Is your cover garment compromised?

This is a discussion on Is your cover garment compromised? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not changing, Looks like I'm going fishing- one or two dry flies does the trick for me....

View Poll Results: Is it time to change your cover garment due to the VA Tech shooting photos?

Voters
353. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am not changing; I will keep wearing my vest

43 12.18%
  • I am looking for a new cover garment

3 0.85%
  • I do not use a vest as a cover garment, this incident does not effect how I carry concealed

300 84.99%
  • The mall ninja look hot this season, I am getting a vest

7 1.98%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is your cover garment compromised?

I'm not changing, Looks like I'm going fishing-
    one or two dry flies does the trick for me.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Out here on the Kansas Plains, a vest or fanny pack would look out of place. They would just scream "I bet he's got a gun".
    That or "I bet he's from the West Coast".
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

VIP Member
    I use Scott eVests....very tough garments.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I wont change. I've been wearing vests of some sort since I was 17 and long befgore I got my CCW. I am asked if I am a photogapher or a fisherman all the time and I say yes to both. I do not wear any Tactical vest, specially 5.11 since they are not confortable enough for everyday use. The vest is my "purse": Walllet, checkbook, light, cellphone, pens, PDA, etc goes in my vest, I carry nothing in my pants pockets but a bandana, multitool & knife.
    Ditto...........I'm always asked if I'm going fishing or a photog..........The people I run into regularly think something is wrong if I DON'T have a vest on. I had one guy say he thought he saw me one day..until he realized the person DIDN'T have a vest on.......so he knew it wasn't me.

I have at 10 different ones....some are 5.11, Woolrich & Filson....even in different colors (black, OD,khaki). I even have one my son-in-law sent me from Iraq, he traded for it from a British soldier. In all the years I've worn them NOBODY has asked me if I carry.

here is just 4 of them:
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

"Mall ninja" style cover garments are as effective as they've ever been: not very, as they mark one as a potentially carrying, potentially a threat. Concealed should mean exactly that. Better tactics. The element of surprise. The ability to go under the radar. Can't see changing to something that compromises all of that, now, no matter how the winds blow.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I very seldom wear a vest as a cover garmet.

When I do, it's because the temp is too warm for a jacket and too cold for just a shirt. I do have one "Tacticool" vest but I wear it at matches only.

T-Shirts, Polo Shirts and Button Down Shirts work just fine for me in regards to CCW.

Biker

My work requires a tucked in shirt, no jacket. I like a fast draw so I am not going to use a tuckable holster or any other rig that makes me remove, untuck, or un zip my clothing. So I am stuck with an IWB or OWB holster under a vest for work. It works great and only gun people know. If a BG was to notice my vest, maybe he will move on to another target.

I use a long untucked, unbottoned cover shirt on the weekends but the wind will always show your gun off from time to time like it or not.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Polo shirts, man-bag, Chore coat... no vests here.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGeringer View Post
    I wouldnt be caught dead in one of those vests, both for fear of being made as a CCWer and a victim of poor taste.
    +1000

There is a good reason why I bought a tuckable holster. So I can dress in slacks and sport shirts and look neat, tucked in, and presentable.

Unless I am just mucking around the house or the neighborhood, I always tuck my shirts in and wear a belt.

With practice, drawing from under a tucked shirt is not nearly as slow as some make it out to be.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Out here on the Kansas Plains, a vest or fanny pack would look out of place. They would just scream "I bet he's got a gun".
    That or "I bet he's from the West Coast".

+1

9 year Wichita resident here.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I never wear the vest anyway, it just screams gun to me, even though I know it doesn't to the sheep. But, if I did wear it, I would not be wearing it at least for now.
    i agree 100% with this whole post

"I do not use a vest as a cover garment, this incident dose not effect how I carry concealed."

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I plum wore OUT two Banana Republic Vests. They do scream gun, which is why I've gone to pocket carry for my M642. However, when the situation requires something more ummmmm SINCERE, I'll wear a 45 IWB with a XXXL 5*11 shirt over top of a tee shirt. Sometimes in really hot weather I'll wear a t-shirt covered by an ultra lightweight silk type shirt in a Hawaiian print. A LOUD print. I have to be careful not to accidentally "flash" when the cover garment is so light, especially on a breezy day.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I pocket carry so it really doesn't affect me. I am sure this has been said, but my prayers go out to the victims families.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I plum wore OUT two Banana Republic Vests. They do scream gun, which is why I've gone to pocket carry for my M642. However, when the situation requires something more ummmmm SINCERE, I'll wear a 45 IWB with a XXXL 5*11 shirt over top of a tee shirt.
    XXXL Only? We both need at least one X more

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Sometimes in really hot weather I'll wear a t-shirt covered by an ultra lightweight silk type shirt in a Hawaiian print. A LOUD print. I have to be careful not to accidentally "flash" when the cover garment is so light, especially on a breezy day.
    Like this whole week down here. I use a pancake and I have to have vest. If some CCWer makes me, no big deal. Everybody else seems to ignore or confuse me with a fisherman.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links