Very Skeptical but now Sold on Pocket Carry!

This is a discussion on Very Skeptical but now Sold on Pocket Carry! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most times when I carry my P3AT it's in a Nemisis (Desantis) and it's in my rear pocket. Being right handed I've changed my wallet ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Skeptical but now Sold on Pocket Carry!

Most times when I carry my P3AT it's in a Nemisis (Desantis) and it's in my rear pocket. Being right handed I've changed my wallet over to the left side. A couple of weeks and I'm used to that change. The P3AT goes in the right hand rear pocket and is a non factor as far as printing goes. Left hand wallet also allows for taking my wallet out at stores etc. without showing my PCR if I carry it in my K&D OWB (right side). I wear jeans mostly so in front pocket only works for me when dressed up. (alittle more room in pants pockets then) Just my .02 worth.
    Be safe..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I frequently carry my Glock 26 in a Nemesis pocket holster. I had thought that the gun was going to just be too large, but as it turns out, the gun fits fine. I look like there is something in my pocket, but not a gun. The set up works well.

The Mika pocket holsters are fantastic, and the price and customer service are the best.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    when you talk about pocket carry are all of you talking about back pockets, or just Craig??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    when you talk about pocket carry are all of you talking about back pockets, or just Craig??
    Front pocket. Most guns, even J-frames with small grips, will stick out of most back pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    I also have recently purchase the little P3AT. Great little gun and for the most part hides in a pocket. Still looks like a gun when I sit down though. Dress-pants stretch across my thigh and say "Hey, look! This guy is carrying a small flat gun in his pocket!" :)

When I'm standing up it disappears but haven't got it quite right sitting down yet.
    The Uncle Mike's I started with did that. I split a seam on the tail and stuffed it with padding, that helped a little. Next attempt was replacing the padding with a spare mag, helped a lot more. Since I bought both a Mika and a Nemesis, and both of them do a much better job of disguising the outline. Haven't decided which one I like better, but I'm leaning towards the Mika.

I also have recently purchase the little P3AT. Great little gun and for the most part hides in a pocket. Still looks like a gun when I sit down though. Dress-pants stretch across my thigh and say "Hey, look! This guy is carrying a small flat gun in his pocket!" :)

When I'm standing up it disappears but haven't got it quite right sitting down yet.
    Go to your back pocket. Some good holsters that have a flat piece of leather on the back that leaves no print and look like you have a wallet in you pocket. I use one with my P32. No one knows.

P3AT ... Still looks like a gun when I sit down though. Dress-pants stretch across my thigh and say "Hey, look! This guy is carrying a small flat gun in his pocket!"
    Your pants are too tight for the amount of added girth you're adding. No two ways about it.

The P3AT in a decently discreet/thin holster should not print, assuming the pants give it enough room. Can't imagine those pants supporting the concealment of a 2" S&W snubbie revolver, then.

I'm nobody's svelte athlete, these days, but with the right pants I can conceal even my CZ P01 in a pocket. Of course, to do that takes pants that would put me on a hoodie-homey target list at the police precinct for sure. Tailors can do wonders, with certain clothing. In other cases, different clothing is called for. Still, the point is: adjustments to clothing might well be necessary for a given mode of carry. That should be acceptable, given that your life depends on it.

Data points: KelTec P3AT in a DeSantis Nemesis holster marginally disappears in Dockers dressy-casual slacks (relaxed fit), but completely disappears with a K&D Pocket Defender. In either case, a bulge is visible, but it's well-camouflaged. The same rigs (P3AT+Nemesis, P3AT+PD) completely disappear in the Cabela's 7-pocket Hiker slacks (with ~cargo-style main pockets, w/ accordion-style expansion folds). Can't wear even this slim carry package in any of the dress slacks I've got, since they're too darned close to the skin as it is. Use of those screams "Gun!" anytime I'm packing. Used to carry a S&W 442 snubbie in a Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy holster, and that had a neoprene facing pad that made it all-but-flat to anyone looking at that pocket. Worked very well, despite the larger girth of the revolver's cylinder.

The point? Adjust the garments to suit, else accept a degree of "printing."
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 26th, 2007 at 05:25 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've only handled a P3AT once, and can't recall if the mag release was sufficiently "stiff" enough to not depress if carrying in your rear pocket when you sit down. Can anyone comment to this and their experiences?

The Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster is ideal, easy to draw from and reholster and prints like a wallet. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, .45 ACP in mine about 95% of the time and in all my trousers from dress to jeans.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

VIP Member
    I sometimes carry a 642 in a Mika and sometimes an Uncle Mikes pockets holsters. Though it is a convenient way to carry, I have a hard time drawing. My hand wont fit far enough all the way around the grip to get a good firm hold. I feel if I was in a stressfull situation, I may not have a full hold on it and drop the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I've only handled a P3AT once, and can't recall if the mag release was sufficiently "stiff" enough to not depress if carrying in your rear pocket when you sit down. Can anyone comment to this and their experiences?
    I also have a Jaguar padded holster (cheapy) that I've tried. It's not squared off and does little to hide the shape.

I tried it in my back pocket and YES I noticed that the mag had popped out of the gun on one occasion.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I will be getting a Desantis Nemesis for my AMT (since it seems that no one makes a holster for it).

For about the last year I have been carrying it daily without a holster, and the only real detriment is that my pockets are starting to wear out.

The holster would be mainly (for me) to line the pocket. In some of my jeans and shorts, the pistol does tend to "wander" around in my pocket, but that is more of a nuisance than anything as I am always adjusting the position.

Even without the holster, noone has noticed that I have had the gun unless I have shown them.

With a little Kel-Tec (which is considerably thinner and lighter than mine), the pocket wear wouldn't be nearly as bad.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Only front pocket here, as well.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I too am new to pocket carry. I myself didn't like the P3AT but love my NAA Guardian in 32ACP. I tried rear pocket carry but it was to difficult and ackward to draw. Front pocket carry with a Nemisis holster works awesome. 95% of the time it is my BUG but for the 5% it is primary, either way it is my always with me gun. I don't even know it is there and the best part is, NEITHER DOES ANYBODY ELSE!!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links