Starting the application process

This is a discussion on Starting the application process within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I just picked up my application for a permit today and i could use any advice you have to give. I tried using ...

Thread: Starting the application process

Hey guys I just picked up my application for a permit today and i could use any advice you have to give. I tried using the search function but "application" is to long of a word to search for so its not really to much of a help.

For some background im 24 years old, living in Rochester NY, and do not own any guns other than a couple air rifles ive had since I was a little kid. I was in boy scouts until i turned 18 and have taken a bunch of gun safety courses/merit badges through them but nothing recently. I definitely want to get into some in the very near future though. Both general safety and CCW. Ive never been arrested, fired, treated for mental illness, or any of the other stuff that would work against me in getting approved. I have a couple questions as im looking over the application.

1. I have to choose one option to apply for. Carry concealed, possess on premises, or possess/carry during employment. The ultimate goal would be for a concealed carry permit but I was under the impression I would have to get a permit to own a handgun before I could consider a CCW permit. Learn to walk before you learn to run. Should I just check "carry concealed" as eventually that would be what I wanted? If I check that and dont get approved would I have to start the whole thing over for a permit to possess on premises?

2. Where can I take classes on firearms safety and CCW? There is a free Home Firearms Safety Course offered by Monroe County once a month that I will take but are there any others on CCW specifically and handguns in general? Im especially interested in the legal side of CCW. When and where you can carry, when to use your weapon and when not to etc. And also, should I take these courses before I submit the application? Id like to get the ball rolling on the application but if it will help me to get a CCW permit id definitely take them before even handing the application in.

3. Could I, and should I, carry while I am at work? Right now im working as a server while im going to school. Nothing in the employee handbook about it, and im not even sure if I would really want to, but i see there is an option for carrying during employment. Would carry concealed umbrella over possess on premises and during employment or is that a separate deal all together. Im kind of on the fence as to whether it would be a good idea to carry while at work or not. I usually have hundreds sometimes thousands of dollars cash on me while I am working and leave with a lot of cash late at night. Ive heard lots of horror storys from other servers about being robbed after leaving work. We have also had to call the police 3 times since i have been working at this place because of people getting drunk and violent, one time ending with a man being stabbed to death in the parking lot. Im usually the last one to leave at night so I feel like im at risk sometimes.

Thanks in advance for any help and input you have!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    First off allow me to say congrats and good luck . I personaly live in the " somewhat free state of colorado " and cannot imagine what you have to go thro in more restrictive states . My advise would be largely moot , but i am shure members from the area will chime inn .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

here's a link that might help:

http://www.packing.org/state/new_york/

IMO, if you're carrying that much cash, you SHOULD be able to defend youself.

p85
    It's been a while since I lived in NY. I had a concealed carry permit when I lived there. You want the carry concealed option. If that is denied, you will be issued the premise permit. (usually) I am not familiar with your county. I was in Jefferson. I can't help with info on classes, but I do believe them to be a valuable resource. In Jefferson county, it took about 6 months to have the permit approved. Long time to wait, but you cannot legally possess a handgun without it. Good luck and keep us posted.
    P85

I live in Rochester too. Well, the 'burbs. Greece. First, let me ask if you live in the city of rochester, or the suburbs?

I can still answer most of what you are asking.

1. You want a carry permit. Thats the "normal"/"standard" permit. Premesis is for like a business owner to keep a gun in a store. You don't want that.

2. They do not require a course but they do ask you about it when they call you. He told me that free course is a lot of the legal aspects of carrying. I did not take it but it sounded good and will be attending even though I have a permit already. I didn't take it because I already took the NRA basic pistol safety class and it sounded like the same thing. After talking to the sheriff, it's not the same. NRA is a lot of safety and gun education as well as the law. I guess the monroe county course is mostly legal stuff. I recommend taking the free one for sure and it would look good if you took the NRA class at the very least as a refresher. I know Genesee Conservation League offers it (in pennfield). I'm sure rochester rifle club, genesee brooks or outers may also offer it.

3. That's a matter of personal preference. Since you've never carried you are probably a bit intimidated (as you should be) until you get used to having a gun on all the time. I wondered where I should/should not carry before I got my permit. Now I carry pretty much everywhere I go without a second thought. I carry a Keltec P-3AT when I need something small that disappears easily.

Now for the good part.... (i'm speaking from what i've seen happen to other people here... no guarantees). Since you've never had any trouble with the law you will get your carry permit and it will be unrestricted so you can carry wherever it is legal to do so.

If you live in Rochester, the city court will process the application. I hear they are basically "shall issue".

If you live ouside of the city the county court will process the application. The county court is also basically shall-issue.

The bad part... It takes FOREVER. They tell you one year when you turn in the application. From what I hear it's taking about 7-8 months in the county court right now. Not sure about the city court but it's probably the same. They get behind and ahead based on how many people are on desk duty I guess. My coworker talked to the sheriff and was told the officer hurt his back and was helping with permits until he was back on the road so it fluctuates based on their office staff.

I think I know where you work. If it's the place i'm thinking of it's kind of near the zoo? I don't want to advertise where you work in case I'm right.

edit: also, everyone always asks what to put for the reason for applying. Your class will probably shed some light on that. I put "Hunting, Target/Competition, Personal Protection" and got an unrestricted permit. It's wise to mention personal protection or personal defense in that line.

I too live in Rochester...well...like darkvibe, in the burbs (only on the other side of Rochester) I'm in the middle of the process myself...got everything together just still looking for a few references. Darkvibe covered it pretty well, but drop me a line with any questions you have.
    Not to hijack, but where do you shoot darkvibe?

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Not to hijack, but where do you shoot darkvibe?
    He could probably benefit from this too...

I'm still looking. I narrowed my search to somewhere with an indoor range. That means Rochester Rifle Club and Genesee Conservation League.

I was all set to join RRC. I had someone to sponsor me in and I went to their community pistol league one night this winter. Everyone there was friendly and great and it's a nice place. I got an application and the range rules. When I read the rules they have one that says something like "no more than 5 rounds shall be loaded into a gun or magazine." It really turned me off. You can't even load 6 rounds into your 6-shooter?! I don't own anything with more than a 10 round magazine but it would annoy me to stop and reload every 5 rounds. I don't know if it's enforced but I don't want to break their rules.

I'm going to check out GCL with a co-worker when our schedules match up. He has 2 young kids so his free time is non-existent. GCL is expensive but they have a ton of events. My only concern there is that the indoor range is closed to regular members because of leagues a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    He could probably benefit from this too...

I'm still looking. I narrowed my search to somewhere with an indoor range. That means Rochester Rifle Club and Genesee Conservation League.

I was all set to join RRC. I had someone to sponsor me in and I went to their community pistol league one night this winter. Everyone there was friendly and great and it's a nice place. I got an application and the range rules. When I read the rules they have one that says something like "no more than 5 rounds shall be loaded into a gun or magazine." It really turned me off. You can't even load 6 rounds into your 6-shooter?! I don't own anything with more than a 10 round magazine but it would annoy me to stop and reload every 5 rounds. I don't know if it's enforced but I don't want to break their rules.

I'm going to check out GCL with a co-worker when our schedules match up. He has 2 young kids so his free time is non-existent. GCL is expensive but they have a ton of events. My only concern there is that the indoor range is closed to regular members because of leagues a lot.
    I just joined GCL and would be happy to take either of you as a guest if you would be interested in checking it out before joining....of course, I have 2 young kids too so I don't have a lot of time either. I didn't like the cost, but it's really a nice club...people are nice, they have a "concealed carry shoot" every week and a nice outdoor "action" range where movement and drawing from a holster is permitted...all of which will be very nice once I finally have my permit and can transfer my handguns into the state! There is no capacity limits on magazines and no rate of fire limits like the "one round per second" rule that some places have. If you join at the gunshow then they will give you 14 months and use of the indoor range for ~225..then it's ~125/year after that.
    The other thing to note about the indoor pistol range and the use by leagues is that the range has two sides and if only one of them is in use by a league then you can still use the other side...I think there are 12 stations on each side??? thought I could be wrong on that last part.

Thanks for the replys. That cleared up a lot of stuff for me.

Right now im living in the city in the southwedge. I grew up in mendon and the address on my drivers license is still a mendon one but im planning on using my city address on the application. Ill probably be switching the drivers license address over to the city one soon too if im going to be staying in this place for a while longer. I dont work near the zoo though. Its near eastview mall.

Quote Originally Posted by evansut7 View Post
    I dont work near the zoo though. Its near eastview mall.
    Ah. I was thinking The Garage Door on Clinton near St. Paul.

You shouldn't have any problems with your permit though. They are pretty relaxed here. I've never heard of anyone with a clean record even getting a restriction on their permit.

I'll try to find out if 7-8 months is still the timeframe when I talk to the guys at work tomorrow.

Thumbs up

To tell you the truth 7-8 months doesnt even sound to bad for me. It will give me plenty of time for more education and training since this is pretty new to me. Its not something I really want to jump into as im a little apprehensive about carrying a gun and I want to be an expert before I take a step out the door with one.

On a side note, and this might sound like a stupid question haha, will I be able to test out the guns im looking at before I buy one? Any recommendations for places in Rochester to go and look?

Quote Originally Posted by evansut7 View Post
    On a side note, and this might sound like a stupid question haha, will I be able to test out the guns im looking at before I buy one? Any recommendations for places in Rochester to go and look?
    I don't know of a place to test a gun out except for shooting a friend's gun. You can't rent a gun around here like at public ranges in some states. As for shops... I will PM you.

If you work over by eastview then you can check out Victor Pro Gun. They have a decent selection there. As for trying one out, I don't know that you will have much of an option to try before you buy if you want to buy before you have your permit. If you want to wait until you get your permit then you can try out any gun that the owner is willing to let you use (assuming they are there). Gander Mountain won't even let you hold the guns in the store without seeing a valid NYS permit so....
    another option, since you don't have much firearms experience, is to get familiar with a rifle first...you don't need a permit of any kind (just go in and buy it)....heck you can pick up a good .22 rifle for less than $150 and if you liked GCL then you can even shoot it in the indoor range...not to mention the price of ammo is very easy to deal with. It's a good way to get into shooting if you ask me.

Sponsored Links