CC .45ACP suggestions? - Page 4

CC .45ACP suggestions?

This is a discussion on CC .45ACP suggestions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you like your XD, then I'd start your search with the XD 45 models. IF you are not 100% convinced after handling one, then ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CC .45ACP suggestions?

If you like your XD, then I'd start your search with the XD 45 models.
    IF you are not 100% convinced after handling one, then widen your search to the guns suggested. I'm partial to Glocks and have several in 9mm & .40. I've not added a .45 to my collection yet, but I'm considering it.

I'd say you should look at the XD45 Tactical or Compact, Glock 30 or maybe the S&W M&P .45 and a Commander length 1911 from one of the reputable makers.
    Jack

Springfield XD-45 Compact will be my next purchase!
    baddawgy
    "We fight not to enslave, but to set a country free, and to make room upon the earth for honest men to live in."
    Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 4, September 11, 1777

Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    First of all, I don't believe that you can make blanket statements about how someone will shoot differently with different guns. I can burn 100 rounds through my XD45, set it down and pick up a Glock of any make (but we'll use the Glock 30 for caliber comparison) and shoot the same all day long.
    Then I guess you aren't using muscle memory, or are being very careful with sighting. People using any muscle memory at all will have trouble, simply because the grip angle is different. This is a fact, and cannot be argued. The XD was intentionally designed with the same grip angle as the 1911 so that it'd be natural for 1911 shooters to use.

Also, Glock's magazines are not all plastic, they are plastic covered metal.
    What difference does it make what's underneath the plastic? The point is Glock stupidly puts plastic there, for no reason but to take up space. This results in a grip with a larger circumference than it should have. This isn't a problem with a 9mm, but with 45ACP it is. So why does Glock insist on the plastic? That's the whole reason they invented the 45GAP round. The XD makers were a little smarter: they just made the magazine out of plain ol' stainless steel.

Also, I used to be concerned about the lack of a grip safety on the Glock's until I spent a lot of range time with them. I feel they are just as safe as an XD in the hands of a person who knows how to handle a firearm.
    Maybe, but the grip safety is an added element of safety that the Glock simply doesn't have. More importantly, the person who started this thread is already used to the XD, so this is an important consideration to him.

I see a lot of posts here where people are just tooting the horns for their own favorite guns. I'm pushing the XD, not just because I like it, but more importantly because this guy already has an XD (in 9mm), and claims to love it. For something for self-defense, it doesn't make any sense for him to move to a different platform; it's simpler and easier to stick with what he knows, is used to, and most importantly is happy with. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

[QUOTE]I do agree with the part about controls familiarity and such of the XD. But until they decide to make a sub compact model, it will not conceal as easily as a Glock 30, 36 or a 3" 1911 style pistol.[\QUOTE]

That's true; they don't have a 3" model yet. That's a choice the OP will have to make for himself. Personally, I don't think the extra 1" in barrel length is a problem, but that's just MHO. I've found the grip length seems to be more of a problem than the barrel length.

My recommendation would be a Para Carry since the trigger will be similar to the XD. Yes it has a slide lock safety but with a DAO trigger it would be up to the individual as to whether they chose to use it.
    For a non-XD recommendation, this is probably the best one I've seen here in this thread. Do you mean the "Carry 12" with 3.5" barrel? Same grip angle as XD, grip safety, 12+1 rounds, DAO; looks like a pretty good choice to me.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I am trying to see how a Para is close to the design outside the XD? You rate a Para higher than a Kahr, Glock ect? Thats interesting. Different trigger feel and length, added thumb safety, and a still active post on a cracked slide on one just recently? Now I like Para's but to say that its the best of all the other recomendations is a pretty big leap. Its one to consider, but best I wouldnt say.

I think the best is the ones that fits his hands and he shoots the best, other than that there all good recomendations.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

45 cal

Try a Glock 30, I carry one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    USP compact .45. It's my EDC and I love it!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    I think the best is the ones that fits his hands and he shoots the best, other than that there all good recomendations.
    That's why I recommend the XD. He already likes his other XD. The Glocks probably won't shoot well for him because of the different grip angle. At least the 1911s will be familiar to him that way.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    My next purchase for CC....Kimber Raptor Ultra II .45 ACP
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    stanislaskasava...What type do I seem like?
    I only meant that you started a thread in early April about how you carry with an empty chamber. This will negate what I think is a great feature of the 1911's design -- instant single action trigger via cocked and locked carry.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Holyroller

I have never shot an XD but with your post about not feeling comfortable with a round in the chamber of the XD (and I assume you would feel the same way about a Glock) I would highly recommend an Ultra Kimber.

I love mine and they have a new one out that is camo if you are in to that type of thing!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

los
    My 1981 Detonics CombatMaster.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

My next purchase: Para-Ordnance Covert Black Slim Hawg .45 ACP

John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

I started carrying with one in the chamber since that thread, no worries. Thanks all, great posts.

Im alittle biased against the glock cause the bigger grip,and it's grip angle,but have been impressed by them.

1911's fantastic,nice trigger,heavy and accurate.expensive.personally would recommend kimber,but love
    them all.

XD,going off personall experience they are the AK47 of pistols.Simply put,never seen one jam and that is REALLY important to me.If it taste's good,feals good,and works good,who care's if its ugly.OH,dont make sub compact 45 so its not really in same catagory.

Taurus pt145,just recently purchased because it has better all around stats than the glock(weight,size,price.share's some 1911 traits.And the new version is DA/SA trigger.I did the weight conversion,with a full mag and one in the chamber(11rds)it weighs just under 2lbs...!!!!

I must say,the pt is lacking in aftermarket compared to any other.no internal laser's at all,limited holster's.Almost didnt purchase cause of the no internal laser.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links