CC .45ACP suggestions?

This is a discussion on CC .45ACP suggestions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger P345!...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CC .45ACP suggestions?

Ruger P345!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

This is an easy question with an easy answer: XD-45. It comes in three different barrel lengths, a compact 4" version (shorter grip), and a subcompact 3" version.

Forget the other suggestions. They might make sense for other people, but not you, because as you said, you love your XD-9c.

1911: same grip angle and grip safety, but it has an external safety you'll have to mess around with that you won't be used to. It also doesn't hold many rounds(7-8 usually). The XD-45 holds 13+1, and the compact version holds 10+1. The compact also has a longer magazine that holds 13 and extends the grip so it's the same size as the standard-size model, for times when you don't need the compactness and want a better grip.

Glock: don't do it. Totally different grip angle will have you shooting way too high because of the muscle memory you've developed with your XD. Also doesn't have a grip safety. And if I recall properly, the Glock 45ACP's grip is too large because of their stubborn insistence on an all-plastic magazine. The XD-45 has a smaller, comfortable grip size because they used a metal magazine.

Other guns aren't single-action like your XD, and you'll be fumbling with things like decocking levers that your XD doesn't have, or suffering with a trigger that feels totally different between the 1st round and subsequent rounds.

If you like your XD that much, are used to its controls, are familiar with its disassembly and operation, like its features like the loaded-chamber and striker-cocked indicators and metal trigger and sights (not plastic like the Glock), and don't really want to change to something totally different, I'd advise you to make the simple choice and just pick up an XD-45.

dwolsten...Thanks you may have convinced me.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    After reading the reviews of the XD 45 compact, that comes with the service model barrel and shorter grip (with the added bumper on a mag making it a service model size) it gives you the choice of what Colt calls the CCO model of a Commanders slide with a Officers grip, in the XD frame that you are already comfortable with. The grip will be just a tad larger than a 1911 and it comes highly recommended.

Another option is the new Kahr Tactical 45 which gives you a slim griped pistol, good trigger and extra barrel length.

Good luck.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I like the Officer's Model for carry.

Para Carry.
    Short grip, short slide.
    Or a full size 1911.
    I like 'em both.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Thumbs up

Full-size 1911, no question.
    The G30 is not a bad shooter though.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

XD45C or a 1911.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Seeings how you currently own a XD-9, love it and are looking for a 45 acp with similiar dimensions and functions then the XD-45 Tactical, Service or Compact would be the logical choice. I switched my EDC from a XD-45 Service to a XD-45 Compact some months back and am twice as happy.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Sig P220 650.00

Lasermax 350.00

Look on B/G face when red dot is on his/her chest priceless.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

New Member Array Abnsteel06vette's Avatar
    I own a XD 45 ACP and after shooting 1911 for 25 years and a 9mm Barretta for over 14 years I find the XD 45 ACP a much more superb gun.

All The Way!

Carlos Rodriguez, Colonel, US Army

One more vote here for the XD45. It was the first Xd I tried, very battered range rental and it still spat out everything I put through it.
    Reminds me I need to get one.

Another vote for the XD45 here. I recommend a trigger job though.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Curious about what you go with. Post when you get whatever you get.
    I have \ carry S&W's CS45. It came with 3 mags. I carry one of the extras on my belt in a little nylon carry case that originally came with a cheap multi tool.
    Great shootin little 45. At 25 ft I can group in the space a door knob would take up.
    For God, Family and Country!

Not to drag you around but there are several false statements in your post.

This is an easy question with an easy answer: XD-45. It comes in three different barrel lengths, a compact 4" version (shorter grip), and a subcompact 3" version.
    The XD45 only comes in 4" barrel, (service & compact with shortened grip, not shortened barrel) and 5" tactical.

Glock: don't do it. Totally different grip angle will have you shooting way too high because of the muscle memory you've developed with your XD. Also doesn't have a grip safety. And if I recall properly, the Glock 45ACP's grip is too large because of their stubborn insistence on an all-plastic magazine.
    First of all, I don't believe that you can make blanket statements about how someone will shoot differently with different guns. I can burn 100 rounds through my XD45, set it down and pick up a Glock of any make (but we'll use the Glock 30 for caliber comparison) and shoot the same all day long. Also, Glock's magazines are not all plastic, they are plastic covered metal. Also, I used to be concerned about the lack of a grip safety on the Glock's until I spent a lot of range time with them. I feel they are just as safe as an XD in the hands of a person who knows how to handle a firearm.

I do agree with the part about controls familiarity and such of the XD. But until they decide to make a sub compact model, it will not conceal as easily as a Glock 30, 36 or a 3" 1911 style pistol.

My recommendation would be a Para Carry since the trigger will be similar to the XD. Yes it has a slide lock safety but with a DAO trigger it would be up to the individual as to whether they chose to use it.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links