Texas CHL and private boat carry?

This is a discussion on Texas CHL and private boat carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not been able to find any law that refers to concealed carry on a private boat (pontoon,bass boat etc.) I would think a ...

Thread: Texas CHL and private boat carry?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

I have not been able to find any law that refers to concealed carry on a private boat (pontoon,bass boat etc.) I would think a Texas CHL would be ok on land or water?Who governs the waterways?Dept of Parks an Wildlife?I also wonder if a game warden,if that is the proper term,stops you,do you need to show your CHL?Thanks for your input.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    It depends on who owns the lake. If its a state park/lake then you'd fall under the rules and laws of Texas and Dept of Parks and Wildlife, if its a federal or national forest then you would fall under federal regulations. Take for example Lake Lewsiville, it is patroled by the Corps of Engineers which makes it federal property, but its patroled by a city police department, county sheriff's deputys as well as Corp of Engineers Park Rangers.

I suggest that you contact the specific lakes governing authority to see what rules apply there. Was in a state run campsite of a national forrest this weekend which has posted no weapons period, including concealed carry. Kinda different and depends on the authority running the facility.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Neches River

thanks,fed.I am actually talking about the Neches River in Texas.I will check with the different authorities.

VIP Member
    unless its a federal park/wildlife area or on private property and they have it properly posted, you're ok to carry
    and YES if a game warden asks for DL/ID you have to tell them, they are the same as police officers in this regard
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would think that the boat would be the same as a camper , or a home , with a higher expectancy of privacy than walking down a sidewalk . that being said , like a camper or a car where you are may well regulate what you can do .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I found this information concerning CHL in state parks in Texas.

Rules for Carrying Firearms in Texas State Parks or Public Hunting Lands

It is an offense to:

1. possess a firearm with a cartridge or projectile in any portion of the mechanism, except when authorized by the commission or the director;

2. display a firearm, except when authorized by the director; and

3. discharge across, in, or into a state park any arm, firearm, or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying public or private property except when authorized by the director.

On July 8, 1998, Executive Director, Andrew Sansom signed Executive Director Order No. 98-001 which reads as follows:

Nothing in the Public Hunting Lands Proclamation or State Parks Proclamation prohibits a person from possessing a concealed handgun, loaded or unloaded, under the authority of a concealed handgun license issued by this state or any other state. Persons carrying concealed handguns must comply with all concealed handgun laws.

The Executive Director reserves the right to prohibit the carrying of all firearms during certain events or in certain locations on Departmental lands.

This order is issued pursuant to Title 31, Texas Administrative Code, Sections 59.134 (f) (1) and 65.199, and is effective immediately.

VIP Member
    longtrain......

Texas Senate Bill 501 made it legal for CHL holders to carry on any state, county, or municipal owned or leased property (except for the areas listed in the chl section such as court houses, schools, prisons/jails)
    so a chl can carry onto land, lakes, rivers, and into buildings in and on state parks property

The law that allows a place to ban CHL holders by posting a sign (Penal Code 30.06) does not apply to a CHL holder on property owned or leased by a government entity, as long as it is not a premises or other place prohibited under 46.03 and 46.035 (the main prohibited-places lists).
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I still haven't gotten any sort of reply to this Email I sent a few weeks ago:

To: CESAM-DE@sam.usace.army.mil
    Date: Mar 26, 2007 8:57 AM
    Subject: Firearms on Corps Lakes

To whom it may concern:
    According to 36CFR327.13, "The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks, is prohibited unless: ... (d) Written permission has been received from the District Engineer."

I live in the vicinity of Lake Allatoona in Georgia. I have also been issued a Georgia Firearms License to carry a firearm. I would like to know how I go about securing written permission to posses a loaded firearm at the lake.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
    mzmtg
    Acworth, GA

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    After being threatened by a pack of feral dogs while hiking on USACE land in Kansas, I no longer care what the Army Corps of Engineers or any other agency thinks about me carrying a weapon on OUR (not their) land.

The Neches River is a navigable stream and part of the public domain (that is the citizens of the State of Texas). In other words, it is public land/property that falls under the jurisdiction of the Texas General Land Office. It is not part of any state or federal park. There are parts of the river that run through state parks and federal preserves such as the Big Thicket National Preserve (federal) and Steinhagen Lake (Texas Parks and Wildlife).

However, the river itself is public property. The Big Thicket corridor runs along the banks of the river south of Dam B on Steinhagen.

So, the same laws that apply anywhere else in Texas applies on the river. The same can be said of the laws governing that area along the river (the banks and beyond). In other words, don't get out of the boat and trespass on someone else's property. Where is the line between private ownership and the public river? Well it can get pretty technical to define the exact line, but the simplest way to define it is as long as you and the boat are in the water no matter how shallow, you're okay. Any streams feeding into the river are a different story. Those streams may be private property.
    Last edited by txshooter; April 24th, 2007 at 08:39 PM.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Longtrain, Zebra, and TXShooter

Great posts!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Dang.

I sure miss the good old days when it really didn't matter. Many of us then had a 410 shotgun or .22 to dispatch snakes, gars and such.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Sponsored Links