Gun removal efforts of minimal success

This is a discussion on Gun removal efforts of minimal success within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As reported on the front page of my regional sunday newspaper: Gun removal efforts of minimal success Sunday, April 22, 2007 By BUFFY SPENCER bspencer@repub.com ...

Thread: Gun removal efforts of minimal success

As reported on the front page of my regional sunday newspaper:

Sunday, April 22, 2007
    By BUFFY SPENCER
    bspencer@repub.com

The jury is in.

Billboard blitzes, offering rewards, gun buybacks and confidential tip hot lines aren't the way most guns get taken off the streets in Western Massachusetts.

Instead, law enforcement officials say, it takes aggressive prosecution of gun crimes and the use of less-than-lawful snitches with something to gain to make progress in the fight to rid the streets of weapons.

Hampden County District Attorney William M. Bennett knows this from experience. His Project Remove effort, launched in 2000 to curb gun violence, paid out just $2,400 over the course of several years for a total of 11 tips that led police to people with illegal guns.

Holyoke Police Chief Anthony R. Scott contends buyback programs, like one planned Saturday in Springfield and East Longmeadow, simply create a "cottage industry" for guns.

Still, Bennett isn't sorry the Project Remove attempt was initiated. It just turned out that several of the program's initiatives, like the tip hot line and reward fund, got lackluster results. The 24-hour hot line, operated from the State Police barracks in Springfield, has been discontinued.

"The hot line has not really panned out. I found most people who want to get information to the police will call the police directly," Bennett said.

Other parts of Project Remove, though, have made significant progress, according to Bennett, and a new federal grant underscores some of that success.

A $122,000, two-year grant from the U.S. Department of Justice will allow Bennett's office to have a prosecutor assigned full time to U.S. District Court, Springfield, to coordinate gun cases between federal and state courts to ensure the most appropriate - and significant - prosecution.

The goal of this portion of the Project Remove program is to secure the maximum sentences for offenders. For a number of crimes, minimum mandatory sentences in federal court are much higher than in state court...

The full story can be found at; http://www.masslive.com/republican/s...l=1&thispage=1

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; April 23rd, 2007 at 06:33 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Gee, whadya know, the best way to get guns out of the hands of criminals is to PROSECUTE THEM WITH EXISTING GUN LAWS. What a novel idea.

Yeah...Eureka!!!

...Gun buyback programs don't do anything to get guns intended for criminal use off the street, Bennett said. But they do help in his office's efforts to assist law-abiding citizens with illegal guns in their possession in disposing of their firearms without facing criminal liability...

Source - http://www.masslive.com/republican/s...l=1&thispage=4
    Morons.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; April 23rd, 2007 at 06:35 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow...I am sure glad he taugh us something...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Best way to get old beat up guns off the street and make some money. I got some klunkers I want to get rid of.

Sponsored Links