Our (former) diplomats at work - UNBELIEVABLE! - merge

This is a discussion on Our (former) diplomats at work - UNBELIEVABLE! - merge within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're going to think that this is a spoof but it isn't... The author is a former US diplomat to several African countries. I can't ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

You're going to think that this is a spoof but it isn't...

The author is a former US diplomat to several African countries.

I can't believe this clown and his leftist brethren have the nerve to call those on the Right fascists.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...=2007704250310

The disarming of America

Dan Simpson, a retired diplomat, is a member of the editorial boards of The Blade and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Zoom | Photo Reprints

LAST week's tragedy at Virginia Tech in which a mentally disturbed person gunned down 32 of America's finest - intelligent young people with futures ahead of them - once again puts the phenomenon of an armed society into focus for Americans.

The likely underestimate of how many guns are wandering around America runs at 240 million in a population of about 300 million. What was clear last week is that at least two of those guns were in the wrong hands.

When people talk about doing something about guns in America, it often comes down to this: "How could America disarm even if it wanted to? There are so many guns out there."

Because I have little or no power to influence the "if" part of the issue, I will stick with the "how." And before anyone starts to hyperventilate and think I'm a crazed liberal zealot wanting to take his gun from his cold, dead hands, let me share my experience of guns.

As a child I played cowboys and Indians with cap guns. I had a Daisy Red Ryder B-B gun. My father had in his bedside table drawer an old pistol which I examined surreptitiously from time to time. When assigned to the American embassy in Beirut during the war in Lebanon, I sometimes carried a .357 Magnum, which I could fire accurately. I also learned to handle and fire a variety of weapons while I was there, including Uzis and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

I don't have any problem with hunting, although blowing away animals with high-powered weapons seems a pointless, no-contest affair to me. I suppose I would enjoy the fellowship of the experience with other friends who are hunters.

Now, how would one disarm the American population? First of all, federal or state laws would need to make it a crime punishable by a $1,000 fine and one year in prison per weapon to possess a firearm. The population would then be given three months to turn in their guns, without penalty.

Hunters would be able to deposit their hunting weapons in a centrally located arsenal, heavily guarded, from which they would be able to withdraw them each hunting season upon presentation of a valid hunting license. The weapons would be required to be redeposited at the end of the season on pain of arrest. When hunters submit a request for their weapons, federal, state, and local checks would be made to establish that they had not been convicted of a violent crime since the last time they withdrew their weapons. In the process, arsenal staff would take at least a quick look at each hunter to try to affirm that he was not obviously unhinged.

It would have to be the case that the term "hunting weapon" did not include anti-tank ordnance, assault weapons, rocket-propelled grenade launchers, or other weapons of war.

All antique or interesting non-hunting weapons would be required to be delivered to a local or regional museum, also to be under strict 24-hour-a-day guard. There they would be on display, if the owner desired, as part of an interesting exhibit of antique American weapons, as family heirlooms from proud wars past or as part of collections.

Gun dealers could continue their work, selling hunting and antique firearms. They would be required to maintain very tight inventories. Any gun sold would be delivered immediately by the dealer to the nearest arsenal or the museum, not to the buyer.

The disarmament process would begin after the initial three-month amnesty. Special squads of police would be formed and trained to carry out the work. Then, on a random basis to permit no advance warning, city blocks and stretches of suburban and rural areas would be cordoned off and searches carried out in every business, dwelling, and empty building. All firearms would be seized. The owners of weapons found in the searches would be prosecuted: $1,000 and one year in prison for each firearm.

Clearly, since such sweeps could not take place all across the country at the same time. But fairly quickly there would begin to be gun-swept, gun-free areas where there should be no firearms. If there were, those carrying them would be subject to quick confiscation and prosecution. On the streets it would be a question of stop-and-search of anyone, even grandma with her walker, with the same penalties for "carrying."

The "gun lobby" would no doubt try to head off in the courts the new laws and the actions to implement them. They might succeed in doing so, although the new approach would undoubtedly prompt new, vigorous debate on the subject. In any case, some jurisdictions would undoubtedly take the opportunity of the chronic slowness of the courts to begin implementing the new approach.

America's long land and sea borders present another kind of problem. It is easy to imagine mega-gun dealerships installing themselves in Mexico, and perhaps in more remote parts of the Canadian border area, to funnel guns into the United States. That would constitute a problem for American immigration authorities and the U.S. Coast Guard, but not an insurmountable one over time.

There could conceivably also be a rash of score-settling during hunting season as people drew out their weapons, ostensibly to shoot squirrels and deer, and began eliminating various of their perceived two-footed enemies. Given the general nature of hunting weapons and the fact that such killings are frequently time-sensitive, that seems a lesser sort of issue.

That is my idea of how it could be done. The desire to do so on the part of the American people is another question altogether, but one clearly raised again by the Blacksburg tragedy.

Dan Simpson, a retired diplomat, is a member of the editorial boards of The Blade and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

OMG!!!....Has he and Dennis Kucinich LOST their FRIGGIN' MINDS??

I can give two poops if this guy had BB guns and cap guns growing up...the end result is the same....disarm the American public in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment...

Sounds like this idiot spent too much time overseas..and forgot what our Constitution said IRT the 2A ("shall not be infringed")...

Come and get'em Dan....you'll get'em

...bullets first.

VIP Member
    Sadly enough there are morons like this out there that actually think something like this would work. I suppose it would make me a part of the "from my cold dead hands"crowd. The police, which would be violating the second and fourth amendments to the constitution would undoubtedly run into more than a few people willing to fight rather than turning over their weapons. It may be the criminals fighting to begin with, but I am afraid it would be bigger than that pretty quickly. And, it would be but a matter of time before the local armory or museum was robbed and criminals took to the streets secure that they had the only weapons out there.
    Last edited by Echo_Four; April 27th, 2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Deleted an irrational rant
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

His father new the importance of owning a gun. I wonder what his father would have said about such a statment?
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

[HEAVY sarcasm] What a clever fellow. He has singlehandedly saved the United States from turning into a bloodbath. Build the man a statue. [/HEAVY sarcasm]

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Let’s burn him in effigy! Oh heck effigy did not do anything as stupid as write that article let’s not bother effigy with a bon fire.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member
    "FMCDH"
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Hahah, I seriously hope that's the most sarcastic thing ever written.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

This sounds like a story about Germany when Hitler took over. This is a very sick person.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Great idea to plung us into a bloody civil war, just throw out the entire Constitution and Bill of Rights. Idiot.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by grendel2000 View Post

Special squads of police would be formed and trained to carry out the work. Then, on a random basis to permit no advance warning, city blocks and stretches of suburban and rural areas would be cordoned off and searches carried out in every business, dwelling, and empty building. All firearms would be seized. The owners of weapons found in the searches would be prosecuted: $1,000 and one year in prison for each firearm.

Clearly, since such sweeps could not take place all across the country at the same time. But fairly quickly there would begin to be gun-swept, gun-free areas where there should be no firearms. If there were, those carrying them would be subject to quick confiscation and prosecution. On the streets it would be a question of stop-and-search of anyone, even grandma with her walker, with the same penalties for "carrying.".[/I]
    Tell that to someone who survived the Holocaust to see what their reactions are. Just the name Special Squads (SS) will send shivers down their spine.

"All firearms would be seized. The owners of weapons found in the searches would be prosecuted: $1,000 and one year in prison for each firearm."

BWAAAHAAAHAA!

Hey, I think this guy could use a nice cup of SHUT THE **** UP.
    Last edited by 9mmMick; April 27th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.
    XD9SC, S&W 637
    Taurus 85, SKS
    Nevada CCW
    Utah CCW

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    This sounds like a story about Germany when Hitler took over.
    +1. Herr Hitler would be very proud to have this individual in the employ of Dr. Goebbels, IMHO...unless, of course, he would have preferred to have him work for Reichsmarshall Goering, in the latter's capacity as the head of the Geheimestaatspolizei.

"When assigned to the American embassy in Beirut during the war in Lebanon, I sometimes carried a .357 Magnum, which I could fire accurately. I also learned to handle and fire a variety of weapons while I was there, including Uzis and rocket-propelled grenade launchers."--Mr. Simpson

In other words, this individual was in a situation where he recognized and/or accepted the need personally to be armed for defense of self, but, since two firearms out of 240 million (his words) were misused by a deranged individual, we should have Gestapo-like sweeps of American towns, cities, and countryside to confiscate firearms. Would anyone care to wager that Mr. Simpson, with his intimate knowledge of .357s, Uzis, and LAWs(?), would somehow find a way to be included in the group of "beautiful people" who, like important members of the Nazi party, were allowed to possess firearms and to use them with impunity?

Interestingly enough, when Schindler's List was being filmed, Mr. Spielberg "conveniently" omitted the fact that Oskar Schindler provided firearms to the survivors of the concentration and death camps. Mr. Simpson's ramblings are indicative of (to use Jeffrey Snyder's words from "A Nation of Cowards") "...that habit of mind possessed by all superior beings who have taken upon themselves the terrible burden of civilizing the masses and who understand, like our Congress, that laws are for other people."

I bet I could find someone in Siberia using an AK variant to hunt, does that mean I get to keep mine?

Obviously he has never read the Constitution, or just simply can't grasp the meaning.

If I recall correctly from Civics class Diplomats are appointed by the executive branch, I wonder what president appointed him?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

First, this dude is completely off his rocker.

Second, this "law" that is proposed and would be fought by the pro-gun lobby in Court would have something called the Constitution to contend with. And last I checked the Constitution is the SUPREME law of the land.

Lastly, this guy can not begin to fathom the logistical nightmare that confiscating 250 million weapons would entail. I believe civil disobedience would be in full effect by the majority of gun owners.

I need a stiff drink now.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links