Schools answer to security, same old crap.

Schools answer to security, same old crap.

This is a discussion on Schools answer to security, same old crap. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Obviously campus emails and cell phones are going to save us while we await the arrival of the campus PoPo. In the face of an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Schools answer to security, same old crap.

Obviously campus emails and cell phones are going to save us while we await the arrival of the campus PoPo.

In the face of an unfathomable tragedy, it is heartwarming to see how the entire country, including the higher education community, has come together in support of the students, faculty, staff and alumni of Virginia Tech. Chairman **** began this Tuesday's meeting of the *** Board of Trustees with a moment of silence for all at Virginia Tech. Many prayers and expressions of sympathy have been offered by individuals and groups at ***, and I am hopeful that Virginia Tech can take some solace in knowing of the widespread support.

I hope you will attend tonight's prayer vigil in honor of the Virginia Tech victims and their families. It will be held at 6 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom, and is open to persons of all faiths and backgrounds. The event is being organized by Dr. ****, who serves as faculty advisor for the Newman Club.

At times like these, our campus community understandably has concerns about how we would respond to a similar situation. While unfortunately it is impossible to guarantee 100% safety anywhere, we take the security and well-being of our students, faculty and staff very seriously. I met on Wednesday with Chief ***** and others in our leadership team to assess our security. In addition, all the State University System presidents had a phone conference with Chancellor *****on Wednesday afternoon to review and discuss campus safety in the context of the Virginia Tech tragedy. The members of the Police and Public Safety Department have special law enforcement training to deal with a myriad of situations that hopefully never will occur -- and our faculty and staff also are trained in a variety of support services. Following the events at Virginia Tech, Student Affairs, Student Housing, and Human Resources staffs have been available to provide special counseling and other assistance if needed. These professionals have specialized training, and they are available to provide this kind of support throughout the year.

In addition, Chief *** and the officers of ****'s Police and Public Safety Department are available to respond to any concerns you may have. There are two things I urge each one of you to do -- (1) If you ever see or hear something you feel is unusual and could pose a threat, let our officers or other staff know. We all have read of evil plans that were thwarted because someone heard something and reported it, regardless of how trivial it seemed. (2) Please register your cell phone on our e2Campus notification system by visiting *******. We have email capabilities for alerting all students, faculty and staff, but this additional coverage via your cell phone is very important. There is no cost to register on our e2Campus notification system, and it will take you less than one minute to do so.

The legacy of those who so tragically lost their lives at Virginia Tech may well be the important reminder to campuses across the nation that we all share in the responsibility for our safety. Tonight's prayer vigil will offer an opportunity for our campus community to come together in heartfelt sympathy and support for our colleagues in Virginia, and I hope you can attend.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Ok, I hate to step on anyones toes especially after this VT tragedy, but what is the purpose of a prayer vigil? They're not being really being vigilant (which is more of a sheepdog trait). It seems to me just another reason for folks to get together and have a meaningless pity party. They don't solve any problems(hence why I call it meaningless). Don't get me wrong, unfortunately I've had a close friend who lost a daughter(recently) to PURE EVIL scum of the earth, so I have a clue as to what pain feels like, but these vigil things are getting really old really quick. Some say their vigils are for a show of support for families or war vets or something or other...ok, I can slightly understand that, but what does support really mean? Does it mean you're going to be there for them...physically, emotionally, financially, what? Others say they use them for calls to peace or ends to violence. Ok, again...do they actually think criminals hear and care about their calls for peace or ends of violence?

Or am I just asking a set of questions that no one seems to know the real answer to, because there is no answer to an illogical action brought on by a lack of reason?

as to the cell phones saving our lives...they do have those ones with the little .22's built in.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Same ol BS fed to the sheep, and they lap it up.

I know this site has a strict policy of not allowing discussions that openly flaunt the law, but at some point one has to say: **** it.

Same 'plan' as at VT. Cell phones and e-mails and police. We know how well that will work.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

That's pretty much the exact same press release my university sent out last week. It makes me wonder - if every college security force has this "special training" why does this keep happening?

i go to fsu, they sent out a mass email about how they have loud speakers installed all over campus and the police are conducting drills once a year.

Only problem is i've been going to fsu for 3 years and never seen a campus police officer but once. I'm starting to think they're just a myth.

I am certain VT Campus security has special training along with the thousands of other LEO's around the country but I bet none of them were present for any intervention until after the fact.

I hate to use such a crude analogy...but waiting for the police to respond to a school shooting is like using dynamite to move a port-o-potty.

You may eventually solve the problem you intended to, but not before you and a bunch of other people end up in a whole world of #@!$.

- Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    As I understand it carry on campus in Virginia isn't against the law, it is merely against school policy... which may get you expelled, but not put in jail.

Something to think about if you go to school in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Same ol ******** fed to the sheep, and they lap it up.

I know this site has a strict policy of not allowing discussions that openly flaunt the law, but at some point one has to say: **** it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Ok, I hate to step on anyones toes especially after this VT tragedy, but what is the purpose of a prayer vigil? They're not being really being vigilant
    Vigil is not standing watch but watching inside yourself. It is a spiritual observance or instrospection.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The best my school could come up with was an email to everyone stating "feel free to contact the chaplain or one of the counselors to discuss your feelings about the shootings at VT"

I feel safer already.

When are they going to do something worthwhile to beef up security. It seems to me that all they want to do is hold one long never ending pity party. This dose nothing for the security of the remaining students. It's time for the universty to crawl outof its shell and allow CCW on campus. They had a security department witch could not seem to stop this tragedy. All the warning signs were there and there was ample warnings that should have triggered a response to this problem before it turned into a tragety.

Hey, if it doesn't work, do it twice as hard.

They will never learn. What the heck would it take for them to admit that letting the students CCW would be a good idea.

I can answer that myself. They NEVER will admit that because that would require them to relinquish some measure of control over their student body.

College is supposed to be where these kids learn to be individuals who think for themselves but in reality, the college is just trying to keep them dependent on them. And in truth, college is a place where they try to brain wash you into being a life long liberal. Depend on the state. We will protect you. Then, when it becomes obvious that they can not protect you, they try to shift the blame to someone or something else.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This thread is addressing two unrelated things. As Miggy stated the vigil is about post truama healing, not about security. It is an activity that serves--to some degree--the same purpose as the Critical Incident Stress Debriefings I do with first repsonders after particularly truamatic incidents. The debriefings are more structured and effective, but not a realisitic approach for large amounts of people.

Security is like control, most of it is an illusion except for the "self" variety. I appreciate our LE where I'm at. When I was at school, the campus police were armed. The police will never be able to adequately protect us and I really don' think it is realistic to try to put that on them. They are enforcers of the law, not protectors of the people. If I were a student now, with a permit to carry, I'd carry. Screw the policies. Get an estremely low profile pocket gun, and make sure noone sees it...but then that is the idea any way isn't it. It would be the same if I were an employee on campus...

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    IMHO, a "gun free zone" only creates a "barrel of fish" and we all have heard what it's like.

As for law and carry on campus, It is unlawful to carry on campus, that's a big part of the stink, Tech was a big player in making Collage campuses off limits, then they applied their own policy against any weapons to further drive home the message.

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.
    House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.
    Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
    How safe do they FEEL now?

IMHO, the blood of at least some of these victoms is on Mr. Hickner hands.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links