't see a housecat being a threat to anything that could reasonably be called livestock. Not to mention the fact that if you have an outdoor cat, there's no realistic way to keep them penned up.
    Australia has a huge problem with feral cats.

Cats will invade coups and kill or harass the birds. A dead bird can't lay eggs, and a scared one won't either. A friend of mine raises peacocks and pheasants. The cats are as much a nuisance as the muskrats and racoons.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I'm all for keeping dogs safely penned/leashed/under human supervision, but cats? I can't see a housecat being a threat to anything that could reasonably be called livestock. Not to mention the fact that if you have an outdoor cat, there's no realistic way to keep them penned up.
    I agree a cat is NO threat to livestock , howeaver they do affect pheasant , quail , and rabbit populations . As to " outside cats " a cat normaly wont range far from " home " a quarter of a mile is a long ways on a cats range and habits . I do take pains not to kill cared for pets , and will during hunting season and after attempt to catch any dogs , if they will interact they are not feral and lost by hunters . If this is the case then all attempts to live trap the dog go into play to see if we can id the missing human . I dont feel i am " bloodthirsty " for my policys , but if you have a loved pet and take it to ranch country , best to keep it close because if it is close to my cattle( and wont come to me ) i WILL kill it .

Okay, I like to hike and backpack quite a bit, and I am carrying while doing so. If there is a dog, domestic or feral, that is posing a threat to me or mine, that dog is getting shot. It is the responsibility of the owner to maintain control of their animal at all times. If they wish to let their dogs run free then that is fine, just as long as they don't attack me. I used to have a guy that rented a trailer from me who had a pit-bull that he let run free. As long as the guy was home, the dog was fine, but if the guy wasn't home the dog was in protect mode i guess. I told the guy that if the dog ever attacked me I was going to kill it. (I didn't have to, nature took care of it's own. The dog succomed to heartworms :( )

I guess what I'm trying to say is, owners keep your animals safe. If you let your dogs run, and they get in your neighbors livestock, don't come cryin' when he takes care of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    While hunting you will find dogs that are used run deer that were not found after the hunt. These dogs usualy are marked or have collars that have phone numbers on them. If I can catch the dog and return them to the owner I will do so. If I find a dog with no markings or collar I would shoot it due to the fact that it is a danger to wildlife and people.
    That seems like rational, fair, and relatively humane advice. I'll remember that when I get my farm.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    After my wife and I were accosted by a pack of four fearl dogs during a backpacking trip, I have also adopted the ranchers' policy that says the only good feral dog is a dead feral dog.

Lead Moderator
    Never had a coyote or pack give me problems out in the woods. And we have plenty where I camp. Glad everything turned out o.k.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    The attitude that any stray dog can be shot. To me as both a city and country boy, that is a response from someone who just gets his kicks killing things. I have no problem with killing a "wild pack" which is attacking or harrasing livestock, but just to kill a dog because it appears to be stray, is disgusting. There is no excuse for killing a pet which is not bothering livestock.
    Who's to say it's a pet? What's disgusting is how often roaming dogs become feral in their approach to small children, solo walkers, smaller livestock. You haven't lived until you've been confronted by three or four feral dogs that think they have you cornered, like street toughs at the alley entrance.

It's reasonably easy to identify an aggressive dog that's reverted to scouting/scoping behavior of coyotes and wolves, as opposed to a merely inquisitive one. It's obvious when a dog is hunting and not merely wandering about. Wouldn't surprise me that folks with the above attitude (shooting roaming dogs is okay) can easily make the distinction as well and are not merely insensitive snipers of the neighbors' dogs.

I agree. When an obvious pet is in the crosshairs, that's a little cold. That's killing fido, the family member. But, feral is frequently clear. And packs do quickly form in rural areas ... and damage gets done. The instant that begins occurring in an area, it shouldn't be surprising that taking out the risks becomes acceptable. It depends on much.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links