Is your cover garment compromised?

This is a discussion on Is your cover garment compromised? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It has been a week, by now many regular folks have seen the picture of the Virginia Tech gunman Cho Seung-hui in a khaki vest ...

View Poll Results: Is it time to change your cover garment due to the VA Tech shooting photos?

Voters
353. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am not changing; I will keep wearing my vest

43 12.18%
  • I am looking for a new cover garment

3 0.85%
  • I do not use a vest as a cover garment, this incident does not effect how I carry concealed

300 84.99%
  • The mall ninja look hot this season, I am getting a vest

7 1.98%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your cover garment compromised?

Is your cover garment compromised?

It has been a week, by now many regular folks have seen the picture of the Virginia Tech gunman Cho Seung-hui in a khaki vest with multiple pockets. I know the topic of vests has come up several times and some feel vests scream gun.

I am wondering if anybody here is going to put their 5.11 or whatever brand vest you have in the back of the closet for a while and change your cover garment due to the photo of Seung-hui that is all over the news.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I never wear the vest anyway, it just screams gun to me, even though I know it doesn't to the sheep. But, if I did wear it, I would not be wearing it at least for now.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

In central FL vests are a bit too warm for much of the year. Never owned one. Cotton button up shirts over a colored tee get the most use from me.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The only vest I have is for fishing.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I wouldnt be caught dead in one of those vests, both for fear of being made as a CCWer and a victim of poor taste.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

I wear a tshirt as a cover garment. Close frineds that know I'm carrying can't tell where, so that's comforting.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

VIP Member
    I only wear the vest when I'm on a protective detail and not wearing a suit, and then only sometimes. I figure the earbud, Oakleys, and "head on a swivel" look give me away, anyway...well, that and the M4...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The only vests I ever wore were for skiing and formal/wedding purposes, never for concealment. An untucked, loose polo or an untucked, button-down shirt work fine for me.

I voted "I'm not changing"

I don't wear the vest often, it's a 5.11 in black. The fact that I usually have a camera around my neck when I wear it alters perception. People think I'm an amateur photographer (which I am). I just happen to be an amateur photographer that also carries a firearm.

Very rarely will I wear the vest when I'm not wearing the camera, but I've never really seen anyone give me a second look.

me
    I dont wear the vest either, its a untucjed dress shirt for me, It fits with my afe groups style
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Moderator
    The only vest I'll ever wear for concealed carry is going to be light weight, have some cute pattern on it and strictly for covering my gun only while I wear something lighter and cooler underneath. The "vest" that is being referred to does scream either "gun" or "I'm a fisher who forgot that I just left the pond."

VIP Member
    I usually don't wear a vest as a cover garment; coincidentally enough, I did just yesterday, but the situation called for it; in Tampa's Ybor section, there was a motorcycle gathering over the weekend; I took a couple of cameras and lenses and took a lot of photos. I had several people ask me if I was a reporter for one of the motocycle magazines. I should have said, "yeah, it's called 'CC'."

Underneath the vest was my SIG, a spare mag, flashlight, and badge.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

no vest here. But its nice knowing when I was out eating with some buddies they brought up the VT shootings and someone mentioned I am probably carrying. But they were unsure if I had mine on me or not. Which makes me feel better because they obviously can't tell.

VIP Member
    I wont change. I've been wearing vests of some sort since I was 17 and long befgore I got my CCW. I am asked if I am a photogapher or a fisherman all the time and I say yes to both. I do not wear any Tactical vest, specially 5.11 since they are not confortable enough for everyday use. The vest is my "purse": Walllet, checkbook, light, cellphone, pens, PDA, etc goes in my vest, I carry nothing in my pants pockets but a bandana, multitool & knife.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The only vest I'll ever wear for concealed carry is going to be light weight, have some cute pattern on ."
    Limatune's Cute Tactical Vest
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links