Defensive Carry banner

Huckabee's son arrested with handgun

3K views 26 replies 26 participants last post by  njeske 
#1 ·
Huckabee's son arrested with handgun
By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer
23 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - David Huckabee, a son of Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, was arrested at an Arkansas airport Thursday after a federal X-ray technician detected a loaded Glock pistol in his carry-on luggage.

"I removed the bag and asked Mr. Huckabee if he knew what he had in the bag," Little Rock police officer Arthur Nugent wrote in a report after he was summoned to a security checkpoint. "He replied he did now."

Huckabee, 26, later pleaded guilty in Little Rock District Court after being charged with a misdemeanor count of possessing a weapon in a prohibited place.

District Judge Lee Munson gave Huckabee a one-year suspended jail sentence and ordered him into 10 days of community service — which Huckabee can avoid by paying $100. Huckabee will be on probation for a year. Fines and costs totaled $855.

The son of the former Arkansas governor holds a concealed weapons permit. The elder Huckabee, who said last week that Virginia Tech gunman Cho Seung-Hui perhaps could have been stopped if a teacher or student had also been armed, also has a concealed weapons permit.

Neither the former governor nor David Huckabee returned telephone messages seeking comment.

Nugent said David Huckabee had a .40-caliber Glock pistol in his black carry-on bag. Eight live rounds were in the gun — none in the chamber — and a nine-round clip was also in the bag. The weapon and ammunition were detained by Little Rock police while David Huckabee's gun permit was seized and given to the Arkansas State Police.

See less See more
#4 ·
Actually no, it isn't that uncommon for something like this to happen and you don't get charged with anything terrorist related unless you were attempting to do something terrorist related.

#16 ·
When I was younger and dumber and well before 9/11 I walked into the federal building with my bride to change her last name with social security. The guard told me I could not enter with it and that they had no place for me to check my weapon. I waited outside. There was an officer right there. He merely checked my LTC and it was a non-issue. Were the same thing to occur today, I'd lose my license and probably spend big $$$ staying out of jail.

#5 ·
I don't really worry about not remembering that I am armed with a handgun.

I think that's the EXCUSE that people like this give when they get CAUGHT TRYING to bring a handgun where it is prohibited.

(Notice that I did not say "trying to bring a handgun where they 'shouldn't.'")

#6 ·
I dunno, there are times i forget that im carrying my keltec or snubby just because im so used to them being there. (banks, post offices, and the bar section of a restuarant once) I know its no excuse but hey we all do stupid stuff when we are in a hurry. Although i would probably have to have a stroke to forget i have a glock in my carry on!!!

#7 ·
Responsibility...

Part of the responsibility of CC is knowing where your sidearm is...not leaving it unattended. Much like my feeling of 'no such thing as an AD'...it is a Negligent Discharge...PERIOD.

We have discussed individuals who have left guns behind in a bathroom...by accident?...or lack of responsibility? I guess it's a matter of WHO does it! If I should leave a gun behind or in my bag at the airport, it's an accident. If someone else should leave a gun behind or in their bag at the airport, it's negligence.

Both the accident and the negligence equal a lack of responsibility.:buttkick:

The consequences?...Not sure...I just think we must give the ultimate attention to the ultimate responsibility.

OMO...YOMV

Stay armed...not at the airport...stay safe!:hand10:

ret:urla9ub:

#9 ·
To bad he did something stupid but it is good to know that a Presidential Candidate has a CHL after I just watched the Dems and of 8 4 of them said that they have had a gun in their house during their adult life.

#11 ·
The Huckabee family is pretty pro-gun.

His wife Janet was featured on the news shooting an MP5 full auto at a police range. She was loving every minute of it.

It got quite a few responses from the antigun democrats about the image she presented.:image035:

The Huckabee men are avid duck hunters and turkey hunters and the ex gov has been featured in the Arkansas Game and Fish magazine.

For a potential presidential candidate, one could do much worse.

#12 ·
My gun is gonna be either on my hip, my safe, my night stand or my range bag.
I have to be pretty out of it to bring any of the above to a secure airport area with the gun.

#17 ·
Random thoughts:

I wonder if he'll get his gun and permit back...(maybe there should be a point system, similar to a DL)

Why would he have the gun unloaded (i.e. no round chambered)

Did the press think everybody carries "dead" ammunition?

Pet peeve: magazines are NOT clips

#18 ·
I agree with most that I always know where my CCH is at. I am not likely at all to leave it in a bag or forget it somewhere. However I am so comfortable with it on my side that I have been known to forget about it and be someplace I should not be and have to go back out to the car to disarm.

#19 ·
Stupid mistake, indeed. Mike Huckabee was the pastor at my sister's church several years ago. He is a good man. I must say I don't appreciate his politics on "public health issues", wherein he forces smokers out of restaurants and other buildings, but as was previously stated, he could make a fine president.

#20 ·
I carry 24/7. I can see forgetting about a pocket gun as you enter a post office. We are ALL human and will ALL make stupid mistakes.

However, when you go to an airport, you know you must go through the screening process. How can a gun owner not make sure he is perfectly legal before getting to the secured area?

The answer is CARELESSNESS!

Besides, the loaded gun left in a bag bothers me too.

If my gun is not one me, it is either locked in my bedside gunvault or unloaded and locked in my gun safe. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I hate to see these things happen to pro-gun people but maybe this guy should take some refresher safety course.

#23 ·
I agree with some of the guys on here. The guy made a mistake, whether he knew the gun was there or not. Everybody fouls up every once in a while. Chalk it up to experience and move on. It's too bad he may not get his CCL back. Also, I agree that having a presidental candidate that has a CCL is refreshing. I don't necessarily agree with everything Huckabee has done but I believe he's a good man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.