Very Skeptical but now Sold on Pocket Carry!

This is a discussion on Very Skeptical but now Sold on Pocket Carry! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I kept hearing about "pocket carry" and had a hard time with it. I guess it is part fear of the unknown. I recently admited ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Skeptical but now Sold on Pocket Carry!

Very Skeptical but now Sold on Pocket Carry!

I kept hearing about "pocket carry" and had a hard time with it. I guess it is part fear of the unknown. I recently admited that I MUST carry at work but that my carry method must be so discrete that no one will be able to tell. IWB with a tuckable althouth good concealment left to much at risk of exposure in my line of work, and to slow to draw. I purchased a KelTec P3AT recently and reluctantly a Pocket Holster from Galco to go with it.

After 3 weeks of carrying on the job, even I almost forget its there.

Granted I prefer to carry my G19, or my XD40, but when at work those are just to big. So the P3AT becomes my best friend while on the job.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

I also have recently purchase the little P3AT. Great little gun and for the most part hides in a pocket. Still looks like a gun when I sit down though. Dress-pants stretch across my thigh and say "Hey, look! This guy is carrying a small flat gun in his pocket!" :)

When I'm standing up it disappears but haven't got it quite right sitting down yet.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I'm still wanting to get a P3AT, and might get one next month at a gun show. Lighter and a bit smaller (in width, due to lack of a rotating chamber) than a S&W 642 (which I also want to get).

I figure pocket carry would be great, and it can definitely be my "everywhere" gun.

I really like my P3AT and while I agree pocket carry is not the best, it does make it much easier to carry everywhere, should you choose to do so.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I'm over 2 years with a P3AT in my pocket. Same considerations... can't allow it to be seen, need it on my person. My smart carry worked, but pocket carry works better, and is _way_ faster to draw.

PappaScout: Get a good pocket holster.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    I also have recently purchase the little P3AT. Great little gun and for the most part hides in a pocket. Still looks like a gun when I sit down though. Dress-pants stretch across my thigh and say "Hey, look! This guy is carrying a small flat gun in his pocket!"
    Do you use a pocket holster? I thought that was supposed to mask the shape as well as protect the trigger.

try MNBurl (http://www.sideguardholsters.com/ ) for a pocket holster. HE does good work, it's not too expensive, and he's willing to make anything you want to try. (OK, not ANYTHING, but you get the idea)
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by jhollow View Post
    Do you use a pocket holster? I thought that was supposed to mask the shape as well as protect the trigger.
    It should. I pocket carry a S&W 642 revolver in a Mika pocket holster. I carry in all kinds of shorts and pants, including cargo, dockers and dress pants. It does not print "gun." Sure, in dress pants, but not in cargo or Docker shorts or pants, you can tell that there is something in my front pocket, but it could be anything, wallet, cell phone, etc. Moreover, the holster stays in my pocket when I draw. I also think that it gives you a tactical advantage if you ever find yourself in a condition Red situation. You can casually put your hand in your pocket without giving away that you have a gun, and be ready to draw instantly, if need be.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by jhollow View Post
    I do use a pocket holster. Not sure of the brand but it's a leather one that is shaped to fit the bottom of the pocket. It sounds like I need to get a soft one instead.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I kept hearing about "pocket carry" and had a hard time with it. I guess it is part fear of the unknown. I recently admited that I MUST carry at work but that my carry method must be so discrete that no one will be able to tell. IWB with a tuckable althouth good concealment left to much at risk of exposure in my line of work, and to slow to draw. I purchased a KelTec P3AT recently and reluctantly a Pocket Holster from Galco to go with it.

After 3 weeks of carrying on the job, even I almost forget its there.

Granted I prefer to carry my G19, or my XD40, but when at work those are just to big. So the P3AT becomes my best friend while on the job.

Not a big Fan of Off body carry, but if you want to go this route have you thought about book carry or even day planner carry. You could still keep your smaller gun in your pocket, but still have a bigger controllable gun to get to. Get your self a $9 dollar fake leather day planner (wally world) with a wrist strap, hollow out the inside and thats a possibility for a mid size or even a full size gun. Or You can get those books that are cut out to put a gun inside.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Not a big Fan of Off body carry, but if you want to go this route have you thought about book carry or even day planner carry. You could still keep your smaller gun in your pocket, but still have a bigger controllable gun to get to. Get your self a $9 dollar fake leather day planner (wally world) with a wrist strap, hollow out the inside and thats a possibility for a mid size or even a full size gun. Or You can get those books that are cut out to put a gun inside.
    The issue is that my job and work style don't lend itself to a day planner. People now I do everything electronically and keep very little paper handy. Suddenly having a day planner would look odd. I also work in a job where I work side by side with many different types of people. Tomorrow my department will even be doing some behavioral observation training (helping to identfy suspecious activity), so those I work with are very observent to things. Hard to get anything past a few of them, others are in chronic condition white, even with a threat staring them down.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    well DARN.....HUMMMMMM

Do you do physical Labor for work?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I'm still trying to decide on my first CCW, but have thought that a mouse gun holster could be made that would give the clear appearance of an electronic planner, pocket computer, or combo phone/computer that would clip nicely on one's belt.

Like Ron said, a 642 in a Mika Pocket Holster is a nice setup.

I carry my S&W model 36 that way occasionally, and have tried out my wife's 642 as well. What I found is that the 642, being just 5 ounces lighter than the 36, makes for a much better pocket gun.

S&W is selling a lot of those 642s, and for good reason.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I carry my Keltec P3at in a K Rat pocket holster, it conceals very well in ALL my pants pockets. It truly is the one gun I can carry with me all the time, where ever legal. Added advantage of pocket carry, if it looks like trouble might be around the corner, you can have your hand in your pocket ( a natural posture ) and your HAND already gripping the gun. What could be faster for the draw ??

KD has a 2in1 holster with an anti print panel.

It also serves as a BUG in my pocket to my other gun on my hip, when I can get by with other carry methods.
    Last edited by sass20485; April 26th, 2007 at 08:34 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links