Unholstered, Happy Outcome

This is a discussion on Unholstered, Happy Outcome within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I enjoy hiking, especially at night and part of that was my original desire to acquire my handguns and my concealed permit... Over the weekend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unholstered, Happy Outcome

I enjoy hiking, especially at night and part of that was my original desire to acquire my handguns and my concealed permit...

Over the weekend I was hiking on private property with permission, just after sunset and may I note God's Country where there’s no civilization and plenty of elevation is a sight for city boys....

Anyways, I was carrying a Mossberg 12 ga and my G19 with a shoulder holster under my coat. I hear something; I stop, again and again... I see two sets of eyes and the first animal white and skinny...

Coyotes are common and a nuisance to the local farmers so Im automatically gone to condition RED, no arguing the level here...This was it... The headlamp I use is good for about 15 yards or so on the led setting, so I switch to conventional....Im on a pretty steep slope with about 30 lb of gear... Well I see a black and white dog, the contrasting colors made me feel a little more secure.. By this time i've unholstered and drawing down...Finger still resting on the frame above the trigger.... All those mental rehearsals paid off... I whistle and make acquaintance they wag their tails and accompany me along the way...

So what was learned...

1. I laid the shotgun aside (when I seen more than one set of eyes)no way I was going to kill multiple coyotes IF they didn’t scare.. Handgun was my best bet and more reason to support the right to keep our "scary semi-automatic weapons"

2. With my heart in my throat I never put my finger inside the trigger guard.

3. You can preserve judgment even when you cant see what your threat is, had I been under gunned or been forced to a single shot weapon I may have immediately acted and had to live with the fact that I took someone’s pet prematurely or just been scared half to death. (plese dont grill me over this statement its the truth and many would have done this)

4. Just in case I encountered a larger animal the shotgun made sense and satisfied the next morning for the "Spring Gobblers" ;)

5. Just like my ham radio I packed for the just in case scenario; having the piece of mind to live without fear is like sliced bread.

Well time is precious I do deeply apologize for the choppy sentences, I wish I had more time to write this… Take care Yall!

(end related content, the rest details my hike in general)

Ill keep it short,

Leave at dusk, 2 Miles of VERY steep upland and ½ mile of what we call “cow face” terrain …straight up and down….I took a camelback talon bag and a snugpack sleeping bag along with a surplus military bivy….kept me warm down to about 25 with a wind-chill of single digits… MRE’s are good just watch out for the entries… Ill have to say I didn’t eat much other than the side items… Water wasn’t a problem, I actually took too much….but it did prove useful for dousing the campfire… The dogs actually stayed with me through the night and kept some great company, however I think they ruined my chances of seeing a turkey the next morning… GPS is a must, I went straight to the spot, Next time though ill keep it on my shoulder….the breadcrumb tracks at lesser signal acquisition make a mess and it can be quite confusing. I took my camera and cell phone and my dorky self had to take a ham radio…which wasn’t a bad idea…just in case…
    And I might add those 10 dollar hiking poles are wal-mart are the best things in the world.. Well time is precious I do deeply apologize for the choppy sentences, I wish I had more time to write this… Take care Yall!

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    sounds like you had fun... good job on being prepared and at the ready.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Actually, it's been a long time since I actually heard anyone refer to the animal version. I'm happy that everything turned out well. Also, Out there, in the dark, no one should ever try to blame you had you accidentally misidentified a neighbor's pet. Regardless of the location, keeping your pet under control is your responsibility. Great job.
    Last edited by rocky; April 23rd, 2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: forum violation.

I come from Ranch country, were "stray" dogs are shot on sight.

Working dogs are chained or penned when not working and pets are kept in the house. It irks me to no end when some "City Slicker" moves out to the country and thinks Fido can run around free.

Said "City Slicker" then has the gall to cry and say, "Something must be done about killing dogs." Yet you don't see the real "Country Folks" crying over their lost livestock. They just keep loading more ammo.

Maybe if the "City Folks" would just stay in the city it would be better for all concerned. I'm a "Country Boy" who is temporarily "displaced" to the city. As soon as I retire I'm out of here and back to where a man can pee off his own porch without someone calling the PoPo.

Biker

Yeah, I grew up where the police where hours away and if you actually called in a dog complaint (One new city slicker did once) the police asked if it was on his land. He replied yes. They told him to just shoot it....

Fish and game always asked us to shoot any strays we caught chasing deer or harassing stock. I'm also temporarily stuck in the big city, yuck!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Biker is wrong

The attitude that any stray dog can be shot. sucks big time.

To me as both a city and country boy, that is a response from someone who just gets his kicks killing things. I have no problem with killing a "wild pack" which is attacking or harrasing livestock, but just to kill a dog because it appears to be stray, is disgusting.

When I lived in Arkansas my business partner had 3 dogs who occasionally got lose. A local farmer saw one of them in his pasture with his cows. He didn't even say it was bothering his cows but did tell my friend that if he saw it again he would kill it. My friend was a gun owner and I seriously fear that the result might have ended up as the O.K. Corral.

There is no excuse for killing a pet which is not bothering livestock.

Coyotes are common and a nuisance to the local farmers so Im automatically gone to condition RED
    Actually you went into condition orange, condition red would have been achieved by firing the gun or physically attacking the BG, or BD in this case,
    Glad it all worked out. I am a avid hunter, and even after all the early morning I have spent in the woods they can still be a little spooky when there is no light out.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

There is no excuse for killing a pet which is not bothering livestock
    There is no excuse for letting your pet run loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    What about the propogation of feral dogs? If the dog has a tag, call the owner...if no tag, use your best judgement.

pax
    Puppy ~

The thing is, out in the middle of nowhere, there are really only two possible outcomes for a stray dog:

1) The dog goes feral, packs up with other dogs, and starts killing livestock, or

2) The dog dies a slow, nasty, painful death from starvation and privation.

Shooting the dog is less harmful to human beings than the former, and considerably kinder to the dog than the latter.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    The attitude that any stray dog can be shot. sucks big time.

To me as both a city and country boy, that is a response from someone who just gets his kicks killing things. I have no problem with killing a "wild pack" which is attacking or harrasing livestock, but just to kill a dog because it appears to be stray, is disgusting.

When I lived in Arkansas my business partner had 3 dogs who occasionally got lose. A local farmer saw one of them in his pasture with his cows. He didn't even say it was bothering his cows but did tell my friend that if he saw it again he would kill it. My friend was a gun owner and I seriously fear that the result might have ended up as the O.K. Corral.

I'm a city boy and I love animals but above all else I try to be objective and rational. Stray dog and cats do huge amounts of damage to livestock. If I were farming and my family's financial well being (hey, its already tough running a farm profitably), I'd not let them run loose on my land. Just because I don't see them damaging my cattle yet, thats like hope the guy robbing me won't pull the trigger. I might not know til it's too late. If you love your pets, protect them by keeping them under control.

Getting into a gunfight over some dogs is idiotic. I hope your friend has a good lawyer if he would do this. Actually, I hope he doesn't have a good lawyer because he would deserve to rot in prison.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    There is no excuse for letting your pet run loose.

Thank you! Control your pet and we "Country Folk" won't have to shoot it. My attitude comes, not from lusting to kill anything that moves, as you insinuate, puppy, but rather from hating to find a mutilated carcass of a beef product that was going to be sold for profit.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; April 23rd, 2007 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Stray dog and cats do huge amounts of damage to livestock.
    I'm all for keeping dogs safely penned/leashed/under human supervision, but cats? I can't see a housecat being a threat to anything that could reasonably be called livestock. Not to mention the fact that if you have an outdoor cat, there's no realistic way to keep them penned up.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Puppy ~

The thing is, out in the middle of nowhere, there are really only two possible outcomes for a stray dog:

1) The dog goes feral, packs up with other dogs, and starts killing livestock, or

2) The dog dies a slow, nasty, painful death from starvation and privation.

Shooting the dog is less harmful to human beings than the former, and considerably kinder to the dog than the latter.

pax

Thank you pax for that reply. It made perfect sense and was very well written. I love your site by the way.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I'm all for keeping dogs safely penned/leashed/under human supervision, but cats? I can't see a housecat being a threat to anything that could reasonably be called livestock. Not to mention the fact that if you have an outdoor cat, there's no realistic way to keep them penned up.
    It is my understanding that cats kill chickens. In my city neighborhood, they love to rip up my planted vegetable garden. I was very surprised when I started a veggie garden a few years ago to lose more plants to cats than to birds.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links