Is your cover garment compromised?

This is a discussion on Is your cover garment compromised? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ELCruisr Cotton button up shirts over a colored tee get the most use from me. That's my choice!...

View Poll Results: Is it time to change your cover garment due to the VA Tech shooting photos?

Voters
353. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am not changing; I will keep wearing my vest

43 12.18%
  • I am looking for a new cover garment

3 0.85%
  • I do not use a vest as a cover garment, this incident does not effect how I carry concealed

300 84.99%
  • The mall ninja look hot this season, I am getting a vest

7 1.98%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is your cover garment compromised?

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Cotton button up shirts over a colored tee get the most use from me.
    That's my choice!

2. Remove Ads

I use either a polo shirt or a camp shirt on top of a t-shirt to cover the gun. La is an open carry state so if it gets blown open or rides up I don't worry too much about it.

I seldom wear a vest...only once in a while...
    Usually I wear a T-shirt with an open print/collared shirt...typical for FL.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wink Speak for yourself....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    XXXL Only? We both need at least one X more

Speak for yourself, pal. I'm a compact XXL in the t-shirt so the 3X is perfect for cover. I'm losing weight, too.

Like this whole week down here. I use a pancake and I have to have vest. If some CCWer makes me, no big deal. Everybody else seems to ignore or confuse me with a fisherman.
    I think you're right, especially here in LA-LA land of South Flori-DUH.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    I use a western style holster vest that doesn't resemble the type vest in the Va shooting.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I don't wear a vest ever. If I need to, I put a jacket on. I usually pocket carry or appendix carry IWB. If I need to, I can tuck my shirt in on both of my 2 IWB holsters.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I use hoodies. Big, bulky, and if I for some reason need the gun handier than in my holster, I can hold it in my pouch.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    I think they are too obvious. But thats because I'm aware of ccw permits. The average person isnt going to notice it..

sixbravo,
    +1 on the hoodies. everyone wears one and so effective that I can't imagine ever needing a vest...especially since I would want one that didn't scream "ccw" or "photographer" or "flyfisher"...Maybe it's just me but I think CCW means inconspicuous and to me that means looking like everyone else NOT an instructional video.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by APBT View Post
    sixbravo,
    +1 on the hoodies. everyone wears one and so effective that I can't imagine ever needing a vest...especially since I would want one that didn't scream "ccw" or "photographer" or "flyfisher"...Maybe it's just me but I think CCW means inconspicuous and to me that means looking like everyone else NOT an instructional video.

Those are my thoughts. But I really can't judge because some people's day-to-day vary pretty wildly. The only problem I've run into with them is the elastic band at the bottom: it has a tendency to catch on the bottom of a holster during a draw. So I began practicing using my off hand to yank the hoodie by the pocket as I draw... Seems to work well.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The only time I wear a vest is on the job and then its carrying the 101 little devices that help in doing wireless engineering.

I am however famous for my loose floppy shirts. I can't find shirts long enough to be comfortable when tucked in.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

VIP Member
    Basically ladies and gents, we dress according to what we carry, our enviroment and our style.

Let me rephrase the original quiestion, if Cho had commited his deed by wearing a long shirt as cover garment, would those wearing shirts be switching to a vest? I doubt it.

As far as I can determine, nobody here wears a cover garment that shouts TACTICAL. Those who wear vests as a regular part of their lifestyles cannot make a sudden switch to other garment without calling attention on themselves the same way like those wearing shirts would call attention if they started to wear vests all of the sudden.

More than the type of garment, my worry is that I wear a garment that will stand to the elements of South Florida. I would love to wear a light shirt, but when it gets windy here my worry is an accidental display of my firearm, specially in liberal bastions like certain areas of Broward County where I work where they would call the cops in a hurry with all kind of wild stories. Miami-Dade is more relaxed in that sense.

Note: We define wind as air moving anywhere from 35 to 70 mph. Anything below is a breeze and anything above might be considered a strong wind or what the experts call a hurricane
    Don't believe me? Ask Ex-Soldier!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

My one and only vest has about twenty pounds of fly fishing gear in it ... made by Orvis too!

Warm weather I wear a wife beater and an untucked, short sleeve, button down collar. Cooler weather I wear colored t-shirts with untucked short or long sleeve button downs. Cold weather usually calls for t-shirts and an untucked flannel shirt - I'm old, broken down and retired so I can wear whatever I want and not worry about "dress codes."
    Jack

When I see a vest like that, I think gun. So, I wouldn't wear one for that reason.

The VA Tech shooting didn't change that opinion of mine one way or the other.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have always dressed in a "noisy" fashion. I have some shirts that the Big Kahuna wouldn't wear.

A T-shirt (usually white) and an open print shirt with blue jeans or shorts and hiking style shoes (the tops come up just over the ankle), or Teva's.

I have always had my own dresscode.

As far as keeping the tails down in the wind, I will put light fishing weights on the tail of the shirt. The shirt may balloon a little in the wind, but usually stays right by my side and not fluttering in the breeze. The added weight also helps trow the shirt away and behind me for faster access to my gun if needed.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links