Concealed Carbine/Rifle?

This is a discussion on Concealed Carbine/Rifle? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok people , I'm gonna ask a (stupid?) question . This especially goes to mainers who might be able to answer . If a concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carbine/Rifle?

Concealed Carbine/Rifle?

Ok people , I'm gonna ask a (stupid?) question . This especially goes to mainers who might be able to answer . If a concealed permit covers "firearms" without mention of pistol , rifle , etc , does that mean I could legally conceal carry a rifle or carbine?

State law :

A. Display in a threatening manner a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person; or [2003, c. 452, Pt. N, 2 (new); Pt. X, 2 (aff).]

B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person. [2003, c. 452, Pt. N, 2 (new); Pt. X, 2 (aff).]
    [2003, c. 452, Pt. N, 2 (new); Pt. X, 2 (aff).]

2. Exceptions. The provisions of this section concerning the carrying of concealed weapons do not apply to:

A. Firearms carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued as provided in this chapter; [2003, c. 452, Pt. N, 2 (new); Pt. X, 2 (aff).]
    But , in the hunting regulations you get this :

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. [2005, c. 477, 9 (amd).]
    Here's the whole text for a concealed permit , and nowhere does it specify "pistol"

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statu...25sec2003.html

Anyways , just wondering about it . Not thinking of carrying my M44 concealed , lol , but my SUB 2000 on the other hand

2. Remove Ads

Here in Michigan they are called CPL just for that reason. P = Pistol but you knew that. Some states are CHL and so on. I do not think there is a true CCW license anymore but I could be wrong.

yes BUT, as the regs, state you can't have it in a motor vehicle otherwise you are illegally "hunting".
    but if you want to walk down the street with a short rifle or shotgun under your trenchcoat then you can legally do that...though, again, if you are in the woods and/or it is a Sunday then you can also be hunting illegally if I recall my ME hunting laws correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmmatssc View Post
    Ok people , I'm gonna ask a (stupid?) question . This especially goes to mainers who might be able to answer . If a concealed permit covers "firearms" without mention of pistol , rifle , etc , does that mean I could legally conceal carry a rifle or carbine?

State law :

But , in the hunting regulations you get this :

Here's the whole text for a concealed permit , and nowhere does it specify "pistol"

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statu...25sec2003.html

Anyways , just wondering about it . Not thinking of carrying my M44 concealed , lol , but my SUB 2000 on the other hand
    What the hell are you going to conceal it under even if it's folded? Nevermind...I'm not a "mainer" but just glancing over it it seems they use the word "firearm" throughout the code and the only time handgun is mentioned is for basic training requirements. If you go up a section to 2002 Definitions, you get this: 6. Firearm. "Firearm" has the same meaning as set forth in Title 17-A, section 2, subsection 12-A.[1985, c. 478, 2 (new).]

Title17-A section 2, subsection 12-A defines them as: 12-A. "Firearm" means any weapon, whether loaded or unloaded, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive and includes any such weapon commonly referred to as a pistol, revolver, rifle, gun, machine gun or shotgun. Any weapon which can be made into a firearm by the insertion of a firing pin, or other similar thing, or by repair, is a firearm.[1983, c. 219 (amd).]

The law reads pretty clear but I wouldn't want to be the test case!
    -just my laymans opinion from reading the links to the state law you already provided.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The only way to be comfortable with a question like this would be to ask a lawyer, or call the DA's office.

In Missouri, it's a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapons) permit, and I can carry any weapon that isn't illegal to possess in the state.

Just how are you planning on concealing a carbine, anyway?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Well , the original intention wasn't that I wanted to carry any thing other than my pistol . My question was posed because I noticed the lack of any law prohibiting the carry of a concealed rifle (with concealed permit) Just got me to wondering .

now as far as how to I conceal a carbine? During the summer I couldn't , but during the winter I wear a pretty hefty camo LL Bean jacket that could hide a couple of midgets (if they don't move) .My little SUB 2000 is actually quite compact and COULD be used during the winter with no problem .

That being said , I have no ambition to carry anything other than my pistols (for now) . Was just a question .

Assistant Administrator
    I think it's all down to state laws and practicalities too.

PA is Licence to carry firearm, concealed. I guess a long coat could conceal quite a few things longer than a pistol, but we are talking 16" min barrel length methinks !
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

AK pistol...?

No, I don't pack one around...

IN MN, the law will allow you to carry a longarm in public but not loaded in a vehicle. Of course, you're GOING to get calls to the PD depending on where you choose to exercise this carry option.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    The only way to be comfortable with a question like this would be to ask a lawyer, or call the DA's office.

In Missouri, it's a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapons) permit, and I can carry any weapon that isn't illegal to possess in the state.

Just how are you planning on concealing a carbine, anyway?
    Before
    http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3.../concealed.jpg

After (and my XD was at 3:00 right beside it)
    http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...atssc/open.jpg

Had to try it ,lol , and believe it or not , works pretty decent . I looked in a full lengh mirror and couldn't tell it was there .

Oklahoma has a well out-lined rule. Nothing larger than 12" i think and nothing larger than .45
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    You must first DEFINE "FIREARM".

In PA. the following is the definition (Uniform Firearms Act )..........

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6102.html

"Firearm."
    Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

------
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I'd hate to be in front of a jury after I used it for self-defense. :-P
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    I do not think there is a true CCW license anymore but I could be wrong.
    There is in Kentucky. There it is a concealed weapon license and you can conceal any knife, pistol, club, rifle, or any other legal weapon that you can hide on yourself.

I carry my AR 15 in a guitar case. I asked a county LEO if I can carry it in a store or carry on my back like a back pack. The LEO said no you have a concealed pistol permit, not a concealed riffle permit. That's the rules in Washington state. I'm sure the rules are different in your state.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links