The ''deterrent'' effect

This is a discussion on The ''deterrent'' effect within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's going to depend on circumstances, I think. I do know that the number of ATM robberies and muggings in Cumberland County, NC dropped dramatically ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ''deterrent'' effect

It's going to depend on circumstances, I think. I do know that the number of ATM robberies and muggings in Cumberland County, NC dropped dramatically when the state announced the availability of CCW permits in 1996 (? Might have been '95 or '97)

The county sheriff and the Fayetteville city police department made a point of publicizing the lower incident of such robberies in the papers.

Side note: The really funny part was that virtually no one had obtained a permit yet! We were still waiting for the training criteria, fee structure, and administrivia to be formalized

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    FWIW, my experience in the criminal justice system leads me to believe that there is a deterrent effect, but not as strong a one as you would get with fully rational individuals.

I guess that's to be expected, since you generally do not find a great many cum laude university grads involved in committing violent crimes.

One guy I represented once was convicted of helping the stickup guys get away in a robbery where one of the stickup guys was shot by a CCW-licensed individual.

His take on it was not necessarily that he shouldn't be doing crimes, (though that would work). His bright idea was that he needed to part company with idiots who somehow don't plan robberies carefully enough to avoid armed citizens.

The logic only goes skin deep there 'cause you don't really have any way to know who is armed and who isn't if their weapons are concealed, and even employees of the target business might be carrying. But the logic is what it is.

Maybe the solution is to only rob places where there isn't anyone on the premises, even employees. I guess that would be a "burglary".

I'm told there are problems with that approach, too. It's easier to stick someone up than it is to defeat a good burglar alarm system and blow up/drill into a safe.

Of course, not robbing and stealing for a living might solve the problems of being shot at and the logistical difficulties mentioned above - - as well as the additional probem of going to prison.

But what do I know?
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links